1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Bilateral symptoms

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Angela, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Angela

Angela New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Hi all and happy Christmas

I was diagnosed with md in my right ear almost 3 years ago, I went through a number of difficult months but it got better as far as attacks where concerned and I haven’t had an attack since aug last year, tinnitus and that real fullness you get before an attack has disappeared however I still have liquid feeling in affected ear and lots of crackling and popping and sometimes ear pain but what concerns me is that I have the same feelings in my ‘good ear’, I am in the mountains at the moment and the drive up here was unbearable in both ears, I was unable to equalise at one point in the good ear and now I am having ear pain in both ears, no tinnitus, vertigo or hearing loss at this point.

At this point I know deep down that the virus is most likely in both ears but I guess my question is, could it be possible that I just have cochlear hydros in one ear and md in the other? I keep hoping that maybe I have etd and this is what is causing these symptoms but I never had these issues before I had md.

Does anyone else have slight ear pressure and pain in good ear but not had any other symptoms. I also get sore throat on both sides and very crackly popping ears, both ears have issues when it’s windy.

I am not taking meds at the moment because the last 6 months I have been ok in both ears, I suffered a stressful period recently and these symptoms have come back, not sure if it’s due to this or not.

I also get a tickle feeling deep down in both ears is that a common md?

Any help or details of your own experiences would be welcome

ange

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Merry Christmas! It does not sound like MD to me. More like ETD or some other issue. For me, flying or large changes in altitude does not affect my MD

3. Angela

Angela New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Hey there,
    I keep hoping that’s right, I went up the ski lift yesterday and both ears were terrible, I was chewing like mad and now I have pain from chewing so much gum all day!

I guess for me one ear with md I can mentally handle but both scare me, I have read on this forum that the other ear often starts with pressure first, I know my md ear started with sound distortion and then fullness.

Just find it strange I have all these symptoms without tinnitus, vertigo and hearing loss. I also get burning feeling in both ears do you get that?

thanks for your response!

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    No - I don't get that. Could it be a good old fashioned ear infection, like kids get?

Have you tried some antihistamine or decongestant?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    I DO get this HORRIBLE symptom, but based on the many member experiences posted, it is not common. Plus, I’ve also noticed that when it’s at its worst I usually have a sinus and/or ear infection. I agree with Donamo. If it’s okay in your particular medical suation/with medications I’d be on good old Sudafed, based on what you describe.

Ménière’s is different for each person in it’s presentation. Stress has a negative impact on most illnesses, but particularly this one. While it is quite possible that a virus(es) causes Ménière’s, it’s just as likely to be caused by genetics, allergies, autoimmunity, environmental, or a combination of any/all of these things. We all wish we knew!

Some people are more sensitive to barometric pressure changes. They really get to me. I also have to wear earmuffs in the cold. I get an earache otherwise. Stay warm, gargle with some warm salt water for that throat, have a nice Christmas night. Let us know how things go.

6. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I had a laby 2+ years ago and have the issues you describe, as well as tinnitus, in my good ear. Back with MM my otoneuro was pretty sure I had a migraine issue too. Way back then, I had virtually no headaches but since the labyrinthectomy the headaches ramped up and I have a whole host of vestibular migraine issues. Just a different angle to consider. I jumped to the worst conclusion too when my good ear started being wonky but pretty sure it’s a migraine thing and we keep working on ways to get it under control.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Angela

Angela New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Thanks Yes I have been trying allergy meds and decongestants, it doesn’t get better but my symptoms are also not getting worse ie moving on to more hectic md related symptoms, I think it wouldn’t concern me so much if it wasn’t for the possible bilateral element, I find it very stressful which of course is not helping at all!

8. Angela

Angela New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Hey thanks for your response, do you get earache with your good ear in the cold? Also do the barometric pressure changes impact your good ear also? It’s just so confusing and absorbing not knowing what’s going on with your own body, I know so far in 3 years I have been relatively lucky in terms of the vertigo, I have only had about 10 serious attacks but I am fully aware this can change but you are completely right, everyone is different, some people might be bilateral but not have such bad symptoms, I know most on this forum are most likely the worse affected by this disease so even though it’s very lovely to have the support, it’s also a little scary to hear what some people go through. My ent said 60-80 % of people manage to control symptoms without surgical intervention and live a relatively normal life, which if true, is reassuring. If mine gets bad I will be going straight down the gent or laby route but if you have symptoms in the other ear, the decision is not an easy one!

9. Angela

Angela New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    hey there, it’s hard not to jump to this conclusion especially considering the bilateral nature, it’s reassuring you had the same as me plus the tinnitus and still have no further symptoms, I have never considered anything other than md as I don’t suffer from headaches, maybe I need to read up a little more on this. Are your symptoms now worse than pre laby? Do you feel liquid in your good ear? Thanks fir your response

10. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Until a year or so ago, I never had anything but the very occasional run-of-the-mill normal headache (not migraine). Nothing a couple Tylenol couldn’t handle and really not often at all. When these true migraines started a year ago, I always thought my oto was a little out there suggesting I had a migraine issue on top of MM. But migraine doesn’t always have to mean headache, apparently. Also, I forget the exact stats but there’s a high correlation between people with MM also having migraine issues. Some researchers even go so far as to say the two disorders are two sides of the same coin.

To answer your other q, I had very severe vertigo when battling the MM which started out infrequent but really ramped up by the end of the 7 years. I have some hard days now, but they don’t even hold a candle to those vertigo attacks. The debilitating headaches I developed now are mostly under control with a preventative but I have lingering vestibular issues (both ears) we are still dealing with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    You folks on this thread are probably already familiar with this book, Heal Your Headache but just in case, I will bring it to your attention. Many on here follow his recommendations, myself included.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Yes to both of your questions. Pretty sure I’m going bilateral, but very slowly. I can assure you that for those of us that have been through a labyrinthectomy already, should the need truly arise, we wouldn’t allow ourselves to go through unrelenting vertigo and/or drop attacks before biting the bullet and ending the misery sooner the second time around. We’re wiser now, and we’ve learned from what other members have shared. There’s still life after one labyrinthectomy, and people still have a life after two. I take the mindset that it’s good to know it could get worse, but only so I’m not caught off guard should it occur. One day at a time, and one step at a time. Good luck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Ftmomof3

Ftmomof3 New Member

Oct 4, 2019
    All of the sudden I started feeling my good ear with LOTS of pressure mild tinitus and daily dizzies. Went to Dr and confirmed slight barely BUT existent hearing loss on left...so here I am. Convinced its MM

hope yours is not!