1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Blood Test came back NEGATIVE for HSV1, HSV2, and EBV — should I stop taking Lysine?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by EkkoMusic, Nov 13, 2022.

1. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Diagnosed cochlear hydrops since Feb 2021. Issues began in June 2020.

I started antivirals, later replaced with Lysine (3g/day) and OLE, and I noticed a subjective improvement all around, and objectively haven't had a single episode since on them. I have been on betahistine long-term as well, which helps.

I was officially diagnosed with a "complex case" of TMJD this past March.

I just had blood work done and finally asked them to test for HSV1, HSV2, and EBV. All three came back negative after a year of consistent lysine and OLE intake.

I am asking the experts on here what this means in terms of the root cause, whether these viruses (or other viruses) could still be at play, or whether there is a necessity for an antiviral approach at this point at all. I will persist with the AV treatment as a safeguard, but I would like to know what this finding indicates.

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Two considerations, regarding a decision to stop either the prescription antiviral or lysine.

First, and probably most important, was the relief you got after taking (first) the antiviral, and (second) the lysine. There is an exceptionally high chance that those antiviral agents stopped the replication of herpes viruses in your inner ear. With that, the inflammation the virus causes in the inner ear, which causes the symptoms of Meniere's in most cases, ceased. Can't ask for anything better. That, alone, strongly suggests that you should continue with the lysine.

Of course, you are wondering that if the blood tests for the listed viruses were negative, then doesn't that mean that viruses causing Meniere's are no longer active or present and you can then terminate either or both antivirals?

If the blood tests are entirely accurate, that would be the case. But even after their activities (replication and resultant inner ear tissue inflammation) have abated (which seems to be the case right now), the viruses may still be present in the inner ear; just not active. If that's so, when the antivirals are stopped the viruses will sooner or later re-activate, start to replicate, and the consequent inflammation will bring back symptoms.

My personal recommendation (subject to approval by your physician, of course), would be to continue with the lysine for at least another six months. A full year might be better. Then, incrementally reduce the lysine dosages each day, over several weeks, being attentive to the resumption of any Meniere's symptoms. If they appear, go back to the lysine immediately, at a full dose.

This is pretty much what I did, with the regimen I devised. After working it up and taking it, my symptoms slowly began to fade. Seemed like it was working, was preventing the reappearance of symptoms. Incidences of vertigo subsided, and later feelings of ear fullness became less severe. Finally, only some reduced tinnitus continued. After about a year, with no vertigo or fullness, I slowly backed off the regimen. Now, for well over a decade, I've had no symptoms. The tinnitus finally abated.

My best wishes. Keep us posted on your progress.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  3. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Thank you, JOH. This is the perfect reply and it honors me that you weighed in so thoroughly and quickly.

Yes, much of what you say here was my hunch as well. Fantastic having your thoughts to add in to the mix.

You summarized the situation quite well: I may have reduced my viral load and replication via the consitent Lysine intake, but if the regimen is terminated, the viruses may begin to replicate once again. Thus, some form of longterm AV therapy is optimal for maintenance.

I was also taking high Vit D during this successful period. The only warning mark on my lab report was that my vit D dose was too high (around 140 ng/mL). I will be off it for a month or two, then resume at a lower and less frequent dose.

I suppose the principle fear is if the virus can ever outsmart the regimen, as it does with pharma AVs at too low a dose. It sounds, in your case, you've acheived success with this though, at a very minimal (or completely terminated) regimen for years.

Maybe a good plan is to retest for these viruses in a year to see if levels have gone up while off Lysine — IF they would appear in such a test.

Once again, thank you, JOH.

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    The ability of the herpes virus to become resistant to lysine therapy is minimal. In herpes viral replication (the making of more herpes virions, virus particles) the amino acid arginine is used; is required. But if present, lysine is able to chemically substitute for arginine. Where an arginine would be in place a lysine interferes and gets substituted. Without arginines in the proper locations and sequences, the herpes virus becomes disabled; unable to replicate. A herpes virus using lysines instead of arginines is no longer an infective, bioactive virus; wouldn't be able to replicate itself.

Yes, vitamin D numbers above 100 ng/ml are too high. Cut your dosage 50 to 75%. Ideally, you want the level to be between 40 and 60ng/ml.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Grapejuice

Grapejuice New Member

Oct 13, 2022
    I was just wondering since you both were dealing with a viral cause, if you had any other symptoms of a viral infection or just Meniere’s. I’m trying to figure out what triggered mine after being dormant for years.

6. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    I showed no other symptoms of hepatic viral infection. Again, I wonder if my issues are borne from TMJD altogether (the only 'root cause' of Meniere's that I've actually had detected), but I do not have blood work from my pre-Lysine days to confirm if I actually had these viruses (if they even would've appeared in a test then).

7. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    For Grapejuice, I have no idea if the COVID19 virus is in any way, shape, or form related to the HERPES Simplex virus but I caught COVID on Christmas day, 2021, and coincidentally or not, my Menieres symptoms came rushing back in early January and lasted through March. Since then, I've been symptom free.

Best of health to you!