1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Can doing exercises while laying on back induce symptoms and/or an attack?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Sep 12, 2020.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I injured my lower back a few months ago and so am in physical therapy. The exercises my therapist has assigned me to do mostly involve laying on the back while doing various arm and leg movements. I started 3 weeks ago (appointment is once weekly). Every time I sit up after doing a round of practice episodes, I don't feel well - almost like a mini and very brief attack. However, beginning Thursday evening and all day yesterday I had a severe episode that left me unable to do much of anything.

Is there any possible connection between the exercises / therapy sessions and the recent episode? I realize there may not be, but it just seems like it could be more than just a coincidence being that ever since I'm on HCTZ/triamterine I get relatively few attacks or if so they're not near as severe as yesterday.

I want to do the right thing to try and strengthen my back, but neither do I want to persist with exercises that may be contributing to menieres symptoms. For years I've not been able to do much work that involves laying on my back and looking up (like doing plumbing work under a sink for instance). Anything like that can induce symptoms- hence my wondering about the 40 minutes or so that it takes to do the exercises.

I presumably have 9 PT sessions left, but not sure if I should go on. I've been trying to practice the exercises twice daily as instructed. Thanks for any input.

2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I do know the feeling you are describing. Here is what I suggest you try: Instead of sitting up, roll over on your side, then your front and slowly get up on all fours and then up. Head sort of hanging down. S l o w l y

3. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Donamo...great suggestion. So the issue may well be less with the exercises themselves and moreso with the quick sitting up from the fully reclined position.

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    That's my guess. I too do back stretches like you do and I'm okay usually, but not always so then I roll to my side. I don't have to do the all fours part - yet LOL

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Which may indicate benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

6. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    When I do yoga and go from lying down or bent over from the waist with my head hanging down, to an upright position, I must do so extremely slowly. Otherwise I risk spinning out.

On the possible BPPV, there is a simple exercise your physical therapist probably knows that can reveal if you have it. I wouild ask him/her next time you go.

Best of luck.

7. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I also suffer from BPPV and sometimes when I'm lying on the floor and either get up or turn on my side, I'll get mild vertigo. It's somewhat different from my Meniere's vertigo attacks as it's not as intense and doesn't last very long. I know it's BPPV as my doctor was able to induce it.

8. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Had another (mild) attack last night. This was the 2nd time I've had one the evening following my morning therapy session. So twice out of only 4 sessions. Not an encouraging track record. I don't know what I want to do. I like the exercises and think they have been helping, but, very honestly, I'll take the back pain any day over feeling dizzy and lightheaded. I hate all that - never knowing which side it'll be safe to sleep on. Good I'm not a person who drinks to excess - can't imagine experiencing similar symptoms repeatedly when drunk!! At least with the back issue I can still do my work, but don't feel like doing anything on days when I can barely walk without getting dizzy.

9. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I'm not sure what I have to be honest. My doctor diagnosed it as atypical meniere's at the time since back when I was diagnosed I did not yet have any tinnitus. That started later so I guess it now qualifies as 'typical' meniere's? I've been on T/HCTZ for the past year or so and that really seems to cut the frequency of attacks to a bare minimum. Far more frequent although varying degrees of symptoms started again shortly after I began the therapy. Thinking maybe I should just cancel as much as I'd like to be able to go on with it.

10. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    BPPV. I have it also and it gets me in similar situations. See about the Epley Manoever . Before you quit PT which it seems you need, explore other options. Tell your therapist as has been advised.

11. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Never actually had the epley done. I can't even get through all the usual meniere's tests - have gotten sick every time. The one they do where they blow warm air in the ear...NOPE....could not get through it. I was in the bathroom so long the last time at the ENT I think they figured I died. I discussed the issue with the PT and mentioned about maybe coming up with other exercises that don't involve laying down - but I guess there really aren't all that many besides the ones that are already part of my routine. So now I've sort of given up practicing them at home. There seems to be no way out of this situation other than to discontinue the therapy.