1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Can it really be Menieres?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Janine, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Janine

Janine New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Hello,

I am new. I am sure you get a lot of hi I am new and lost what to do with my diagnoses. I guess I will start with, I am 41. Never had really any health issues. Don't smoke, drink much caffeine or alcohol.

It all started in Feb. I had the "flu" I was pretty sick for a few weeks. It went away and I was congested for the month of March. I woke up early on morning in April and I was completely deaf out of my left ear. Now this ear always gave me trouble with ear wax, so I thought I just needed my ears flushed. Went to urgent care (COVID times, could not my DR in person) He said I had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Told me to take Suddafed to clear it up. That didn't work. Called my Primary care. She told me to take take allergy meds, and Musnex D. That didn't work.
    My ear was full. I had no dizziness, just a clogged deaf ear and a lot of pressure.
    I called an ENT. They Did a hearing test and noticed I could not hear low pitches. They prescribed me a heavy dose of Prednisone. Ordered and MRI (Came back normal) The Steroid did work clearing the fullness and it restored my hearing for the most part after 3 weeks. They also gave me a steroid shot in my ear. That injection was last Weds.

Today My hearing is kinda fading out slightly again and I have mild pressure. Still no Vertigo and a little bit of ringing in my ear that comes and goes.

Should I get a second opinion? Should I see a Neurologist? I am not 100% sold on the idea have Menieres, but what do I know?

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Google translate because I speak english bad:
    To have meniere you must have these three symptoms: vertigo attacks (not dizziness), tinnitus and hearing loss. Older people can have fullness, dizziness, ear pain, etc. But without the first three symptoms it is not minor.

From the description you give there can be many things, but in particular that it started after a "flu" quite points to the fact that this has been the cause and that the ventilation between the nose and the ear has been affected. That the steroids worked coincides with the fact that you have an inflammation in the ear that causes your symptoms, lowering the inflammation relieves you and improves you; but if you do not eliminate the main cause of the inflammation it will return. From here, you will have the problem that we all have and that is that you cannot know without tests or without trying medications what is the cause and for this you need to go to doctors, in principle everything points to an ENT problem, but if you see that you can not find a solution do not rule out a neurologist and a physiotherapist-osteopath who checks your cervical condition. Also, although it is less frequent, a dentist who checks your jaw for an TMJ (although my physiotherapist has already checked it with his hands).