1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Canadians or Europeans here?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Emily, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    JOH mentions that dr.'s in Canada and Europe often prescribe "betahistine hydrochloride, known as the product Serc" for MM sufferers... Any Canadians or Europeans who have tried this? What are the results? (If you're on this forum, chances are you are still struggling with symptoms... in which case Serc didn't work so well for you :()

2. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I used to use Serc. It made no difference to me whatsoever. For some time I was told to use really high doses of the medication ( don’t remember how high) and again it made no difference. Everybody is different. There are people who benefit from this drug.

3. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I'm in the US but did get some from Canada. I couldn't tolerate it long enough to see if it worked.
    It was dropping my BP.

Jim

4. Irishstu

Irishstu Member

Apr 28, 2019
    I also took Serc but cant really say if it made much difference, i think JOH and the B Vitamins were more effective in my case.

5. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I tried Serc. You can get it OTC in Mexico, at least you could at that time. I took it for a few weeks and didn't notice any difference, then I got the worst vertigo I've ever had. I ended up in the ER because I couldn't keep anything down even after it subsided and became dehydrated. I don't know if the Serc made me worse but after that attack, I was afraid to take it again.

6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’m in canada. I tried serc - I don’t think it helped, and it made me groggy during the day.

7. MelissaD

MelissaD New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    I'm in Canada. Have tried Serc a couple times at varying dosages but never saw any difference. There ARE some on this forum that say it works, though.

8. Janny

Janny New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    I took Serc for about 10 days...I ended up with severe cramping and constant toilet visits so stopped it. reading the side affects that was one of them...and no, it never helped the Meniers at all. I now have all my vitamins and as well as taking Benny Hills B's I am now on the JOH programme as of this very day....day 1...Janny

• Like Like x 1
  9. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Spanish here, I am taking SERC for about 40 days. I started with two 16mg pills a day, then I was upgraded to three pills a day and now I'm on two 24mg pills a day. I was told that the medicine does not start to take effect until 15 days and after six months the full effect is achieved.

In my case, after the strong attack I had slight attacks of dizziness every two days of about 45 minutes. After 10 days of taking SERC they left, but I still had the "mental fog" (I don't know what you call it here) on a daily basis. I tried to leave them to check if it was cured or if it was still bad and at 56h I had mild rare dizziness again.

There are studies that show that 70% help crises take longer and last less time, but there are also studies that say that it is a mere placebo. In the end it is like antivirals with the difference that in Europe it is recognized as a treatment for MM and doctors give it to you, with antivirals it is not.