1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

CBD Oil

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by PapaJoe, Aug 27, 2018.

1. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    CBD Oil, or even better, Full Spectrum Hemp Oil - all of the cannabinoids of the Hemp Plant (cousin to marijuana) but no THC

It's recently been legalized in the US. I can buy it locally here in NC, or I can buy it on-line.

When I undergo a treatment for my systemic yeast infection, it makes my symptoms worse. This includes triggering vestibular unsteadiness which eventually turns into vertigo. I used to keep meclizine handy as that has been my best way to knock out a vertigo attack, I could take on when I started feeling unsteady, but the meclizine can make you a bit drowsy.

But the CBD oil, a few drops at the first sign of vestibular disturbance has been able to prevent any vertigo attacks, it settles the vestibular system down nicely. It also improves mood and even a little help on the brain fog.

I carry my little bottle of CBD oil with me now, instead of the meclizine. YMMV.

It's still a bit expensive but I expect the price to drop as more people buy it and more people make it.

Using CBD oil is covering/masking the symptoms, but it's the one best thing I've taken for vertigo in the years I've been fighting it. I do not have any financial involvement with any CBD company, just sharing my good experiences with my fellow MMers.

Anyone else tried it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. April55

April55 Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Thanks for this helpful information. Can I ask what specific CBD oil you order? There are so many different ones oils to choose from that I wouldn't know where to start.

3. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I have been using medical marijuana all summer. The strain I get is 13% CBD with almost zero THC. I get all of the same benefits PJ listed.

I completely agree with PJ...For anyone on the fence I highly recommend it.

4. April55

April55 Member

Aug 10, 2017
    My state just passed medical marijuana so thank you for more details on the sort you use.

5. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    My understanding about what to buy is low, keep doing research as this is new and things will be changing. Right now it is a little bit hard to compare brands and strengths because you have to figure out mg/ml and ml/dose and percentage.

Here is what I've found:

You can get CBD isolate, which is only the CBD part of the hemp oil. It is a single type of cannabinoid which has the effects you hear about, like easing pain, stopping vertigo, improved mood, etc. The other (non-THC) cannabinoids are removed.

Then there is the f-s (full-spectrum) hemp oil, which has the natural CBD plus the other (non-THC) cannabinoids. Nobody knows what the other cannabinoids do, but most think f-s has better effects than isolate as the other cannabinoids may have similar effects.

Finally, there are the blends where they add CBD tincture to f-s oil.

You can get them as tincture (bottle with a dropper) where you can put a few drops under your tongue.

The lower strengths are the cheapest and may be enough for your situation. If not, get stronger.

Google your town and CBD Oil (if it's legal where you are) and you should find some places nearby that sells it with someone who can answer questions.

Otherwise, you can get it off of the interwebz

I have no financial interest in CBD oil (though that might not be a bad investment) but I've ordered from both of these places and was happy with the products.

The low to medium strengths have a pleasant flavor, the stronger ones get a little harsh, you can get mint.

You can also get edibles, vaping oil, and other products.

https://www.thecbdistillery.com

https://www.lazarusnaturals.com

6. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I've been undergoing treatment for my systemic infections, and the treatment causes all of my symptoms to flare temporarily (brain fog, vertigo, fatigue, skin rash, et al)

Normally, for the treatments I'd keep my meclizine handy, maybe take one in the morning since I would expect frequent vertigo. I could use meclizine to get through, but it made me groggy.

With the hemp oil, I have no vertigo/unsteadiness issues at all, and I feel more alert.

The hemp oil has allowed me to continue my treatments longer, and to be upright and moving the whole time.

7. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    CBD and a host of other hemp compounds indeed show promise for many things. Need of course for them to have some proof of working. Otherwise another snake oil. Dosing is a problem since there are no standards per condition. Most of all carefully read about how it metabolized in the liver if you take it orally. VERY IMORTANT. It shuts down the metabolizing effort of many drugs. Even simple OTC things you take for granted. So Google that ....read how it impacts other drugs you might be on. It either ramps them up or shuts them down. Depends on the drug. You can do a workaround by either vaping or doing topical since those don't go through the liver. So have an open mind. But understand what you are taking.

8. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    All of that is true.

It has pretty much been proven in the high publicity cases of the kids with epilepsy which have seen dramatic improvement with its use. The body does have an entire system of cannabinoid receptors.

In my case, I've been vertigo-free since I've started using it, in situations when I would normally get vertigo. CBD is fast and without side effect for me. Meclizine was my go-to before this, but it made me drowsy and wasn't as fast as CBD oil under the tongue. Valium is slowest, least effective, and most sedating.

That's anecdotal, of course, but if CBD and/or full spectrum hemp oil isn't effect, then there is a world-wide mass hysteria going on.

But your point is valid, it may or may not help any particular person for any particular problem. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  9. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    This is pretty fascinating stuff, esp. given how CBD Oil has helped so many I know in other ways unrelated to Meniere's. I hope you keep us posted... Thanks for sharing!

Ray

10. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Just curious -- is CBD used as a rescue medicine once you have an attack, or is it something taken daily for prevention?

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. lolly52

lolly52 New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    I'm in NC. Where do you buy it?

12. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Stores and on-line. I've used cbdistillery and lazarus naturals.

Where in NC are you?

13. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    A NC company is Integrated Hemp Solutions.

14. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

15. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Helpful post you guys. I just ordered a sample/beginners pack from Lazarus. In the mean time, I'm going to try and find a reputable dealer locally. Right now the only places I know that sell CBD oil are the bong/smoke shops. You'd think Whole Foods or Trader Joe's would sell it. Heck, maybe they do.

I'm talking about reputable brands.

Question. A friend of mine has arthritis. We went to a couple of local stores/smoke shops, and they said their CBD lotion would work for arthritis. Just rub it on your aching knuckles. I'm doubtful since from what I know, lotions don't penetrate "into" or "under" the skin, but only stay at the very top layers. Despite what all the snake oil lotion commercials always say.

16. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Google your town and cbd oil and I'll bet you find something local. In the RTP area of NC, there are several stores selling both the isolate CBD and the full spectrum hemp oil.

17. sadmuso

sadmuso New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    If you don't have luck you might try pet stores. I buy mine for my dog and for myself in the local pet store!

18. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    The oils will penetrate to some extent.

If you mix the oil with DMSO, it will penetrate very well.

DMSO is a solvent that's generally regarded as safe. It's almost instantly absorbed and whatever is mixed in, or on your skin, will also be absorbed.

I get DMSO mixed with aloe, mix in CBD oil and rub my problem joint. It works very well for me.

19. lolly52

lolly52 New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    TY for the info. We travel 421 when we avoid 40 going to the beach.

20. PapaJoe

PapaJoe Member

Jun 11, 2014
    You're welcome. Please check your inbox, I just sent you a PM

• Useful Useful x 1