1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

CI Regrets??

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by No thanks, Apr 6, 2021.

1. No thanks

No thanks New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    I am beginning to consider cochlear implants. I have very good hearing in my left ear, but almost nothing in my right. My Dr. said that I am a candidate for CI but did not push it. I am able to hear in many situations, but there are also many situations where I have trouble, especially noisy, indoor places (eating outdoors due to Covid has been great for me, but the masks and dividers have made hearing much more difficult). I have little/no directionality. This degree of hearing loss has been going on for about 5+ years. A recent article I read about CI candidacy stated that profound HL for 10+ years for SSHL is a contraindication (possibly b/c the brain may have lost the ability to process the impulses???).

I have read the previous posts of those who have been pleased with their decision to have an implant. I'm wondering if anyone has regrets in having one, or has had a bad experience with one. Also, for others in my situation, what were some of the factors leading to your decision to either get one or not. TIA!

2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Thanks for posting this. I am in the same boat as you. I am a candidate for implant but have not taken that step to do so. Will be interested in responses!

3. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hello No Thanks.....
    Love that name.

A member here and good friend of mine just got a single sided Implant and he absolutely loves it. He got his at Emory University from Dr Mattox.

I am in same boat as Larry and Red. Considering it but so far have held off.

like me Larry has had a labyrinthectomy (Laby) about 10 years ago just like me. He as implanted in his Laby ear after 10 years and he could not be happier.

He spends most of his time golfing and does not come around here much but if you want his phone number to call or text him please let me know.

good luck
    Joe

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I don’t because I cannot. The nerve in the bad ear is gone. I am not sure if I would have been brave enough to but the thing I really miss is the ability to echo locate. If it would have given me that in a reliable way, I probably would have gone for it. Having said that, I have been unilaterally deaf for 24 years and don’t feel it impacted my life substantially except during the time when CH affected the good ear. If that ear had gone, I would definitely have had a CI.