1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

CI Surgery Scheduled!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Kevinb003, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Figured I'd create a new thread instead of posting on my previous one since this topic is more apropos, but I just wanted to provide an update that my CI surgery has been scheduled for November 27! Excited, yet anxious about what awaits. If anyone is interested, I will update this topic with post surgery results as well as programming progress. As a musician, I have found that detail on what things actually sound like with the implant is lacking to my satisfaction so I will try to provide as much of that as I can. Thanks again for the support everyone!
    --Kevin

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Best of luck to you Kevinb. When I discussed Laby with my doc, he said the CI goes with the Laby surgery. Things must be changing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Kevin,
    I am very interested in your journey and look forward to reading your posts. My OTO tells me each day the technology for CI improves. My best wishes for a successful surgery and improved quality of life.
    Red

• Like Like x 1
  4. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Ditto what Red said.

• Like Like x 1
  5. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Best of luck to you. I wish you all the very best. I hope that I will never have to go this route but I am very interested in hearing about your journey in case I do ever have to consider this at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    What Red said^^^^^
    Very interested in following your progress. I had am MRI once Red indicated they can do CI's for single sided deafness and yes indeed, my cochlea/snail was there from my laby operation. Havent decided if i am going to do it but it sure is nice knowing it is there if needed.

Praying for you my friend, keep us posted.

BD/Joe

• Like Like x 3
  7. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    Good luck Kevin. My doctor wants me to do that as well but I'm fighting it as long as I can.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    @Riplip, my last attack came a couple months ago on a business trip and it was so bad that I couldn't understand speech at all. After that, my neuro all but insisted I get the CI and it was hard to disagree--I need to be able to hear to do my job and I am fully aware of the final prognosis of this condition as it already has taken one ear. Respect your hesitation, though...I have some anxiety about it myself.

9. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Kevin I experienced a similar situation to yours last December. Understanding speech was impossible. I made an appointment with my OTO and we are monitoring my "good" ear. I had a laby 7 years ago in my bad ear. So far I have had one other episode in May. My OTO said it is better to have the CI before you totally lose hearing in the good ear. I assume your OTO is in agreement with mine. I am interested in your conversation with your OTO that helped you to do the CI.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    @redwing1951, My laby was 6.5 years ago in the right ear, which is the one that will receive the CI. My neuro and I had discussed the CI previously, but he was of the opinion that the hearing in my "good" ear was too good to qualify for the CI. That all changed with the latest episode noted above. The conversation actually initially occurred between him and my wife because I had another episode when I returned from the same trip, which freaked her out. She had him paged after hours and he called right back. I was communicating with my wife via a tablet as she was on the phone with him because I couldn't understand speech. He got me in his office the following day and we initiated the CI candidate approval process. My neuro has been amazing in the 8 plus years I have been his patient--I trust his judgement completely. Hope this helped somewhat.
    --Kevin

11. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Kevin thank you for sharing. Your journey is similar to mine. We are both fortunate that we have supportive spouses and great Doctors. If and when the time comes I will not hesitate to have a CI. My doc told me prior to my laby that I would never have to live in silence. You can be sure I will be looking for your updates. I am cheering for you!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I hope everything works out Kevin. You’re in a tough situation and I feel for you. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    hi five bro. then bear hug.