1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Cochlear Hydrops. Help!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Megan Henry, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    For what it’s worth, in regards to AVs, I’ve had no side effects. I’ve been on them for about 6 months now. First valacyclivor, then switched to and remain on famciclovir. Just realize every patient is different when it comes to medication and side effects. I was on 2 different kinds of diuretics early on and I could not tolerate either. And for the most part, those are well tolerated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi Daniel,

What type of doctor prescribed famciclovir?

3. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I would say go for the AVs. As others have stated, I think the dosage prescribed to you is pretty low--3,000mg/day seems to me the sweet spot. I have been on AVs for almost a year and have had no interactive side effects with my anti-depressant. Given the choice, I would choose AVs 10 times out of 10 if it meant my Meniere's symptoms were suppressed--even if it meant having the undesirable side effects you mentioned. But that's just me...I don't walk in your shoes. Best of luck!
    --Kevin

4. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    Megan. You might want to print out Dr. Gacek's research on AVs and show it to the doctor who prescribed you the AVs It lists dosages. There is a link to it on the forum here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
  6. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I got AV from an ENT. However, I have been to ENTs who would not prescribe them. So you have to do your homework beforehand depending on where you are located. Most doctors can prescribe them. Not all believe that they work and therefore won’t prescribe.

7. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I'm curious as to what tests you've had. It just seems odd to me that you would develop symptoms in both ears in such a short time frame.

8. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I've had and ecog which showed abnormal pressure from fluid. I've also had a vestibular test where they blow hot air and cold air into your ears... I forget what the ENT called it, but that came back negative. I've had 4-5 audiograms since December of last year. They show some hearing loss in my right ear and I notice I can't hear as well out of my right ear, but it's nothing too bad. Yes, it's odd to me as well. I've wondered if I have an acoustic neuroma. I think I have an idea of a diagnosis and then it changes. Every doctor I've gone to has a different diagnosis.

9. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    My hearing has stayed the same since last December if that means anything
    Hi Daniel,

We have very similar stories. I was looking at your story some. Did you have anything that triggered your hearing loss or did it just come on? I first started getting fullness and then tinnitus started. Mine is extremely mild. I'm seriously so fortunate. I constantly feel like I'm being rocked and gets worse after I eat... could be anything. Just had an apple and it gets worse.

10. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Wendy, what brand lemon bioflavinoids do you use, please? I read about this somewhere here, and if I remember, it was stated that it had to be lemon bioflavinoids and not citrus bioflavinoids. Not sure why. Where do you purchase? Thank you.

11. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    JOH recommends Lindberg brand, you can get them online from Nutritionexpress.com.

12. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hi Megan
    I can’t say for sure what my trigger is/are for sure just yet. I’m still searching for that actually. What I can say is that I’ve always thought stress had a lot to do with it. My symptoms started in October of 2018. Almost one year prior to that in November of 2017, my business was served with a sales tax audit due to some negligence by my accountant. It was a stressful time. As all that was going on my wife and I gave birth to our 2nd child in November ‘17 as well. This was in addition to us already raising our first child who has a severe disability. He takes up a lot of our time and energy. Then right before my symptoms started in October ‘18, i moved from an urban area to a very rural, heavily wooded area in September. A month later I had symptoms.

I’m far from a medical professional, but my opinion is that all that stress over that year period gave me a weakened immune system. Then upon change in environment, could allergy have triggered my symptoms? Seems like a plausible enough theory for me, so I’ve decided to give immunotherapy a try. I’ve been on the shots weekly for about four months now. No significant changes to report just yet, but I know it will take many more months and possibly years to have an impact. I stay ons consistent low sodium diet, although when I have eaten salty meals I have not noticed any difference in my symptoms. What I have learned recently is that I can confidently say caffeine is a minor trigger for me. When I stay away from it completely, my symptoms are marginally better, but not much. But even if I drink decaf coffee I do notice a small difference in my symptoms.

Currently my fullness is still there, but it is lower now than it was a month ago. I had a huge uptick in fullness and tinnitus about 3-4 weeks ago. I’m not sure if it has anything to do with the beginning of the fall allergy season, but it certainly seems like it could. Especially since a year ago in the fall is when all this began for me. The fullness has subsided some but the tinnitus remained, although it’s more mild than a month ago. My hearing Seems to get worse when I have a flare up in symptoms.

13. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    Lemon bioflavinoids 700 MG from Lindberg.

14. Megan Henry

Megan Henry Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Thanks for sharing that with me Daniel. I was also going through lots of stress several months before my ear symptoms started. I recall vividly waking up in the middle of the night in extreme panic. It looked like my floor was morphing and moving. I recall another time waking up with my heart feeling as though it was going to beat out of my chest and my blood pressure sky rocketed. I considered going to the E.R. I suppose it was a culmination of everyday being under attack from stress. Do you constantly feel like you're rocking or is that just me? My fullness is constant. Do you ever attempt to pop your ears? Mine feel like they want to pop, but there is clearly excess fluid in there. I called an allergist a couple days ago and asked them about their experience with Meniere's and cochlear hydrops in relation to allergies. They said they have found their isn't no correlation, but they also didn't seem to know what Meniere's Disease is. I also asked my neurotologist why don't we treat the cause, let's find the cause of what is going on. They said "that's why we'll put you on a direutic, to treat the cause." I can't handle my doctors. I just get so frustrated with them. They wear me down. Plus, pouring all this money into doctors is contributing to the stress. I feel so defeated.

15. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I have no balance issues, like rocking or dizziness or vertigo. I had some dizziness at one point, but I 100% attribute it to the diuretic I was on, since after I stopped that medication it went away and never came back.
    As far as popping my ears, I tired everything in the early going, but that wouldn’t help me as the problem is in my inner ear. My fullness is always constant too, although it is definitely less than it was a year ago, so I continue to try and look at the overall trend.
    As far as allergists, I originally saw a local one near me and he said the same to me, nothing conclusive on MM/CH and allergy. He seemed like a pretty competent physician, but I was pretty sure he wasn’t all too familiar with anything written on allergy and Menieres, particularly anything written by Derebery. It’s at that point where I decided to go see Dr. Derebery myself.
    Try to stay patient with the doctor process. There’s some good ones out there, this is a great resource to find them depending on what part of the world you reside in

16. Bill M

Bill M New Member

Aug 26, 2019
    South Carolina
    I think that you are right in thinking that a true diagnosis is still in progress. Because of that, it is difficult to come up with solid treatment plans, other than just managing the symptoms. The "vestibular test" you had was just a small part of a complete Vestibular Testing protocol. It would include a complete VNG ( videonystagmography), Caloric Test ( what you had with hot and cold air), Rotary Chair and Posturography. ENT's do not have the facilities or experience to do this extensive evaluation... you'd have to be referred to an Otologist or NeuroOtologist that specialized in Vestibular Disorders. All that being said... Menieres / Hydrops are very often diagnosed ( and misdiagnosed) solely on the basis of symptoms reported. When it is early in the symptom phase ( i.e. it hasn't been many many months or over a year) , it's true that treatment tends to be conservative, because the real diagnosis is still fuzzy. It is good you had a negative caloric test. It's also good that you have not experienced true Vertigo ( rotational ) or Drop Attacks.

Keep after the diagnosis track. Unfortunately it does take more time than we would all like. I would bet that it is either a viral condition, or something that will turn out to be something other than Meniere's. Do everything in your power to manage your stress/anxiety levels. They have a strong effect on all Vestibular disorders. Wishing you well !!