1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Cochlear Implant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by TexOkie, Jul 23, 2021.

1. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I just returned from the audiologist where I was evaluated for a cochlear implant to address my single sided deafness. After the tests, she informed me that I do qualify.

She then presented two options as far as devices. They implant the Cochlear Inc device and the Med-El device. Each device has advantages and dis advantages when compared to each other. My task now is to select one.

I’ve had a hearing loss on my left side for 26 years. I also have a 100% speech comprehension loss on that side. When someone speaks softly in that ear, I cannot understand them. Additionally, when each ear hears a spoken word, my brain has to decide how much information from the left side should be trusted. As a result, I get a lot of words wrong. I sometimes think I would be better off if the doctor severed the auditory nerve.

At any rate, wish me good luck making the right selection. The “brochures” are intimidating. See below for what they call a brochure.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Corn

Corn New Member

Jun 26, 2021

3. Corn

Corn New Member

Jun 26, 2021
    Looks like a fair bit of reading . Good luck with the decision making process !! It’ll be a tough one but don’t rush it either. Your instincts will guide you to the right one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert S

Robert S Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Wishing you the best of luck and let us know what you decide and why.

5. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I’m about 95% decided on the Cochlear Inc device for the following reasons.

1. All day battery life on the rechargeable battery versus 10 hours on MedEl
    2. Bluetooth is self contained in the speech processor and does not require additional snap on devices like the MedEl
    3. The different programs and adjustments are available through an App on my iPhone and don’t require a dedicated remote like the MedEl.
    The only thing pushing me toward the Med El is their longer electrode that supposedly reached the lower frequency nerve cells in the cochlea. Until I speak with the doctor, I won’t be able to make a final decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    Today I went for the CT Scan of the left ear. Next up is the appointment with the surgeon to discuss what will happen during which device I want.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Bes of luck! Hit me up if you have any questions/concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  8. david2salsero

david2salsero Member

Oct 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Make sure you sign up with hear peers focused on CI. Also, one section dedicated to SAD.
    HearPeers Forum

9. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    How long were you without hearing before you got your implant and how long did it take from the time of activation before your brain started to make sense out of the electrical signals?

10. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    For me, I was implanted. 6 years after my labyrinthectomy. It doesn’t take long at all! The day I was activated, I could clearly identify the turn signal noise in the car on the way home from the audiologist. Percussive noises tend to be the easiest to hear and identify. It really is quite an amazing feeling when you’re first activated and actually hearing something out of an ear that has been dead for 6 years…Words really fail to describe.

It’s worth noting that the more you use it, the better it gets. My biggest frustration is that speech hasn’t cleared up and is still distorted. But then again also, I don’t put as much work into it as I should either, so there’s that.

11. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I told that my success depends on how much work I’m willing to put in. I’m looking for four things.

• Diminish or eliminate the tinnitus
    • Regain speech recognition
    • Regain directional sense
    • Regain an appreciation of music
    I hear a constant roar in that ear now. I’m hoping the processor will give my brain something else to process so that it won’t create its own sound. Im convinced that is where tinnitus comes from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    It definitely Will help mask the tinnitus.

13. Todd

Todd New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    I went with Cochlear and their Kanso II. I like the all day battery and not having a device over my ear. It’s nice to be able to change settings on my phone as well.