1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Cochlear implants

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by globug, Dec 19, 2016.

1. globug

globug New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Can any one give me their experience with Cochlear Implants? I've been told I am a candidate and trying to decide whether or not to pursue. Thanks so much!!

2. AKJim

AKJim Member

Hi globug,

I have bilateral Meniere's and bilateral cochlear implants (CIs). I've had my left CI for ten years and my right CI for five years. With CIs my hearing went from over 120 dB down in both ears to only 20 dB down in both ears (considered to be low normal hearing). Meniere's patients usually do well with CIs. My CIs have fixed the distortion, hyperacusis, and recruitment. I am able to enjoy music, tv, and use the phone and cellphone without a telecoil. Also with bilateral CIs I have directivity again. I can tell where sounds are coming from. An added benefit is the CIs markedly improved my tinnitus and when my CIs are turned on my tinnitus is completely masked. CIs gave me my freedom back. I feel confident going out in public without depending on my wife to be my interpreter. Friends and relatives sound just like they did before I had Menieres. I can hear leaves blowing down the street again. CIs are the best thing I've ever done for myself, and my family. Please note that I have had a very good experience with CIs. Most do, but there are some who do not. I hope this helps.

Best regards and good luck,

AKJim

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    This is such wonderful news! Thanks, Jim.

4. globug

globug New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you so much, AKJim!! My dr has recommended I get one in the left ear for now and then another "down the road." My left ear was only able to discern twelve words accurately. The right one is at about fifty percent. When I went to see Dr. Lambert at MUSC on December 15, I was absolutely shocked that he made this recommendation at all because my usual audiologist gave me out-dated information. She said the FDA only allows CI's for profoundly deaf people. I have so many questions and was given just a package with brochures so I could pick the CI that I want. My question is, how am I supposed to do that when this whole topic is so new to me? Will the audiologist at MUSC help me at all or make recommendations? I was given a questionnaire to fill out regarding my expectations of a CI. I've had to watch YouTube videos to find out anything at all. So! This is my time of investigation. I feel comfortable with Dr. Lambert because I had also seen him years ago, probably 1998 or '99 at UVA before he made the change to Charleston, SC.(MUSC) and know he has been doing these surgeries for many years. He said he does about 150 of them a year. My main concern is this. I had an endolymphatic sac shunt put in in 1996. During this surgery my dr in Southern CA, Dr. Samuel Whitaker, also did a perilymph fistula repair on the oval and round windows all in the left ear. I lost all equilibrium, had temporary Bell's Palsy, and such bad nystagmus that what my eyes saw was like someone who could not hold a video camera still. It took years for me to recover from that surgery. Dr Lambert told me in the late 1990's that most people never make it back as far as I have and I have continued to get better even since then. Can I expect any of these things with implant surgery? What exactly can I expect after the implant surgery? Thank you so very much for your help. This means more to me than you can possibly imagine. I don't want to put my husband through all that again even if it means I would hear better. Maybe I should call myself, Surgery Shy.

5. AKJim

AKJim Member

Hi globug,

Happy New Year!

I had my left ear implanted first. My left ear was so bad that I figured I had nothing to lose. The F.D.A. has evidently eased the requirements for getting a cochlear implant (CI). When I got mine you had to have profound hearing loss in both ears to qualify for a CI. I understand now they are considering allowing CIs for people with unilateral deafness.

I also had 3 perilymphatic fistulas (plfs) in my right ear. I had them patched twice. The first patch worked for about three months and then it blew. The second patch was successful and it stopped the severe vertigo I was having from the plfs, but the hearing loss continued. My neuro-otoligist thinks I probably had plfs in my left ear too, because I lost my hearing in that ear so fast.

Both of my CI surgeries went well. I did have some mild vertigo for a few hours after both surgeries, but it resolved pretty quickly. There are risks with CI surgery, but the odds against them are in way in your favor.

As far as which implant company to go with, it is my understanding that all three are pretty similar. Both of my implants are made by Cochlear Americas http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/home/take-the-next-step/request-a-free-information-guide?utm_campaign=Cochlear_Brand&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=cochlear%20implants&utm_content=cochlear_brand&gclid=CNDJ8Yu2oNECFVNufgodZ6QEbg. I am extremely happy with them. Their new N6 processor has some really neat wireless accessories: The Mini Mic 2+, the Phone Clip, and a TV streamer. I own the Phone Clip and the Mini Mic 2+ and they both work very well.

Also Cochlear Americas sponsers meetings in most states. We have them four times a year up here in Anchorage. They are very informative. There is probably a Cochlear volunteer near you who would be more than happy to talk to you about the CI journey.

Best regards,

AKJim

6. AKJim

AKJim Member

p.s. If I had to do it again would I? Absolutely!

7. globug

globug New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you so much, AKJim!! It really helps to "hear" from someone who's been there. I can't imagine the PLF surgeries you went through. Enjoy life, my friend. You deserve it!!

8. Paris 48

Paris 48 New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Having cochlear implant surgery this months.
    Have bilateral MM and hearing aids don`t work for me anymore.
    Looking forward to join the hearing world again!

• Like Like x 1
  9. AKJim

AKJim Member

Hi globug,

Actually the PLF surgeries weren't that bad. They were done under local anesthetic and mild sedation. I was actually able to talk to the surgeon while he was doing the surgery. The interesting thing is that once he applied the patches, I felt immediate relief.

Best regards,

AKJim

10. AKJim

AKJim Member

Hi Paris 48,

Congratulations! I think you will be happy with the results. Once you get activated, the important thing is to listen, listen, listen all you can. Keep a radio, or tv playing in the background as much as possible. Let us know how things go.

Best of luck,

AKJim

11. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Jim is a very valuable to resource to this forum and he has been especially to me over the years. He is a man that has zero vestibular function in both ears, 2 cochlear implants and lives an active, fun, normal life filled with good family and friends and travels abroad.

Don't give up, Jim is living proof to not let menieres control your life and relinquish you to anxiety and depression.

thank you Jim for all you have meant to me and other members of this forum over the years. You are an inspiration!!!

joe/bulldogs

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AKJim

AKJim Member

Thank you Joe. Nice to hear from you.

13. globug

globug New Member

Feb 9, 2015

14. BillBB

BillBB New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Paris, wondering how the cochlear implant is doing? Have you adjusted to the sounds, did it take much time? I've been waffling on getting it done & figure its time to get off my butt.

15. globug

globug New Member

Feb 9, 2015

16. globug

globug New Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I did it. I took the plunge. I got a CI three years ago last month. Hearing now isn’t perfect (the dr said I might get 70% due to a previous surgery), but it certainly does help a lot. I’m so, so glad I got it. Thank you for your good advice!

• Like Like x 1