1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Cognition Stories

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BumbleBea, Nov 4, 2015.

1. marion

marion Member

May 27, 2014
    I get my exercise every day by walking back and forth in my apt, looking for my glasses and/or my portable phone and/or my cell phone. I try to keep my cell phone and medications with me all the time in case I get dizzy or fall, but still keep losing them when I set them down to go into another room and then can't remember where I left them.

2. linda

linda Member

Jul 8, 2015
    MT
    My biggest cognition stories are trying to remember the right words, especially words like "cognition" when I want to say something! Even when I want to write something! But at least when I write I have more time to try and remember them, I may need to keep a Thesauras near by!
    I also lose the phones alot, and we have 3 house phones! and my cell phone!
    I keep Meclazine in three places, my purse, beside my bed and in my work bag, if nothing else I always know where my bed is!

3. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Where did I put the car key?
    I had it last when I picked up catering and stopped at the grocery store.
    Husbands is going nuts because I keep forgetting things.

It was in the refrigerator.
    Sighs

4. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    I keep stopping in the middle of a thought and I can't find the right word or remember what I was saying. I look outside and of course its raining or has rained. I just give up on any real thoughts. I can't keep any real plans in my head unless I keep notes or write it down. I am so thankful my car is broken because I would have driven to pick up my son and killed us both coming home on the 11 hour drive.

5. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I just spent 15 minutes in my car looking for my cellphone using my cellphone as a flashlight.

Sometimes you just have to laugh or you'll cry.

6. Muff

Muff Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Oh my BumbleBea! That is definitely something that I would do. Thanks for starting my day out with a great laugh! Much needed!

7. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    I put the produce away in the freezer.... and the today I made hot coco and put a k cup in pot.... I already had coco in my cup but made coffee ontop of it. It was good....

8. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Join the club! LOL

I find these stories amusing sometimes

9. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Today I'm making homemade beef stew. I got it all together early so it would cook all day.
    I had time to get in a nap while it was cooking.'when I awoke I checked the stew. It looked and smelled really good.

All of a sudden I realized I never put in potatoes!
    That's one of the main ingredients!
    I cut up potatoes and they're boiling to be added.

These kinds of things are really starting to piss me off.

10. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I didn't see this before...thank you honey.

11. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Help me please.

Today I put color in my hair. Something I haven't done in years. I DO know what I'm doing though.

I did not remember one of the most important parts.
    I didn't put Vaseline on my skin wherever hair meets the skin to avoid the dye staining your skin.
    I used purple and blue dye.
    My face looked like someone had cut just my face out of a photo and drew blue and purple all over the skin on my neck, ears, forehead.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!
    It's almost impossible to get the dye of the skin, I tried everything I knew but by trying so hard I scraped my skin.

Also I'm always thinking what to do next and I'm forgetting.
    I'm not experiencing any vertigo episodes for a few weeks now.
    This seems to be getting worse if you read what I've posted you'll see it's happening more often.
    Who goes to the Dr on the wrong day?
    I looked and felt stupid.

There has to be something that helps.

12. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Vinpocetine. Start with 10 mg in the morning. Later, if needed, take another 10 mg in mid-afternoon. You can safely take up to 30 mg per day, if needed.

--John of Ohio

13. PattiD

PattiD Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Try using Dawn Dishwashing Detergent to get rid of the dye stain on your skin.

14. PattiD

PattiD Member

Dec 19, 2015
    John of Ohio why is it none of my doctors have ever heard of Vinpocetine?

15. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Re: Cognition Storie

Thank you JOH, I knew you'd have the answer.
    Patti, thank you. I did try that. Didn't work. My hair covers it so I'll let it be for a few days as I made it worse trying other things.
    I posted my pic on FB and my friends and family are having a blast with it.
    They say I should be acting my age and I look like a headbanger. Nothing like support from family.
    I may as well like it as its not going to change, lol.

The more I look at it, the more I like it, lol. I'm a non-conformist and I really don't care what others think.
    Next I'll trim my bangs. I hate that look where your bangs are straight. It's so old.

16. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Patti,

I could create a list fully of at least 40 very safe and very health-effective supplements that your doctors have never heard of. Physicians simply aren’t trained in the efficacy and applications of supplements. They don’t know any more about them than your plumber or kindergarten teacher.

If fact, most practicing physicians regard VMSs, vitamins, minerals, and supplements, to be a) utterly useless, and b) a distinct and direct hazard to human health. They think this because their medical practice insurance agents and newsletters harp on these putative dangers, trying diligently to keep doctors in the business of symptom whacking, that to stay out of trouble they should never touch supplements. Those are for ignorant blokes in the Interned (like me).

Symptom whacking is this. A patient presents herself to the doctor. His nurse takes all the vitals, and he asks a few, quick questions. Very quickly (less than the allotted 10 min per patient) he comes up with a diagnosis, using the profound skills and knowledge learned in med school. Then, he may leave the examining room for a short period, where he dials up the PDR, the Physician’s Desk Reference, a multi-hundred page compendium of what drugs treat what ailments. For Meniere’s, most physicians don’t have to consult the PDR. They recall right from med school that Meniere’s is idiopathic. It has no known or knowable cause, and you merely put the patient on a low salt diet and prescribe a diuretic. When she comes back after a few months of unabated symptoms, the good doc sends the patient to an ENT, who also is primarily in the business of symptom whacking. He will want to inject some dexamethasone, a nerve-numbing steroid into the inner ear, thereby toning down the aberrant signals the dysfunctional ear sends to the brain. The symptoms of dizziness and vertigo are often then abated (but not necessarily permanently cured). The symptoms are being whacked. The root cause virus (which the ENT doesn’t know about) is left untreated.

After months or years of inadequate relief, and the eventual resumption of severe life-altering symptoms return, the ENT can make some real dollars by noting that the only treatments left are surgical. Slice the vestibular nerve (VNS, vestibular nerve section), or, when things really get bad, surgically remove the entire labyrinth, the irrevocable labryinthectomy.

Both of those surgeries border upon open brain surgery. They are delicate, tedious, and very expensive. And more often than not, they “work,” permanently stopping Meniere’s in the sliced-into ear. (Of course, the root-causative herpes virus has been utterly unaddressed, and there is always the possibility that the virus erupts later in the remaining “good ear,” where the entire scenario can be replicated.)

Of course, Dr. Gacek in Boston has shown conclusively that the vast majority of Meniere’s cases are a) caused by an active herpes virus infection in the inner ear or its associated nerves, and that b) the infection can be effectively treated (not just “whacked”) with the proper administration of antiherpetic drugs.

But how many have posted here that they copied Gacek’s seminal paper and got it to their physicians, who summarily tossed or disregarded the info? (“I don’t think Meniere’s is caused by a virus. You need my dex injections. The nurse will schedule those for you. Next patient, please.”)

Same thing with my regimen and it’s central component, the proper use of the common food-quality lysine. If the good doctor would look in his PDR under lysine (which is over the counter, non-prescription), it will clearly indicate that lysine can be used to suppress and treat herpes infections, such as genital and cold sores. That info, however, is useless, because he’s certain that Meniere’s is not caused by a virus. He has several medical textbooks that say that — so that’s the case. Period.

Yes, my Meniere’s treatment regimen (http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf) has lysine as the core component, to suppress herpes virus replication and activity. But after several years of personal investigation and trial on myself, I added a number of other over-the-counter elements to the regimen; with the result of a rather effective treatment (presently with an 88% success rate).

And yes, brain fog is a common, frustrating symptom of Meniere’s. Other than some strong prescription nootrophic steroid drugs, the physicians have no prescription drugs that effectively, safely, and cheaply treat brain fog. They are ignorant of vinpocetine; but the clinical data on its safety and efficacy is profound. It is a drug of choice for Meniere’s in Russia and Eastern Europe (where it’s called caviton).

Few physicians have ever heard of lemon bioflavonoids, and their prime agent eriocitrin. Found of in all things, in lemon rinds. Dramatically increases blood flow through the inner ear, facilitating healing and normal hearing function. Ginkgo extract does the same thing, but by different biochemical mechanisms.

I could go on about the other JOH Meniere’s Treatment Regimen components, but just read the PDF (above).

Simply summarized, modern physicians are trained to suppress symptoms using FDA-approved drugs, or surgeries. Vitamins, minerals, and especially supplements are out-of-bounds and not a part of conventional 21st-century American medicine.

Don’t get me wrong. Physicians are highly skilled and essential in modern medicine. But there are therapeutic approaches they know little or nothing about. If prescription drugs or surgeries aren’t involved, most doctors will not be able to provide a full spectrum of information and treatment for diseases like Meniere’s.

–John of Ohio

17. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    For those certain that VMSs are useless and hazardous, check the info and links at this site:

http://orthomolecular.activehosted.com/index.php?action=social&chash=02e74f10e0327ad868d138f2b4fdd6f0.31

PBS apparently will be airing a full “disclosure” of the profound health hazards of VMSs.

Decide for yourself.

–John of Ohio

18. PattiD

PattiD Member

Dec 19, 2015
    JOH - That really describes the doctors I've been dealing with, not only for Meniere's but also for other medical issues I've had. I think until they know someone personally they won't change.

19. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I think you're right.

20. dorothy

dorothy Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Nov 2, 2015
    These stories hit so close to home.

You must having such a hard time.

I hope these things ease for you.