1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Cognition Stories

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BumbleBea, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    This disease is so frustrating. My doc said there are many causes of Ménière's, but at a previous appointment he said it was idiopathic, no known cause. Which is it? If doctors know there are several causes, why not figure out how to fix it depending on the cause? Take a patient history. Does that take too much time? Is it too much work? Or is it easier to shoot a steroid in the ear and hope you just go away for a while?

On the topic of vinpocetine, has anybody taken it and felt like they were on speed? I took one last week and I felt like I was flying high for hours. It was kind of fun, but scary too. My heart was pounding hard.

2. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    That would be a very bad side effect for me.

A racing heart brings a panic attack for me.

JOH, what information do you have about this, please, and yes I'd also like to know if anyone else takes it and what their experiences are.

3. PattiD

PattiD Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I haven't noticed this happening and I'm taking 2 a day.

4. marion

marion Member

May 27, 2014
    From JOH: "Symptom whacking is this. A patient presents herself to the doctor. His nurse takes all the vitals, and he asks a few, quick questions. Very quickly (less than the allotted 10 min per patient) he comes up with a diagnosis, using the profound skills and knowledge learned in med school. Then, he may leave the examining room for a short period, where he dials up the PDR, the Physician’s Desk Reference, a multi-hundred page compendium of what drugs treat what ailments. For Meniere’s, most physicians don’t have to consult the PDR. They recall right from med school that Meniere’s is idiopathic. It has no known or knowable cause, and you merely put the patient on a low salt diet and prescribe a diuretic. When she comes back after a few months of unabated symptoms, the good doc sends the patient to an ENT, who also is primarily in the business of symptom whacking. He will want to inject some dexamethasone, a nerve-numbing steroid into the inner ear, thereby toning down the aberrant signals the dysfunctional ear sends to the brain. The symptoms of dizziness and vertigo are often then abated (but not necessarily permanently cured). The symptoms are being whacked. The root cause virus (which the ENT doesn’t know about) is left untreated."

Thanks, John. Your post pretty well describes my primary care doctor visits. I often wondered why he leaves the exam room for a brief period and then comes back with a prescription after spending a whole 10 minutes with me.

I will have to give some credit to my otoneurologist. Although he performed 3 perfusions on my right ear over a period of time that did end the terrible vertigo attacks and vomiting, he did not recommend surgery when I asked him if there was anything else that could be done for my other symptoms and loss of hearing in that ear.

5. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I don't play a lot of games online but I started playing, "Criminal Case." It's free.

It has puzzles and things for memory and I find it helps my concentration.

Today was a silly things that anyone could do.
    I went grocery shopping and got inside I realized I had left the list in the car.
    When I picked up the pizza I used the one card they don't accept and I know they don't accept it.
    Had to go home and get cash.
    I was running a lot of errands so these could be attributed to that but I don't so.

6. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    You're on the phone and you get another call.
    You put the first call on hold and answer the second call and make it quick and hang up.
    Now, you thing you switched back to the first call and go on a rant but...
    Apparently another call came through and you're talking to someone who now thinks you're a nut.

Coincidence?
    Cognition?
    Or it could happen to anyone?

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

(it's kind of funny now)

7. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I've found some things that are really helping with memory and cognition.

I'm playing Words with Friends online.
    I'm doing 1 crossword puzzle a day.I'm playing another game online called, "Criminal Case," which has many different kinds of puzzles to solve that require memory.
    I'm looking at other license plates when I drive and making words trying to use all of the letters.
    I even have an Adult Zen coloring book, don't laugh, it's very calming, and I'm trying to work on it for 1/2 and hour everyday.
    I'm keeping busy and by the end of the day I'm exhausted but it's that good kind of fatigue and that feeling of accomplishing something.
    Today I've been multi-tasking and barely had one of those memory lapses.

I'm either feeling better physically or going back into remission.
    I'm trying not to be too excited.

Try these things for awhile and see if they help.
    Of course I'm sure I'll still have cognition problems but a break is a wonderful thing.
    One day at a time.

8. donnisue

donnisue Member

Apr 21, 2015
    I have been taking veno....... lol cant remember name or spelling.... lol for last 9 months... 20 mg day 10 in am 10 in pm... obviously I need to go to 30 mg a day, lol. No ill affects for me at all, I get at our natural food store. Tend to get all my supps there. Usually im pretty good as far as brain fog, but yes there is some break thru, and obiously now is one of those times lol

9. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    This is for you guys experiencing cognition problems.

10. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Vinpocetine is the stuff.

--John of OHio

11. Frosty

Frosty New Member

Mar 2, 2016
    BumbleBea I understand. I lost my glasses one night doing paperwork, took them off to rub my eyes and get a drink. While I was looking for them and mumbling about where I set them - my wife and oldest son were chuckling at me. When I sat down and put my head on my hands to "focus harder" -
    I found them.

12. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Oh my, did you break them?

My husband makes fun of me all the time for forgetting where something is...now I move his stuff around and swear he's just as forgetful as I am.

Going out this afternoon and it's raining. Who knows what could happen today, lol.

I wish more people would share their stories here.

13. moodymom27

moodymom27 Active Member

Was driving to my moms house and couldn't find the turn to her subdivision, which I go to often. I had completely forgotten where I was and got very confused.

14. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 Member

May 20, 2014
    LAST NIGHT I COULDN'T GET MY KEY TO OPEN MY MAIL BOX. A BUILDING SECURITY GUARD CAME TO HELP. DAMN!!! I WAS TRYING TO OPEN THAT BLASTED BOX WITH MY APARTMENT DOOR KEY. IT'S A GOOD THING I HAD JUST MOVED INTO A N ASSISTIVE LIVING SENIOR APARTMENT. :'(

15. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Can you be doing something and think ahead to the next 3 things you're going to do?
    Then you see something to do in between.
    How long before you even remember the first one, let alone the third?
    I try to cluster things I'm going to do so when I do one thing it's natural to go to the next.
    Such as:
    Empty the dogs dishes, clean, and refill. Water, too.
    Which leads to, washing the cat dishes, filling the dry kibble bowls and of course clean and fill the water dishes.
    Which leads to the litter boxes.
    I got distracted after the dog chores.
    It took me sitting on the sofa for about 15 minutes before it hit me and I went and did it.
    These are things I do everyday.
    How do people multi-task?
    I'm going to have to buy a LOT of sticky notepads.

16. moodymom27

moodymom27 Active Member

I do the same thing Bumblebea. I live by post it notes and a very in depth and detailed daily agenda. I have to write each step down that is if I can remember what they are by the time I can write them down.

17. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    How's your spelling and handwriting?
    I usually have beautiful script. Do kids even practice script anymore?)
    Now where was I?

Oh, do you ever have to copy something by hand?
    You're copying and you still misspell or leave a word out and your handwriting or printing is horrible?

I think it's a good thing to recognize these things, at the same time it makes it worse.

18. moodymom27

moodymom27 Active Member

My hand writing has gone to the birds as well as my spelling and groping for words.

19. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I lost my car at the mall...again.

20. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Ok folks,

I'm have a huge problem.
    I've been having cognition issues and my short term memory is gone...
    I. Cannot. Find. My. Engagement. Ring.

I remember taking it off but I was really sleepy. I have a number of places I will put something somewhere I'd remember and I still forget.
    I keep misspelling words.
    My handwriting Sucks when it was quite good.

I'm going to bring this issue up with I next see my primary.
    But for now, Please send me all of the prayers you can that I find it soon?

I won't stop thinking about it until I find it.
    I'm trembling and my breathing is fast. Like borderline panic.

There's a personal reason why I have to hide certain things.