1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Depakote (valproate, valproic acid, Epival)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by AnneT, Jan 28, 2019.

1. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Anyone try this? My otoneurologist recommended it, a few years ago, for my lovely mix of migraine and MM, especially if I were to develop sudden onset attacks.

Well, I'm here. I was doing well on Valtex and JOH for about a month, and now I've had 3 attacks in 3 days. This morning's adventure has got me really rattled - happened while I was driving. (I think I'm going to stop driving for now... or at least only on days I feel really good.) It's going to be 2-7 months to get back into my local otoneuro (even with crying on the phone to the receptionist). I'm awaiting results to send to the House Clinic - hoping they can see me faster, but who knows how long it will take for these results to arrive.

Sorry, I'm rambling. My point is, I know Epival/Depakote may have lots of side effects, but I'm hoping it'll be a short term thing until I get gentamycin or laby or whatever. (Vive le laby!!) Epival may also help my mood and anxiety, and any migraine component. Just lots of shitty potential side effects.

So, anyone on Epival/Depakote? Any experience you want to share, especially on its effects on MM vertigo, migraine, mood, driving?
    Please & Thanks

2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Anne, sorry to hear of your nasty episodes. I'm not familiar with these meds, but I hope you get some stability from them.

3. travelershe

travelershe New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    looked that drug up.......sounds extreme and intense.........

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Yup. I agree. Yet not being able to drive due to Menieres is extreme too. Bleh. I’m really just looking for something to help me hang on until hopefully I get gentamicin injections or a laby - also extreme, but I’m at that jumping off point.

I can’t find any research on valproate in Menieres specifically. It has been studied and used for for seizure drop attacks and for migraine, for sure.

The other drug that might be offered me is Nortriptyline. It also would be mostly a migraine prevention.

5. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Not sure if it still is, but for many years Depakote was a primary
    drug for epilepsy.

There are many, many parallels between MM and Epilepsy. Might be
    worth a shot if you can take it safely.

6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I agree. My pal who has epilepsy sees lots of similarities- the post-ictal brain fog and mood changes, not to mention the impact and anxiety about the next attack.

I see my family doc tomorrow (hubby will drive!). I’ll keep you posted.

7. travelershe

travelershe New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Have you looked into or tried migraine meds?

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Do you mean preventative ones? Valproate is one of the preventative migraine meds.

A lot of the others I’m reluctant to take due to low blood pressure already.

I’ve been on Amitriptyline before but it gave me a dry mouth, dental problems and I have pvc’s (heart rhythm issue). Amitriptyline’s cousin Nortriptylin May be another option.

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    PS Travelershe
    I’m doing the Buchholz approach to hopefully control any migraine component of my misery. I’m off caffeine, booze, nicotine, gluten... Triptans didn’t agree with me. I’m trying not to take Advil and Tylenol too often anymore.

10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I saw my family doc. She is equally perplexed as to whether to try Nortriptylin or Valtrex.

She agrees that the wait for our local Neurotology lady is ludicrous, considering I’ve removed myself from driving. So she’s on board with me getting to House ASAP.

11. Coach Betz

Coach Betz Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Indanapolis, Indiana
    I was just recently (three days ago) prescribed Nortriptyline for vestibular migraines, because you can't just have Meniere's Disease. My neurologist says it'll take 3-4 weeks to really kick in. So I'll be checking in to see how things go.

12. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Awesome, Coach Betz! We will trial the Nortrip together!

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Coach betz

How’s it going with Nortriptylin?

I tried one dose a few nights ago. I thought it would make me drowsy and give me a lovely sleep. Unfortunately I felt agitated and nauseous. After 2 hours of trying to sleep I caved and took Ativan.

Maybe it was just my anxious mind, but I’m not usually that bad. But I’m going to leave the Nortriptylin alone for now. I know it’s helpful for lots of folks, so don’t let my experience scare you from trying it. I’ve had wierd reactions to other brain meds so it’s probably that.

I’m hoping to be traveling the next couple of weeks so am reluctant to try epival during that time. I’ve gone back on Remeron (mirtazipine) which has helped my sleep, low appetite and anxiety before. Unfortunately it’s neutral (not protective) re: migraine. I’d hoped Nortriptylin would be my 2 for 1 deal.

14. Coach Betz

Coach Betz Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Indanapolis, Indiana
    No real results yet. Sunday and Monday were terrible days in Indianapolis for people who are affected by the barometer. We went from 30.2 and dropped to just below 29.80. That's a ton of change in a 16 hour window. So the end of Sunday and all of Monday were spent in bed. This, I think, is more vestibular migraine driven. No rotational vertigo, just the dizzy, spent, despondent feeling. My Neuro says to give it a month. These drugs take some time to build. Fingers still crossed.

15. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks coach. Hope it gets better soon. Barometric changes are a drag for sure.

16. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hi coach - sorry for the repeat/copy - I see this is probably the better thread for asking how your nortriptyline is going.

17. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I tried another dose of nortriptyline yesterday, and got the same bloaty nauseated feeling as before so I guess that’s a bust. Darn it!

Oh well. Maybe I’ll pick up a small amount of the Epival and just see. Or wait for my appointment, procedure/surgery and then see what life is like.

18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    PS I just found one mention of Depakote (epival) being prescribed for a Menieres patient, whose attacks had a possible migraine aura associated with them. It sounded like it worked well for them. (Hearing Review)

19. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    So I’m on Epival (depakote, Valproic acid, valproex... so many names) 125 mg twice a day. This is supposed to be a good dose for migraine prevention, and for drop attacks.

Epival is also used, at higher doses, for epilepsy, bipolar, and as a mood stabilizer sometimes used in depression. My pharmacist says all the nasty side effects are more a concern at the higher doses.

I also read that Epival has been used intravenously in ERs to treat really bad migraines.

It’s just been a few days, but so far so good.

20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Ugh. I’ve got the doom and gloom. Not sure if it’s the Epival or just life. I’m going to reduce the dose and see how it goes.