1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Desperate please read

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Lana, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate your response. I am alone and terrified of what the future is going to bring. I only have my parents, who are elderly (no other family) and I am single with not so many friends. I just don't know how I am going to create a future for myself and even find a partner who would be willing to put up with the uncertainty of my symptoms or how to socialize with other people. I feel that my life is over at this point. I am 47 years old and not even sure how I am going to keep my employment to survive ( have an office job) for the next 18 years. I am going to loose my drivers license and independence.
    My symptoms started in October. First I had ringing in my right ear (which now is a full-blown whooshing sound), my left ear started to ring but stopped. I felt fulness in my right ear and left ear. I also feel as if someone is pulling my ears. I have experienced a mild vertigo (have a feeling that I am moving when I close my eyes and also when my eyes are open). The headache is mild and it feels like pressure on my forehead. Vertigo and nausea are constant and I have them every day. I lost 17 pounds in a month because of nausea and have no appetite to eat. I have done brain mri and have no tumor. ENT checked my ears and said that I had no hearing loss (this was in November) and no infection. The neurologist ordered mri for neck and had no findings and mentioned members. I am waiting to hear from ENT on the diagnosis but reading your posts I know I have it. I don't know how I am going to live and survive like this. I feel that my life is over.

2. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Menieres qualifies for Social Security I believe. Don't give up and read what works from others on this forum. I have had MD for over 30 years and you just have to manage to cope. Good luck.

3. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you Weeba for reading my long post and responding. I appreciate your kind words.

4. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I am sorry you are feeling this way. I have had this condition for 21 years and I still work and function socially. Believe it or not, I also ride motorcycles after a labyrinthectomy that took away half my balance center and all hearing in my right ear. There is hope. As he previous poster alluded to: find what has worked for others on this forum. This is a very caring community! Hope you find some relief soon!

Kvin

5. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Hi Lana
    Most of us here have felt the way you are feeling now. There is always a way out. Browse through the posts, read about John of Ohio, antivirals and other remedies that might bring relief. There are also surgeries that have brought back our lives. I am positive there is something out there to help you, you just have to persevere and look for it. Just be strong and fight for yourself. You are not alone.
    M.

6. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    FYI about your drivers license - don't talk about your vertigo with strangers -you never know who's listening. Most people have no idea what we are dealing with- and don't care. In most cases we can pull off the road in time when we feel something coming on. The least we deserve with this bullshit is the ability to take care of ourselves.

7. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Lana,

There is hope, life is not over! You can find relief like so many others on this forum. I live a normal and free life after a labyrinthectomy.

Please stick around there is plenty of information and caring people on this forum.

Remember your best days, lay ahead to of you!

Blake

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Dear Lana....life is not over. I have been dealing with the symptoms of Meniere's since 2003 while still working. It became quite debilitating 3-4 years ago....I also felt this was not the life I wanted to live. Long story short, I found 2 excellent ENTs who understood Meniere's. I have had 5 series of steroid ear injections within the past year (these are for the vertigo and tinnitus), daily 1/4 dose of the lowest dose Meclizine (for vertigo), a daily diuretic, low salt diet, and an anti anxiety/depression medication. It is true you must learn to live with it, learn your triggers (stress and weather change are mine). My hearing loss has been stable (at 80% loss) in one ear for a year. I am considering Cross type hearing aids. My doctors are not in favor of a labyrinthectomy due to my age (73) but I would get it if I were younger. This is a WONDERFUL forum for support and suggestions as all our symptoms are similar yet to different degrees. What works for one may not work for others. It's frustrating, depressing, but you can work through this. Don't let it defeat you. I'm glad you found this forum. It has been a life saver for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Don"t want to get off topic but I am try Bicross hearing aids Tuesday I will report back here somewhere

10. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Lana you have come to the right forum to get solid information and support. Never give up hope. All of us on this forum have experienced some or all of what you are feeling today. Search this forum for answers to your questions. Believe me your life is not over. I am a survivor of this dreadful beast! You can be a survivor too. God Bless.

11. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you Kvin for taking the time to read my post. Appreciate your encouragement. Since I am experiencing symptoms in both ears it looks like I don't have an option for surgery. I just don't know-how I am going to live with these symptoms for the rest of my life.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you for reading my long post and for your kind words.

13. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for your kind response. I have symptoms in both ears and read online that there is no surgical treatment if it's in both ears. I am experiencing symptoms for a month now and they are not stopping. I am afraid that I am going to feel like this every single day for the rest of my life. I am afraid that perimenopause is going to make this even worse. I always followed a good diet (no junk food, preservatives and I don't smoke or drink).

14. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you, Marta for reading my long post and for your kind words.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you for reading my long post and for the tip on the drivers license. I read that I am required to notify DMV and they will suspend my license until I can prove that my symptoms are under control.

16. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you for reading my post and do your words of encouragement.

17. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Well my dear, I think most of us have felt that way at one time or another. So we totally understand and feel for you.

You have had the medical community determine what you don't have, so that is a good thing. Now, you need to start trying some of the treatments that we and others have found. Most do not require doctors. They all require patience and persistence.

I'm not saying give up on doctors but I doubt you will find much help there.

Please read this thread as a starter:

To All the Recent Newbies (July 2021)

18. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thank you Dynamo. I will check the tread you have provided. I am so scared b/c I only have elderly parents who are old and no partner or husband or other support. Who is going to help me when severe virtgo hits? I am not sure how I am going to live this way for the rest of my life. My symptoms are non-stop for a month now. Today, I have experienced ear fullness in my left ear for awhile and now I am experiencing it in my right ear. I had mild vertigo this morning. Ringing in my left ear for a while (stopped) and constant tinnitus in my right ear. This is happening for a month now and it looks like it is going to get worse from here. I talked to my doctor this morning who told me to wait on the ENT diagnosis. The doctor offered meds to deal with depression. I feel as if I have no control over my life.

19. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    They won't know unless you tell them and why would you ? I live alone too - who is going to take care of you if you can't drive? There are allot of jerks on the road that should not be there for various reasons, we have a very valid reason to drive.

20. Lana

Lana Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Boston
    Thanks again for responding. Since I have it in both ears I feel that my symptoms are going to get much worse so that I am not going to be able to drive. For a month now I am having nonstop attacks. I am afraid that they will never stop.