1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Diet Question

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JennaLu, Jan 17, 2019.

1. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I'm newly diagnosed with CH but am still in denial. When reducing sodium and eliminating foods, does anyone know the general rule on how fast a particular food will affect the ear? For example, I've cut out coffee. If I drink a cup of coffee, how soon would I likely be able to tell if it made my ear worse? Thank you in advance.

2. Glenn

Glenn Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Indy
    Hello; Jenna, I have noticed a difference within an hour, or less, after drinking a mug of coffee.lThis leads me to believe that the nervous system plays a vital role in escalating and alleviating some symptoms.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I don't think there's much to say about food and drink solving our problem. It's all a mystery. And as with all mysteries, everyone...from you and me, to the paid experts, feels the need to have a solid opinion about.

4. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I think this is one of those things that is really individual for each person. I cut way back on caffeine and went very low sodium for 7 years. With caffeine, if I had a cup of coffee, it was pretty quick -- like an hour later. The sodium effect took longer. Not sure why. If I went off the wagon and had a really salty dinner, for example, I didn't feel the effects until much later in the evening, as going to bed, or even the next day. The effects also seemed to last longer -- sometimes a couple days -- than an errant cup of coffee. Also it seemed to affect my threshold for how I handled changes in barometric pressure (which has been a real issue for me, even post laby). I weathered fluctuations much better if I maintained the low sodium ideal. If I splurged (let's say, pizza) AND a front came through? I had big issues. Again, I think everyone's tolerance and sensitivity is different with these things, so it's hard to make generalizations.

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I tested the sodium theory twice. At one point I tried cutting the dosage of my diuretic (50mg Spironolactone) in half. No problem for a several days, then went into a flare-up phase. After a couple of weeks I returned to the full dose, and eventually the symptoms subsided. I can't tell if this was random coincidence or cause-and-effect, but it was close enough to keep me on the full dose of diuretic until my laby.

The second time I tested the sodium theory was with diet. I had cut sodium in all reasonable ways -- no processed meats or sausages; no canned beans, tomatoes, or veggies unless they had no sodium (I actually grew and canned my own tomatoes but have since found brands - Italian mostly - of canned tomatoes that don't add salt); no cheese;etc. I learned to grill foods so they didn't need added salt. All this had the positive side effect of making me a better cook and gardener. Anyway, one day a new pizza joint opened up near my house. I hadn't had pizza in eons, and I'd been meniere's-stable for months. I didn't think one-time pizza would hurt. The next day I had a major vertigo attack and went into a flare phase. This could have been coincidence, but the connection seemed pretty direct to me. I didn't have pizza again until post-laby.

I've never been a coffee drinker, so can't speak to experience with caffeine.

6. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Agree about pizza. Twice it's given me spinning attacks. And having it for dinner at a bar, always makes me unsteady the next day. 1 slice of pepperoni pizza has 680mg of sodium. So let's say, 5 slices for dinner...3,400mg. Plus all the sodium from the meals prior to dinner. Yeah, that'll do it. The food issue is vague. But the effect of that much sodium at one time is undeniable.

I'm going off caffeine again starting tomorrow. Quit last year and it didn't help. But we're so at the mercy of MD that we'll try things that didn't even work the first time. Pitiful.

I'll probably end up trying the migraine diet again too. Fun times.

7. clearing

clearing Guest

Gluten may be a factor not just the sodium it is for me. Some pizzas have both gluten and msg / high sodium.

8. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Thank you, Glenn. Do you believe caffeine affects the tinnitus or everything and should be eliminated?

9. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks, Pupper. I have been on a restricted diet for 2 weeks just trying to see what might be making me worse.

10. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. I have definitely noticed a difference with pressure changes. I was diagnosed with ETD in 2006 but just recently was told that was a misdiagnosis and I really have had CH. I'm not 100% convinced yet but will know more in a few weeks after being on low sodium diet and getting a hearing test.

11. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Thank you for your reply, Clare. My ENT specifically said NO PIZZA. It must really be loaded.

12. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks again, Pupper. I am weaning off the coffee. I am hoping to keep drinking limited green tea each day because of it's other benefits (I think). My vertigo hasn't been severe so far. More just full ear and 5 second spinning when I look from one computer monitor to the other monitor. So disconcerting. I really feel for you guys with full on MD and I hope to keep mine from getting worse so I'm willing to do anything food related and lifestyle related. Gave up alcohol, weaning off caffeine, been low sugar for a while now, now working on low sodium and learning about gluten free ways of eating.

13. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Yes, Clearing. I've been doing a lot of research. There is a book you guys probably already know about called "Eat Dirt" by Dr. Axe. I have allergies and asthma so I've been interested in ways to improve my immune system for many years. I really think the leaky gut issue is worth a look...for me anyway...and gluten is a major cause of leaky gut.

14. clearing

clearing Guest

you are right on it on the leaky gut point JennaLu. I had a leaky gut and went through all the colon cleansing etc. no more IBS and gluten allergies went down a bit. I think that when we see gateway issues like leaky gut, candida overgrowth and low thyroid hashimoto's compromising immune function, we can easily see how a virus made its way in and set up shop.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  15. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I went back and read some caffeine threads. The consensus was that too much causes problems, but a moderate amount is ok. I've found this to be my experience as well. So I'm glad I get to keep that morning cup in my life. Then maybe a refreshing icy diet Coke at lunch.

You mentioned the gluten-free thing. I guess that's something I'll have to try if I don't get better soon.

16. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida

17. JennaLu

JennaLu New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Pupper, if you like to read, the book "Eat Dirt" has been very informational about all kinds of things and their affects on our bodies. I've ignored the gluten thing for years since I tend to not be a fad follower but after years of learning about it, I am definitely convinced although I'm only about a week in to being mostly gluten free. I am def in learning mode as I was diagnosed with ETD in 2006 and have been treating allergies ever since but the fullness has just gotten worse in one ear. I had one ENT say I need a septoplasty for nasal issues and 1 ENT say I was misdiagnosed with ETD and really have CH. Then to a neuro who said "That's absurd. Which one of them are you going to believe?". This all started because I get one sided headaches on the same side as my "bad ear". So I still don't really know. My only symptoms that I know of are fullness and short vertigo episodes (like 5 seconds). From reading here, I feel like the second ENT probably jumped the gun a fuzz on the diagnoses but am trusting him at this point. He said he was shocked that I had not had more serious vertigo episodes yet. Hearing test in a few weeks will help determine. He did some pressure test with beeps in each ear but didn't tell me the results. I really admire those of you who have not given up and gone straight for the drastic stuff. I'm already an anxious type person and would not be able to handle the vertigo you guys have endured for very long. You guys are amazing.

18. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I was told to limit caffeine to one cup a day as well as one alcohol drink per day. Low salt diet should be spread out among your meals. Don't save your salt limit for one meal. Once I went to a low sodium diet I found that it was very east to detect high sodium in foods by the taste. And yes salt definitely increased my tinnitus.

19. clearing

clearing Guest

I think Dr's say what they have to to keep us in the game sometimes. They know with addiction present this can be arduous and the dont want their patient to feel too daunted. It was very tough for me at first. I finally made it to an occasional cup of decaf this way...at first I cut back...then I switched to green tea (1/3rd the caffeine)...went back again oops...then dropped power drinks and sodas altogether. and then I challenged myself to a liver cleanse and 30 days of no caffeine. Wow did I feel less cravings and was fine on abstaining after that. For meniere's patients it is best to eliminate stimulants completely. Be it gluten, caffeine, salt, or alcohol they all can inflame the inner ear. Imagine your inner ear as a balloon (which is sort of looks like). you may be able to sneak a few drinks (or puffs of air) into the balloon but eventually it fills up enough to cause an episode. That includes inflammation from hot workouts and even a tooth problem. If you can - be on a path to total elimination and put each variable in your rear view mirror.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Since I was diagnosed in the late 90’s I have tried every dietary restriction I could think of. At separate times I cut out caffeine, dairy, gluten. I limited sodium intake to 1500 mg spread throughout the day. I was on 36 mg of Serc daily. Nothing made any difference to the severity or frequency of vertigo attacks. I tried antivirals and they did not help.

It wasn’t until I figured out that MSG was the likely culprit. Then began the arduous task of figuring out what food to avoid because that stuff is in so many foods and it’s not always called MSG. I make most of our meals from whole foods and I’m very careful when I eat out. Haven’t had a 12 hour bout of vertigo since I started avoiding MSG.

Menieres treats us differently so it’s difficult to figure out one cause of our symptoms. I can eat all the pizza I want and no vertigo.

Alcohol is a depressant, not a stimulant and it suppresses the CNS.

• Like Like x 1