1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Diuretic?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Randyxl, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Randyxl

Randyxl New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Has anyone see any benefit from taking a diuretic? I have been on one for 30 days now and seen no change of symptoms. Wondering about taking it longer to see before giving up. I know the ENT said MAY be of benefit.

Randy

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    They never helped me but there were people here who swore by them.

3. Chrisk

Chrisk Member

May 12, 2014
    I was on Diuretic for 15 years, all I can tell you is that I got Gout and the doctor blamed the diuretic and immediately took me off them. I progressed to surgery so even if they did offer some help it was not enough. There is no way I could definitely tell you they helped me. Unfortunately there was no treatment that helped me except the surgery. I will be 15 years vertigo free this September. 15 years, the same number of years I suffered.

4. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    While I do not have hard scientific evidence, I do have my own daily tracking data going back to my initial diagnosis 6+ years ago when I first started the diuretic.

I've had good months and bad months since then - and a string of 8 months last year when I felt almost cured... But one thing is absolutely certain - if I STOP the diuretic, I will soon begin to suffer daily symptoms.

I've tried to taper it off, going every other day, and I've also tried quitting it cold turkey (last fall with disastrous result) - every time I wind up with daily spins and worse.

SO... I've concluded that the diuretic is helping me.

I am now taking (1) 50mg Direnium daily, soon after breakfast. My original prescribed dosage was 2x 50mg daily, but I could not stand that much - always having to pee, and completely exhausted by 2 PM every day. 1 daily seems to keep me relatively even and able to function somewhat normally.

Now to be perfectly up front and honest - I do NOT follow all the rest of the ENT/OTO's directions to the letter:

I will go over 2,000 mg sodium every now and again, sometimes way over that. My average for the year is just over 1,800 daily.
    I enjoy a glass of red wine or two with dinner.
    I do not get enough rest, usually.
    I am about as wound up as a person could possibly be some days... dealing with stress is a big, big problem for me.

Exercise helps immensely with all of the above - but I have learned to let the diuretic settle in before working out, especially in Houston during the summer...

I am also taking the JOH supplements. The combination of JOH and the daily diuretic with daily exercise seems to be working for me - for now.

Best wishes to all...!

5. Bella

Bella Member

Jul 16, 2014
    I've been off it for almost a year, due to a variety of reasons, but I do think it helped me.
    I need to go back on them. :)