1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Dizzy spells with Cochlear Hydrops

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by vasu, May 20, 2014.

1. vasu

vasu New Member

May 12, 2014
    Of late, I'm getting dizzy spells that last anywhere from 10-30 minutes. With my current bout of CH that started January this year, I've had a dizzy feeling exactly once before last week. Since last week, this is happening every 2-3 days.

My head feels very strange and I cannot walk in a straight line easily. When I turn right or left, I get a strange feeling. I've not had a clear spinning sensation, so I am not sure if this counts as "vertigo". I wonder if others with cochlear hydrops ever have these kinds of dizzy spells or if this is just classic MM.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I think there is overlap or perhaps progression from one to the other. I had one spell like this that lasted a couple hours. I also had times in the worst period when certain sounds made me nauseated.

3. Ring

Ring New Member

May 12, 2014
    Without the spinning, I would not leap to it being a progression to classic Meniere's. I get dizzy spells when I get or am fighting a sinus infection or bad cold. Are you suffering from a cold or bad allergies?

Having said that. I already had balance issues because of my tumor removal; so, I am not the best person to answer your question. I find I am more susceptible to being dizzy. But I think that is a combination of my inner ear (Cochlear hydrops) and having no balance mechanism in the other ear.

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Ring, I have the same history as you, right acoustic neuroma surgery/deafness 1997, left CH. Did they tell you the CH was due to the AN surgery?

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Hi vasu, how did your appointment with Dr. Derebery go? I am hoping you start getting improvements from taking the allergy shots.

6. vasu

vasu New Member

May 12, 2014
    On the plane back. Will post a detailed post later but it went well. The allergy dept staff and Dr. D are amazing. Got my first shot today and felt a bit out of sorts, exactly as John put it some 30 mins later. She said that if the hearing is getting worse and pressure/dizziness is increasing, we need to intervene via oral or shot steroids after I told her about recent dizzy spells. I realized I am allergic to rice, chocolate, coffee and oranges in addition to every inhalant they tested. I've always suspected rice because when my rice intake goes up, symptoms get worse. But never believed it until the skin test revealed it.

7. Vicki

Vicki Guest

So glad yout apt went well. and wow seems like allergies could be the culprit for your MM. Looking forward to your update.

8. Ring

Ring New Member

May 12, 2014
    No. I don't see how they could be related?

9. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    sent you a pm. for others interested, google 'release of sequestered proteins'