1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Do you ever catch yourself acting just like your parent or sibling?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Pupper, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    You have a lot of them in you.

Whenever I feel like I'm taking on their bad characteristics, I get a bit concerned. Heritable traits can't be stomped out completely. So you have to make a conscious effort to curb them, and ward them off, with presence of mind.

It's especially important to remain vigilant against it as one ages, because with age you get sloppy and the will weakens. Then all the sudden you're your dad.

I'm talking about the unfavorable traits. Obviously the good traits you've inherited aren't a problem.

Example. My dad has always been overly suspicious of people. I've never been that way. But now I catch myself questioning people's motives sometimes. It could be just the slow creep of natural cynicism that comes with living in this messed up world long enough. But it could be his paranoid gene starting to sprout in my brain.

2. I do have a brother and I’m told that I act like him when it comes to being late.

Love my momma dearly.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Unfortunately yes, although I don't think so, but my husband reminds me "you sound like your father" This is not a compliment and I am so pleased that my husband keeps me in check!! I have worked very hard not to sound like dad but as you say we sometimes let our guard down as we age. Fun topic.

4. If I'm ever told I'm acting like my parents, I think I'll try rebirthing therapy.