1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Doctor hasn't prescribed antivirals...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Zach Maxwell, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I found it to be a little bit painful, but it only lasts a few seconds. The ENT first took something that looked like a small cigarette filter saturated in some type of numbing solution and held that to my eardrum for a few seconds. Burned like crazy. During the actual injection there was some burning and stinging.

You'll be able to handle it. The pain is brief.

I hope the injections bring you relief.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Taledo, what medication will be injected in your ear? Steroids or gentamicin? They have very different effects and risks that you should be sure to understand beforehand. My thinking is that steroids are usually ineffective (has anyone here been helped by them???), and gentamicin has a significant risk of hearing loss and a difficult recovery period because the balance system gets destroyed. It's a chemical labyrinthectomy. It can stop vertigo, but may also require repeat injections after a year or two. Look at the postings by AnneT, who did a good job of journaling her recent experience with gentamicin. I considered gent treatment, but then opted for a laby because its greater effectiveness would do more to stop the anxiety that was crippling my life. I made the right decision for me, but surgery has its own risks and may not be preferable to others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bob_

bob_ New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    hi taledo.

The injection hurts a tiny bit. Your ENT may give you a numbing shot first to numb the ear. The numbing shot isn't directly into your eardrum, and it's anesthetized, so it's not too painful. I've also done an intratympanic shot without a numbing shot beforehand and it's bearable -- I prefer the numbing only because it's important not to move during the injection, and the numbing shot makes it a little easier to hold still. The hardest part for me was needing to stay still without swallowing *after* the shot, but even that isn't too bad.

Best of luck. I hope you have a good outcome.