1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Does taking lower doses of Valtrex worj?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sheedowr, Aug 27, 2021.

1. sheedowr

sheedowr New Member

Aug 27, 2021
    work* not worj

I started up on 1000mg Valtrex 3x/day a few days ago but it’s destroying my stomach. Can I take something like 500mg 6x/day or something? Or is 3000mg a day even necessary?

Also, is it a good idea to combine Valtrex with L-Lysine?

2. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    I would try to get on acyclovir. If you want a good effort and MUCH less pills you can take just 1 800mg pill a day for maint.
    acyclovir works just as well as vala or fami does. drs though are selling or pushing these others dues to naivete or for their own benefit.
    if you are staying on vala, refer to the pharmacological sites to gauge dosage.
    Valtrex Dosage Guide - Drugs.com

there are no complications found with taking lysine and these drugs at all.

3. IvanNew

IvanNew Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Try a stomach protector before for example omeprazole.

4. sheedowr

sheedowr New Member

Aug 27, 2021
    I have access to acyclovir. I'm taking the Valtrex at this dosage because it's what Dr. Gacek recommended to me. What are your reasons for taking acyclovir instead?

5. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    I like Gacek a lot and am thankful for all he did. but if he had a weak point jt was because he had a relationship with that pharma company who also sponsored some of his research. Simply put there is little to no evidence it works any better than acyclovir and is hideously more expensive. I have 3 only ever read a very small study that was sponsored by the manufacturer which showed mixed claims. Furthermore , it takes more pills which for some of us is challenging as we supplement.