1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Dr Gacek and Cochlear Hydrops

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Santa, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Happy to report that it has now been since Saturday that my MM symptoms and headaches have fallen into the background of life. Still aware of the tinnitus and fluctuating hearing but overall much better whilst pushing the envelope too (Giants mania continues with a parade tomorrow). So good to have my energy back!!!! Wahoo!!!!

I decided to continue with the 2400 Mg of Acyclovir to see what another week does. I have been taking that divided into 4 doses a day. I just sent my MD a good news update, about my decision to continue the higher dosage and suggested that if my hearing hasn't improved, we give Gacek's favorite Valacyclovir a try and see if that flips the switch. See what happens….

I can now imagine a future I want to live :)

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Great news! If when you do decrease and symptoms come back, go back up to 2400 mg for another 2 weeks or so then try again. Sometimes it takes longer before we can decrease w/o symptoms returning. It took me many months before I can get from 1200 mg to 800 mg maintenance dose. ( I chose to go from 1600 mg to 1200 mg instead of right to 800 mg) I just felt my MM was not ready to do such a drastic reduction. But I have been on 800 mg for about 1 year now.

3. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Wonderful news, Holly! Yay!!

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Wonderful Holly! Remember, there may/will be setbacks but keep forging ahead.

5. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Way to go holly. Way to go giants. Way to go Seminoles
    Acyclovir cleared My ear in the beginning. Lasted about 10 Days

Then went full for five weeks. Switched to valacyclovir and after four days my ear cleared
    Partially. Not a full clearance. Still noise distortions and loud tinnitus

6. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    My dr just called in the correct amount of valacyclovir to fulfill dr gaceks protocol

Love my dr

7. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Weird thing happened Friday at 3:30. Vertigo started coming on. I did my usual. I denied it. But, it came on anyway. It lasted about an hour. About a half hour into I could walk and was just a little wobbly, stumbley. Then another half hour I was ok. And another hour I was great.

Hearing still hasn't cleared totally. I can hear my my fingers rubbing next to my ear. Not as good as the other side. The tinnitus and inner ear noises are very loud.

Feeling good today.

Good Health to everyone.

8. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I had an interesting thing happen to me today that has my hopes up. I have been dealing with MM for 25 years - 10 years undiagnosed, 15 years diagnosed. And at least in the 15 years since I was diagnosed I have never been able to "pop" my bad ear when landing in an airplane. I always "valsalva" when coming down to relieve the pressure but only my good ear has ever popped. I am a fairly frequent flyer so I estimate landing in a plane over 200 times in the last 15 years. My right ear has never popped. So today when the plane began coming down in altitude I felt the familiar pain in my ears and I started to think about doing the valsalva when all of the sudden my bad ear let out a prolonged, squeaky, glorious pop. I did not even have to valsalva. The only change in my treatment is that I began taking 2400 mg daily of acyclovir 6 days ago. All because of this fantastic forum. I know I am not cured but for the first time in a very long time I feel hopeful. Thank you everyone and especially Solari.

9. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    That's some good news teesdale. Glad to HEAR it.

I again had some vertigo today. It was mild and I was able to wobble and stumble, but it made me very tired. The wobbling lasted about two hours. But three hours later I feel kind of drugged.

It's been my typical history over the last 6 months. When my ear is full I don't get vertigo. When it gets clear I get vertigo.

The last two vertigo attacks have not kept me from doing what I need to do. But, they still suck.

10. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Teesdale, that is so wonderful. Yay!!!

Santa, sorry about the wobbles today. It does seem like you are having more good days than you used to. I hope that is true and that it continues.

11. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    My hearing is better and I am not dreadfully having the aural fullness. But, now I am nervous that I am going back into the pattern of having vertigo every day or every other day.

12. enjoy

enjoy Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Focus on yourself getting better and you won't have time for the nervousness.

13. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I was entertaining yesterday at an assisted living facility. I play bass drum with left foot (bad ear side) and hi-hat cymbals on the right side, harmonica and guitar. I have a loud singing voice. I do this acoustically. No amplifiers. For a long time whenever I play I have had to put an ear plug in left ear. Yesterday, within 15 minutes of playing I started to feel vertigo coming on. I immediately took the plug out of my ear and kept performing. The vertigo went away.

Tonight I have band practice. Yes, lots of loud amplifiers. I will try without ear plug first and maybe have to put it in, maybe not.

Of course the tinnitus is screaming and it's like I have been to a rock concert. Who knows how tonight will go. Fingers crossed. Toes too.

14. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Hi Everyone!

WOW! I had a rather 'regular' weeklong run! Feeling good with very little MM symptoms at all! Been on JOH Regimen 100% for 8 weeks, acyclovir full dose for 4 weeks then switched to valacyclovir now for two weeks. Get a hearing test in a week to see what kind of hearing recovery I have. For sure, it is better since switching to the valacyclovir and I am not favoring my good ear all the time. I am soooo grateful for this site to get me on a good track of self empowerment!

I have had some other weird things show up since taking the valacyclovir but it might not be related at all. I can say one thing for sure is that any of it I would trade to avoid the malaise, tinnitus, fullness and hearing loss of MM.

I even hired a career coach to get me back in the marketplace. I think by early next year I will be stable enough to take on some responsibility other than my own damage controlled life!

Many Blessings!

15. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Wonderful Holly! Good luck with embarking on a new career!

16. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Thanks Vicki!

17. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    HollyFlo - that is great news. Isn't it amazing how we get to that point to appreciate such little things that we used to take for granted? I am happy that the a/v switched helped you. Good luck on your new career development.

18. deadeye

deadeye Member

May 12, 2014
    enjoy!

19. valsc0508

valsc0508 New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Santa, have you tried allergy meds? I started taking them (Claritin) a couple weeks before JOH and it did seem to help with the fullness but not the tinnitus, distortions or hearing. I'm sorry because it is SO annoying.

20. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Yes, valsco. I did take Claritin and Claritn D last winter. I am now taking Fonaze which seems to be helping with the amount of mucous I produce every day. But, it did nothing for the the aural fullness.

Thanks for asking!