1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Dr. Gacek

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by imback, Mar 30, 2016.

1. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    The other day there was a post about Meniere's possibly being an epidemic. It turns out my co-worker has Meniere's. You think you know somebody. LOL. Actually he just started with my organization.

Anyway, I told him about Dr. Gacek and anti-virals and he spoke to his doctor at Columbia Presbyterian in NY City today. The doctor told him he heard of the study,but it has never been replicated. My question is: have they tried to replicate it? Is anyone aware of it being replicated? If not, why hasn't anyone tried?

Thanks,

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I know one place that it has been replicated, Tampa Bay Hearing and Balance Center. I don't know why doctors don't try it in their clinical practice.
    http://www.tampabayhearing.com/menieresdisease
    "It appears that adding anti-virals improves the rate of establishing control, improves control rate to 85% [7] much sooner, and decreases the risk of recurrence."

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Member

May 17, 2014
    No, the Gacek study has not (to my knowledge) been replicated. Very simple.

Replicating it would take time and funds; for which there would be absolutely no return for any party suppling the time or funds. Anyone who knows anything about viral biology can understand that replicating Gacek's work would yield virtually identical results. Herpes viruses are herpes viruses, as are the drugs Gacek prescribed. Do it all over again, and the same results will appear. Gacek had statistically significant numbers of patients try his protocols.

The real issues are these. One, no party gets any financial benefit from replicating the story. Now if Gacek had been doing a clinical trial of a new, expensive, make-the-drug-company-rich sort of medicine, you bet, confirming replications would have been conducted right off, so as to prove without reservation the new drug works. The drug company would stand to increase its revenues and share prices. But the drugs Gacek used are made by many companies. Their sales will not be appreciably increased by positive Meniere's applications (Meniere's is a relatively infrequent disease).

The second reason no subsequent, external replication of Gacek's work will happen is that it directly threatens the income of surgery-prone doctors. Right now, without antiherpetic therapy, ENTs and similar medical professionals know full well, and benefit so well, that many, if not a majority of Meniere's cases progress to the point where expensive, highly income-generating surgeries would need to be performed. Simply prescribing the Gacek stuff eliminates big surgical fees. It takes two minutes of a physician's time to write a prescript for the antiherpetics in Gacek's protocol. The good doctor simply makes no money from that. He's not into medicine because he's a nice guy. He's got big med school bills yet to be paid off, and his house and car have to be of proper status. Simply writing prescripts won't support any of that.

In this case, the good doctor's refusal to write the prescriptions because Gacek's work "has not been replicated" is bogus to the core. He knows full well that the antiherpetic drugs are extremely safe, and are prescribed for other herpes infections profusely (for which no surgical procedures can be used, such as cold sores). Simply, Gacek's profound work stands solidly and sufficiently by itself. It works, safely and effectively. Not one scintilla of science that would require a replication.

And, finally, even if there were 3 subsequent, positive replications of Gacek's work, the bloke would find SOME reason not to use antiherpetics. He's got to protect a major source of his income. Antiherpetics are a threat to his way of life. Sorry to say.

--John of Ohio

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

they also say
    Our experience matches Gacek's: the vast majority of Meniere's patients do remarkably better on long term antivirals. Dr Gacek suggests control rates of 85% for Meniere's, 90% for recurrent vestibular neuritis. Learn as well about chronic fluctuating utricular saccular dysfunction.
    Our experience is that labyrinthectomy, sac surgery, vestibular nerve section, and even transtympanic gentamicin are needed much less often if long term anti-herpes meds are used: acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir.
    http://www.tampabayhearing.com/vestibularneuritis.php.

5. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks for your input. Very interesting perspective John. I will let it sink in and see if I agree. I need time to think about it. I understand your skepticism.

Vicky thanks for the link.

6. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    The results have been replicated by many hearing centers. Tampa Bay, as mentioned. Gacek's son. There are several local doctors finding similar results.

7. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I agree with JOH - there is nothing "in it" for the drug companies or anyone to invest in clinical research confirming a/v work...since a/v are already available. Sadly unless there are big profits (new brand name drug with huge profits during patent) there is not going to be additional clinical trials on a/v as additional use towards Meniere's. Further, since most doctors do not even agree nor has been there any way to confirm what started Meniere's in each of us (since many people have virus but don't get Meniere's) doubt there would be agreement on treatment protocol.

8. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    About 2 years ago, I told my doctor about the AVs and Dr. Gacek's study, which she had heard of, but didn't believe in. I now realize that I am very lucky that she is a reasonable person, and said AVs are very low risk so I might as well try. She was sure to have me take hearing tests before and after to document it. I had big improvements and even regained some of my hearing. I know she prescribes AVs to other people now, too, because I have sent two people her way, one from this group. Recently I had an appointment with another doctor and an ENT intern there (because she was out). The intern seemed to know about and understand the AVs. I expressed my surprise about that. He said that was because my doctor is his teacher, and she's telling all the interns about them, so there is some hope.

9. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Also June's doctor Dr. Derebery in California uses antivirals (famvir) for Meniere's and has a good success rate with them, but June would have better info on this.

10. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I tend to agree with JOH and others regarding why further studies are not being done with antivirals. However if someone could get a media story out on someone's success story and by dumb luck it was picked up be the associated press and widely circulated it might just begin to have some impact. Just a thought.

Has there ever been a survey run on this site to see how many members are using antivirals and their success rate?

Lastly, is there not anyway to get antiviral meds without a doctor prescribing it? Not even orderly in Europe or Africa for example.

11. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Yes there have been a few surveys the problem is not everyone who has success with antivirals still log on to the forums.

If I am not mistaken I think in Australia acyclovir does not require a script, I could be wrong but somehow I recall reading this.

12. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Somebody here said she got antivirals off the internet from India? Do a search for it.

13. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Unless I was desperate, I would not but an anti-viral from India or anywhere else on the internet. But I could with this horrible disease understand being desperate. I get so angry and disgusted.

14. Gary N

Gary N New Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Vicki
    I'm in Austarlia and you need a script for anti virals, Ive been on Vaclovir generic brand for Valacyclovir for 3 months at 3000mg a day and have reduced the vertigo attacks with vomiting that we are all had before to around 2 a month being around 3 weeks apart was 4-6 a month previlously before I started the AV's

Im still on the full dose and was hoping to go a month and then reduce dosage but had a another episode of vertigo /vomiting yesterday and these will usually will last for 4-6 hours.

What waiting time have other users of anti virals gone without attacks before going down in dosage.

Im on the full JOH programme since November and feel this is also assisting and using SERC 3 x 16mg a day, I apppear to be attacking this dam MM at all angles and hope the AV will kick in a bit more over time, also reading up on MAV

15. Marta

Marta Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I got my first AVs from India. Then I managed to get AV produced here in UK so I switched to the home brand. I wanted to check if UK med would work better than the ones from India. Now I can say there is no difference.

I heard that antivirals can be bought over the counter in Spain. I actually read it on this forum.

16. Donamo

Donamo Member

May 12, 2014
    Ottawa, Ont
    The House Ear Clinic in California was going to run a well formulated test on AV's but then cancelled at the last minute due to lack of funding. This was a couple of years ago. It was what got me started on Famciclovir and I haven't looked back since. Leading a pretty much normal life now with only occasional fullness discomfort.

17. Vicki

Vicki Guest

wonderful donamo! yes we were all disappointed when it was cancelled. I noticed the house ear clinic did other studies since, even one with Dr Derebery not long ago. I am hoping they will resume the antiviral study.

18. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Love to hear the anti-viral success stories. I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I will be talking to him about it.

19. clearing

clearing Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Dr. Gacek was not the first to study this...just the first in the U.S. It was actually he who knowingly or unknowingly replicated another study larger. see below

Abstract

Despite a variety of proposed causes, the real etiology of Meniere's disease (MD) is still unknown. Since no effective treatment has been established yet, the patients with this disease usually suffer from the uncomfortable symptoms for a long period and repeated recurrences. The symptoms and pathologic changes reported to date, let the author to the idea that the majority of MD is caused by viral infection to vestibulocochlear area, probably herpesvirus infection. The author attempted to administer acyclovir (ACV) to patients with MD and obtained a dramatic therapeutic effect. Between October 1990 and October 1997, 301 patients were administered ACV with the dose of 2,000 mg/day for the average period of two weeks. The effectiveness was evaluated by objective and subjective symptoms of patients with MD under a definite criteria comparing features between pre- and after- ACV administration referring to AAO-HNS criteria. Special attention was paid to the patients followed more than three years after the treatment (about 150 cases) for the detailed evaluation of effectiveness. Out of 250 evaluatable cases 89 cases showed 'marked effect' and 116 cases were 'effective', indicating total 205 effective cases (82.0%). There were 24 unclear cases (9.6%). Only 21 cases (8.4%) showed 'no effect'. No side effect was observed in this series of the study.

Mitsuo Shichinohe's scientific contributions while affiliated with Fukushima Medical University (Fukushima, Japan)

20. joebiosolid

joebiosolid New Member

Dec 18, 2017