1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Dr. Jennifer Derebery, House Ear

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brownrecluse, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Being severely bilateral, already having had a laby and CI, I had never consulted with Dr. Derebery, even though she is in my county. My cardiologist had been insisting that I see her, so I finally relented. Went there, and I have to say, she is the real deal. I gave her a concise medical history, list of medications, test results from the past, list of my treatment history and current symptoms.

I had a hearing test, had some wax removed from my ears first, and then she spent at least 45 minutes with me and my wife going over options, cost/benefit, you name it. She was engaged, empathetic, precise. She did not try to sugarcoat where I am, which she noted was at the severe end of the Menieres spectrum. But she had several good ideas for potential improvement, and I will be attempting all of them.

If you want someone who knows this disease cold, and who will give it to you straight, she is my pick. And I have seen more doctors for this illness than I care to recall. Be warned: she is not touchy-feely at all. She is analytical, objective, clinical. My wife and I prefer that. We want facts, not fluff. Dr. Derebery will give you that. She has given me some hope of improvement in hearing, balance and tinnitus. Not hyperacusis. Not eye issues. Not returning to anything like a normal life. But better. And where I am, that is enormous. Before you ask, no, I am not a relative of hers. I just respect her honesty, and maybe some of you out there would benefit from that as well.

I should add that all the people at House Ear were great. Kind, efficient, concerned, knowledgeable. We Menieres folk do not often encounter such in our search for answers and help.

2. Gustav123

Gustav123 Is it great yet?

May 12, 2014
    Its sounds like you are good hands,best of luck with your treatments. I almost went to see her too and would have but I took another path.

3. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    BR--- good post

Dr. Brackmann at House Ear
    and
    Dr. Rauch at MEEI / Harvard.

Were that way as well and like you I needed that. Just give me the facts and let me know my options.

You the man BR!

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have been a patient of Dr Derebery for 6 years. I would agree with BR's description.
    Touch feely, no. Returned my hearing to normal range, yes. She has more tools in her tool box than the other oto's i have consulted. I would add she is pleasant, answers all questions and is not arrogant.

5. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Thanks for this posting. Although I live in San Francisco, it might behoove me to make my way down there. I feel at the end of the line with the Kaiser MD's. What is the cost of working with her? I have Medical but most ace MD's don't take it so it's out of pocket usually.

Thanks!

6. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    is she single

7. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse Member

Jun 5, 2014
    No, she is not single, but quite attractive. And my wife (who was with me since I communicate poorly these days) tells me she has just a touch of a Texas accent.

8. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014

Uh oh, just my type.
    Maybe I should make an appt.

9. beeskerdog

beeskerdog New Member

May 14, 2014
    I've been her patient for about 4 years now. Her and the allergy staff are all top notch, caring people.
    The House clinic is a wonderful place. Best of luck to all.

John

10. Halos

Halos Member

May 21, 2014
    Does she perform the vns and laby operations? Those are my choices is my shunt fails?

11. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    She is a surgeon. I do not know if she is doing these opreations herself right now but if she is not, some of the best ear surgeons in the world are at House Ear Clinic and i am sure she would refer you if that was the next step.

12. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    I love my laby, it is the cure to MM IMO.
    Good luck with the shunt, but just know if it ever comes to it, there is nothing to fear from the laby. I would get another one if it ever came to it and just hear with a CI and walk a little more slowly through life.

There are many on this board without vestibular function in either ear.and they lead happy productive lives. In fact they no longer come around because they have put mm in their past/rear view mirror and are out living their lives.

Good luck!

13. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Went to my first physical therapy appointment today at House Ear, with Theresa England, prescribed by Dr. Derebery. She is the FIRST physical therapist I have ever seen who deeply understands Menieres issues. She did not prescribe weird exercised with an inflated ball, intense physical activity, anything like that. But she did very carefully observe how I walked, what happened when I stood in a corner and closed my eyes, and her questionnaire was extensive, focused, and by far the best I have ever seen in zeroing in on the very specific problems we Menieres folks face. She gave me only two exercised to do, and they are totally focused on balance and vestibular function, require no exertions likely to exacerbate my symptoms, and offer some real promise.

I am beginning to feel like an idiot that I did not go to House Ear when this monster first struck me. Instead, I went to my alma mater's Medical Center, reputedly the best in the Western U.S. It does not hold a candle to House Ear where Menieres is concerned. Live, or be the living dead, and learn, I guess.

14. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I went t vestibular therapy near my home a few years ago and had the time type of evaluation as you described.

I am glad you are being taken care of in a place that knows what they are doing and I wish you much success in getting relief.

Keep us posted.

15. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Hey has anyone gone to the House Clinic in Organge or Huntington Beach? I have friends there which would make a visit to the Clinic more affordable but if going would rather be with the 'monster' MD. Is Dr Derebery a cut above or just the one folks here have seen?

16. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I would see dr derebery.

17. beeskerdog

beeskerdog New Member

May 14, 2014
    Ditto what June said. The drive to downtown can be ugly but it's well worth it.

John

18. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Concur. My cardiologist, a genius who not only saved my life twice but discovered some of my falls were due to a condition unrelated to Menieres, pretty much insisted that I see her. And he was right. Better than all others I have seen, by a mile.

19. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Thanks all for that. On my list for December possible...

20. acujen

acujen Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Brownclosure,

I didn't realize you also had a CI. Does it work for you? I'm assuming you no longer have vertigo since you're at the end stages of Meniere's, right? Do you have complete vestibular loss?

Jen