1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Dramatic Effect - Bone disease medications may reverse hearing loss

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mindosa, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Whau, that could be a connection! When I got my MD recently, I was wondering why my mother at 80 still has very good and sharp hearing!? In fact I newer met the person in similares years with that very sharp hearing!

But maybe because for many years she used bisphosphonates for the low bone density and still uses them!!!

According to research below, the scientists at Harvard found that bisphosphonates had a dramatic effect at regenerating the synapses between inner hair cells and spiral ganglion neurons found in the ear, and restoring cochlear function.

The team further suggested that their finding provides possible mechanisms that could explain why some patients in the clinic have improved their ability to recognize speech after bisphosphonate treatment.

This is very new publication of the research:

Dramatic Effect

It would be very important to know, is there someone in this forum who uses this kind of medication and how it impacts MD and hearing!

I would be very appreciative for posting someone's experience!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I am so excited about that, it could be the way to preserve hearing in early stages of MD!!!

Now I am so eager to get the reciepe for this madication and to check on my self when it is not to late!

3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    I checked bisphosphonates descriptions on the drug market and it turns out that is very convenient medication, you need to take only one tablet per week or one tablet per month depending on which exact medication will you choose.

4. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Well digging deeper about Bisphosphonates, I found more interesting stuff!

Third generation bisphosphonates for treatment of sensorineural hearing loss in otosclerosis

Treatment with zoledronate or risedronate stabilized progressive sensorineural hearing loss related to otosclerosis in this small group of patients. Two patients (3 ears) showed improvement by defined audiometric criteria.
    We suspected that bisphosphonate treatment would be more likely to slow or halt progression of sensorineural hearing loss, rather than improve already existing hearing loss.

But what exactly is Otosclerosis? According to this treatment patent:

US7781419B2 - Use of bisphosphonates for otosclerosis - Google Patents

Otosclerosis as used herein refers to a bony dyscrasia of the capsule of the bone around the hearing and balance part of the inner ear. In the active phase there are seen to be abundant osteoclasts in the bone and a softening or spongiotic phase where it produces its most significant effect upon the inner ear.

More prevalent, are the disorders secondary to the effect of this softened bone around the inner ear. This softened bone interferes with the way the inner ear works, producing a broad range of unfavorable symptoms such as mechanical hearing loss, inner ear sensorineural hearing loss, dizziness, tinnitus, and Meniere's syndrome.

The diagnosis for otosclerosis remains difficult to make. It often requires special x-rays of the inner ears; thorough knowledge of the anatomy and pathology of the ear, especially as related to otosclerosis; patient clinical information including history, physical examination; and results of patient hearing and auditory tests.

Treatment of Otosclerosis with Bisphosphonates

This method involves administering a bisphosphonate at least one and a half times (150%) the recommended dose for osteoporosis, resulting in an unexpected improvement in hearing, as shown by improved range and sensitivity or cessation of further hearing loss, diminishment of tinnitus, and reduction in the symptoms of Meniere's syndrome beyond anything observed previously.

More about results you can find in this treatment patent. Also there is very thorough info which medicament and in which doses to take.

Now I am thinking why we didn't hear about it before?! This treatment patent was registered in 2004?

So to summarize everything up:
    • Whit Bisphosphonates you can treat Otosclerosis which causes Meniere's syndrome
    • According to the scientists at Harvard, bisphosphonates had a dramatic effect at regenerating the synapses between inner hair cells and spiral ganglion neurons found in the ear, and restoring cochlear function
    I don't know about you, but for me it is more than apparent to start this treatment protocol!

Have a nice day!

5. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    One more interesting thing I noticed in researching about bisphosphonates medicaments:

Osteoporosis starts to happen in women after menopause, when the body doesn't produce enough estrogen.
    The same with the men, when the body doesn't produce enough testosterone.

Everything starts to happen in the middle age.

In my opinion there could be a connection - MD usually happens in the middle age also.

What is your opinion?

6. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  7. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    You are absolutely right! Every medication has side effects, even antivirals. But why then MD sufferers are using antivirals when there is a natural source like lysine for suppressing the virus?

The info above I posted is not for treating osteoporosis, but for the inner ear disorders.

Besides, I don't know if I understood you correctly, are you suggesting to treat MD with D3, K2 and boron?

P.S.: MD is not funny

8. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Loss of osteoprotegerin expression in the inner ear causes degeneration of the cochlear nerve and sensorineural hearing loss

Osteoprotegerin (OPG) is a key regulator of bone remodeling. Mutations and variations in the OPG gene cause many human diseases that are characterized by not only skeletal abnormalities but also poorly understood hearing loss: Paget's disease, osteoporosis, and celiac disease.

To gain insight into the mechanisms of hearing loss in OPG deficiency, we studied OPG knockout (Opg(-/-)) mice.

We show that they develop sensorineural hearing loss, in addition to conductive hearing loss due to abnormal middle-ear bones..which could be rescued by treatment with exogenous OPG, an ERK inhibitor, or bisphosphonate.

Loss of osteoprotegerin expression in the inner ear causes degeneration of the cochlear nerve and sensorineural hearing loss - PubMed

9. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  10. jose suarez

jose suarez Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Where I can find bisphosphonate? I need it

11. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    What are the safer options