1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Drop attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Claybustr, Sep 2, 2019.

1. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    And another interesting one (basically, after gentamicin not working well enough, going onto labyrinthectomy - "Vertigo was controlled (class A) in all the patients who received labyrinthectomies (n = 4) or vestibular neurectomy (n = 1)":

Laryngoscope. 2015 Apr;125(4):972-8. doi: 10.1002/lary.25009. Epub 2014 Nov 1.
    Management of intractable Ménière's disease after intratympanic injection of gentamicin.
    Rah YC1, Han JJ, Park J, Choi BY, Koo JW.
    Author information
    Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seongnam, Republic of Korea.
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS:
    1) To evaluate the efficacy of, and problems with, intratympanic gentamicin injection (ITG) in medically intractable definite Ménière's disease (MD) and secondary endolymphatic hydrops (EH); and 2) to review the vestibular status and treatment options of intractable vertigo even after ITG.

STUDY DESIGN:
    Retrospective case review and survey.

METHODS:
    780 patients with definite MD and secondary EH were enrolled. Long-term outcomes and problems of applied treatment options including ITG and exploratory tympanotomy and gentamicin application (ETG) were analyzed.

RESULTS:
    Of the 780 patients, 95 patients received ITG. Class A and B control of vertigo was achieved in 85 (89.5%) patients; two patients were class C and eight patients were class F (ETG: 6; labyrinthectomy: 1; vestibular neurectomy: 1). Among seven patients who received ETG including 1 patient who skipped ITG due to chronic otitis media, five patients improved to class A, showing a 71.4% success rate; and labyrinthectomies were performed subsequently in the two remaining patients. Vertigo was controlled (class A) in all the patients who received labyrinthectomies (n = 4) or vestibular neurectomy (n = 1). Eight patients (8.4%) experienced more than 10 dB worsening, and two patients (2.1%) progressed to bilateral Ménière's disease.

CONCLUSION:
    ITG failed to control vertigo in 10.5% of cases. ETG may be a reasonable option to facilitate the delivery of gentamicin into the inner ear by direct application of gentamicin over the round window and the oval window. Labyrinthectomy and vestibular neurectomy still have roles in the era of ITG.

© 2014 The American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society, Inc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Really useful stuff, Anne. This is the kind of information I was looking for a year ago when deciding between gent and laby. Thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Claybustr

Claybustr New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    It has been about a month since my last drop attack. I have completely stopped drinking alcohol and caffeine. The alcohol was easy but damn I miss a good cup of coffee. The decaf stuff tastes like ass. I found a local Otolaryngologist and have had 1 appointment. I am waiting to have an MRI to rule out the inner ear tumor thing but I have not been experiencing any facial numbness. I am encouraged that I haven't had any additional drop attacks but I have still been experiencing some fogginess, possible from a concussion from the last fall. I've been taking OLE (3 grams/day) but its difficult for me to space it into 6 doses. I've been taking 1500MG 2x a day. I have not changed anything from JOH.

I just ordered B5 and B6 and will try that as well. I have to admit I would love to take a lot less supplements daily but I'm not sure about making any changes. Even though I haven't been bouncing my head off the floor since Labor Day (US), my life is still revolving around the disease. I had pretty much given up on doctors but this new one spent 2 hours doing a complete work up, hearing test, ear cleaning etc... He says he treats a lot of meniere's patients and that he can help me. I am hopeful...

4. Claybustr

Claybustr New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    I've been taking 1000mg Lysine 3 times daily on an empty stomach and trying to take OLE 1500mg twice daily. Do I have the OLE dose wrong? I thought I saw a post somewhere where JOH indicated OLE 500mg 6 times daily.