1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Ear infection/ bullous myringitis and Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MaryR, Dec 5, 2019.

1. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi friends,
    So, apparently my middle ear and tympanic membrane got jealous that my inner ear was getting all the attention, and they decided to act up too.

I’ve had the most horrible pressure, fluctuating pain, constant fullness, popping, and echoing/ hollow whooshing, blowing sounds, muffled hearing, and crazy Tinnitus in BOTH ears for the past week. I’ve been terrified that I’ve gone bilateral.

Well, I finally went to my cardiologist (aka primary care doctor) today to take a look, after my ENT refused to see me, saying that he referred me to the Neurotologist and I would have to be followed by her, that I was no longer his patient for matters related to my Menieres. Ummmm what? And the neurotologist office said the first time she could squeeze me in was the end of January.

So, my amazing cardiologist looked in my ears, said my ear drums on both sides were bulging and very close to rupturing, as there was so much fluid behind them, and he added the disturbing news that both tympanic membranes had blisters on them. He said he thinks it’s a micoplasma infection called Bullous myringitis and prescribed me Antibiotics and suggested I try to get seen by an actual ENT.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Or has anyone had any middle ear/ tympanic membrane issues concurrent with Menieres? Does this sound like it could be related to a Eustatian tube problem? Any advice for treatment, prognosis, or guesses as to how this fits into the Menieres puzzle?

Thanks for reading, and sharing any experiences or advice about this. I appreciate you all, and this forum so much!

happy weekend,
    warmly, Mary

2. Lesli

Lesli New Member

Dec 7, 2019
    Hi Mary,

I am having the same issues. I have had my menieres under control for over 10 years but lately got ear infection in both ears that won't get under control. Yesterday I had a vicious vertigo attack that sent me to the ER. I was told by hospital my ear fluid is messing with inner ear.