1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Embarrassed to use RR at work now

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Roguehistorian, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Roguehistorian

Roguehistorian Sans Souci

May 13, 2014
    Near the Mountians
    I have to tell you this story to fully explain why Im having an issue...
    We used to have a lady at my work that had some issues. Mainly she was a really bad diabetic and didn't take care of it and the meds gave her GI issues, well that coupled with the gravy biscuits she ate every morning... She wouldn't "spray" or leave the vent fan on and it was very unpleasant for anyone having to use the facilities after her, plus for some unknown reason, the odor wafted into the bosses office through the vent or something and it was unbearable. The lady quit last year (long story) and I took her place in the office. People still talk about her restroom visits and how it made the entire office unbearable.

Ok, so now I've got a problem using the facilities at work. They were again today talking about her frequent visits and how she'd not use the fan or spray and how bad the office smelled when she used the restroom. Then it was mentioned that you could "hear her go" through the wall in the adjacent office.
    I have IBS, and although Im working with a GI doctor to get it fixed, Im embarrassed to use the bathroom at work. I know its bad sometimes, and I know it can be "heard" now. They know I have IBS, and I try not to eat anything that might set me off. But some days Im really sick at work, and I can't afford to stay home so I can poop. I just take my meds, hydrate and deal with it. I couldn't work a job where I didn't have unlimited access to the bathroom. Between the water pill for my ears and the IBS, Im always in a bad way.
    Today they were talking about that other lady when I left the room to prep some technology stuff, I returned to part of a comment about how "she (me) aint no better" and then dead silence and that akward change of subject. I played it off as if I didn't hear it (usually I wouldn't have my ears are bad). Im a little upset because I'd like to be able to use the restroom without everyone getting in an uproar.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Im working with the GI doc to determine the cause (IBS, crohns or colitis) and will have tests done at the end of the month, but in the meantime its hit or miss to get the diet end right to prevent the issue, and even when I get it right sometimes my tummy is still messed up. Its bad enough that I have to re-route my life around a bad tummy, but to have the whole office get upset is really quite another thing.
    I'd say I don't care what others think, and until today's horrible office convo about the other lady I didn't. Why can't they find something else to obsess over?

2. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    You're doing the same thing ;D Stop obsessing over what they might say about you.

Dang girl, go to the restroom if ya need to. Everybody does.

3. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    Okay I learned a secret from my husband. He carried wooden matched with him to the bathroom at work. He will light them and waft the match around him and blow it out and then do it again. It burns the poo gas right up and no more stinky. I carry them as well because I have IBS. Also flushing when I have to make noise works too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Is there only one restroom at work?

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    They sell this on QVC and all kinds of people call in telling how it really does work. You spritz some of it onto the toilet bowl water before going and it supposedly traps the odor.

http://www.poopourri.com/

6. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    You know what pisses me off? People always talking bad about other people. Especially in a work environment.
    Bring a small radio and some air freshener. Leave a nice smelling candle in there. Then tell them all to fk off.
    People seem to have no consideration or compassion for others, especially when illness is involved.
    Somehow it makes them feel better to put others down. That's downright pitiful for them.

7. Roguehistorian

May 13, 2014
    Near the Mountians
    Actually there are three RR. One downstairs in the Police station (its NASTY) and we don't use it, its for the prisoners, and two upstairs (one public, one is ours) cross the hall from each other. The men generally use the "public" RR, and the ladies use the other.
    I spray before and after I go, I make sure the toilet brush is in the RR for "quick cleans" if need be, and I leave the fan running and close the door. I even "courtesy flush" despite it being a "one holer" (as momma used to say) But one lady keeps moving the brush back to the public RR, and although Im not ashamed to use what is essentially the mens room, we leave that one open for public use because that same lady pitches a FIT if anyone uses ours except us.

The match trick (we use that at home) leaves a smell of burnt match, which draws more attention. Someone else already tried that.
    The way the odors (good and bad) flow through the building is crazy. I was asked (nicely) to not bring anything that "stinks" for lunch anymore because the Indian food I brought "offended" some people because it had a "strong odor". It waifed from the "break room" all throughout the place. They opened doors and fussed for over an hour. Even when I spray the air freshener, the smell of that fills the entire office. (City Hall where I work is VERY small) The ONLY place it doesn't go is the PD and the Court Room. No one minds the air freshener. They HATE the all natural cleaning stuff and air freshener I use in my office, it smells like cinnamon and cloves (Thieves brand from Young Living), but I don't give a rip, its my office. We have an open door office policy so people wander in and out of the offices (except the police personnel's offices) without exception. If I experience gas there, my essential oil diffuser fan takes care of things pretty well. I run it on "bad" days, and no one has said a thing.

Compassion is lacked. Period. Its not much better than when I was a firefighter and everyone obsessed over bowel movements. In middle school people did this. What the crap (no pun intended) now? I don' have any friends at work so I guess it shouldn't matter. I literally have nothing in common with anyone and Im an outsider.

What I need is a winning lotto ticket... LOL

8. Intrepid

Intrepid Be original

May 17, 2014
    What you *need* is to honor where you are in life, disease and all, allow your body to release what it has to release and not feel embarrassed about being who you are, warts and all :)

I wish you peace of mind. Give yourself a big hug today and shut down that monkey mind and its chatter.

9. Bella

Bella Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Great advice on all accounts.

We even have a sign above the toilet and on the door, "You flush, you brush".

10. Roguehistorian

May 13, 2014
    Near the Mountians
    Thanks Intrepid!

I got a good laugh today when my hubby texted me and offered to drive up here to use the facilities.... If it wasn't an hour's ride I'd have let him! HAHA

Bella I LOVE the sign!! Brillant!

11. Aurora

Aurora New Member

May 25, 2014
    Seriously I would tell them to f**k off and mind their own business.............. but that's me.

12. Well then! :) :)

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Sounds like the true problem is poor ventilation of the entire building. Can a health assessment be done?

My church has a terrible ventilation problem too (perfume and aftershave trigger my vertigo) and years of effort on my part...has gotten me nowhere! It’s very frustrating. Maybe you’ll have better luck!