1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Epley Maneuver.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by wolfie1756, Jul 29, 2014.

1. wolfie1756

wolfie1756 New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    USA
    My doctor performed an Epley Maneuver procedure yesterday and assured me that the vertigo would go away. Let me be specific, I experience brief episodes of vertigo when I returned to bed after a bathroom break lasting few seconds, so he performed the procedure and assured me that vertigo attacks will go away. Has anyone in this forum had that procedure and if so, did it work?? I think this is a a typical snake oil, but I hope I'm wrong. He wanted me to see him in a week to see if it worked, but I'm not about to spend $ 45.00 co payment in one week.. I found out that this procedure can be done at home by our spouse. You may wish to see the videos ob YourTube for instructions, just type: Epley Maneuver for for more information.

Lastly, last night, I had a brief vertigo episode when I returned to bed, so figure it out.

Thanks, Bert.

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

the epley works for BPPV but not for Meniere's. For BPPV I needed to do it several times before the crystals were put back in place and stayed there.

3. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    There are many things that cause vertigo, so I'm not sure how your doctor can be so sure, but the Epley Maneuver works, as Vicki says, for BPPV-caused vertigo. It definitely worked for me. I have even stopped a vertigo episode with the at-home version. After doing the Epley Maneuver several times, I don't seem to be getting that kind of vertigo anymore. Before the Epley Maneuver I couldn't look up and back without losing my balance. Now I can.

There is also an at-home version you can do on yourself, which you can find here under "Home Epley Maneuver": http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html. You need to know which side the problem is on to use that, though. The pillow should be under the top of the back and shoulders, not the head--I found that a bit confusing at first.

4. wolfie1756

wolfie1756 New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    USA
    Thank you for your replies, they were helpful..Is it possible that a Meniere's patient can also have BPPV???

I make sure I will ask my doc next time I see him.

Bert.

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

yes it is very possible, I have Meniere's for many many years and about 5 years ago developed BPPV, but after doing the epley several times I haven't had BPPV since, so far.