1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Experience with Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT)?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Emily, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Hi all,

I recently heard about TRT for the first time. Apparently steady, low doses of noise (particularly "pink" noise?) can help a person adjust to tinnitus and hyperacusis (noise sensitivity). I'm surprised I can't find much information on this therapy on the forum. Has anyone done this?

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I have read about it and if it is done correctly by a good professional it usually helps to ignore or at least reduce its volume in 70% of cases. Or at least that's what they say.

Personally, as soon as they finish performing medical tests and if I see that osteopathy does not work, I want to try cochlear electrostimulation, it is a therapy that sends electrical stimuli that revitalize those cells of the inner ear that are bad, but have not yet died. It is not invasive or causes pain and it helps alleviate tinnitus, dizziness and dizziness, as well as improving hearing loss somewhat.

The problem is that in my country it is only done in two cities that are quite far away so I have to save for travel and accommodation. If I get money I want to try this summer, more than anything in case the covid attacks again and forces them to be locked up at home another 3-4 months in the fall.

3. Emily

Emily New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    I should mention - it is not the tinnitus that bothers nearly as much as the hyperacusis. So if you have any idea how to deal with noise sensitivity besides staying in quiet environments and using ear plugs/headphones please let me know!

4. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I had hyperacusis for a month or so, but I think it was due to nerves and anxiety and my first attack of vertigo was very strong and after more than a month the strong daily dizziness did not stop, I did not dare to do anything alone, etc. And he couldn't be seen by doctors or tested by the covid for months. In any case, everyone has told me that the hyperacusis ended up "healing" on its own over time, in my case it was like this at 4-6 weeks and I have been without a problem for a month and a half. Now the medium high sounds are uncomfortable for me, but I think it is out of psychological fear for what I experienced.

I also used earplugs during that season, but what worked best for me was isolating myself in a quiet room and trying to relax. In the latter it helped a lot to start physical therapy.

5. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    I had tinnitus for years, every type you can imagine, including an occasional 'pulsatile' type. I also had vertigo badly until I had the endolymphatic shunt surgery in 2012 and since then--no vertigo. I deal with ongoing lightheadedness that used to 'wax and wane' but the last year has been awful. I wear bilateral hearing aids and my test this past week just shows my hearing is very poor--but no answer for the quality of life altering head pressure and needing to sit back and fall asleep--daily at some point. I have had every test imaginable and nothing to address this problem has been answered. Now the pulsatile tinnitus in one ear that pounds loudly all day and when I go to bed--unless I lay on the side of the sound. It goes away--but on my back or left side it keeps me awake. It's only the one (good ear) and I do have chronic a-fib. Reading this can be a sign of serious issues or just 'tinnitus'. Anyone hear have this experience and if so can you comment? Thank you--