1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

fludrocortisone

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by verti, Sep 18, 2019.

1. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    I've asked this before but had no response, thought I would try again. Has anyone taken this med? If so, did it cause MM attack? Thanks.

2. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    I do not remember exactly the name of the cortisone tablets that my ENT uses to stop ongoing vertigo attacks, but I do know that he wanted to prescribe me some sort of cortisone tablets but could not because I am diabetic and cortisone complicates or can bring on diabetes.

Instead i was given a type of cortisone shot in the ear, actually it took two to work. And i went into remission for a year. Each time I got the shot it seemed to work. If you do not have glucose problems, my ENT said he would have just started me out with the cortisone tablets and then followed up if needed with the shot...as you do have to pierce the ear to inject.
    Unfortunately my attacks I am having now are MAV ..Vestibular migraine related and do not respond to cortisone.

So I can verify they use some sort of cortisone tablets for mm treatment. Are you being given this for a secondary issue and not mm?

The main thing to be aware of with cortisone is the onset of diabetes, especially if you have a family history.

Not sure if this helps or not, but at least wanted you to have a response second time around.Best to you Bonnie

3. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    Sorry, I should have looked up this corticosteroid before I posted.
    But now that I looked it up, it states that it can increase water retention in your body by regulating the sodium in your body.

So I understand your delimma. If you have increased water retention will it increase the hydrops in the ear, setting off a mm attack? Wish I could answer. Were there any alternative meds offered that did not increase water retention? Hopefully one of the smart people on this site have a good answer for you. Sorry.

4. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    Thanks Bonnie for reply. The Fludrocortisone was prescribed for low BP & I was warned if I gained as little as 3 lb. or it triggered migraine to stop taking it. I knew if
    it would cause wt. gain it would not be good for MM. I'm sorry you also have to deal with Migraines.

5. Bonlyn

Bonlyn Active Member

Dec 29, 2017
    New York
    I know Verti, isn' t bad enough to have to deal with menieres and then have side issues to deal with like low blood pressure and mav. I am hoping the best for you with the fludrocortizone. Bonnie :)