1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Flying and menieres . . . . a different perspective

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bill, Sep 16, 2014.

1. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach
    Not sure I miss flying ( was a million mile member of United in the 90s and logged almost 1/2 that on delta before meniere's.)
    Read with interest the posts on flying (mostly "no problem").

My particular version of Menieres offers random attacks of phantom ear pressure (some call it fullness). When this happens
    I can barely concentrate on breathing and the noise is louder than an "Alice Cooper" concert.

My ears adjusted fine pre menieres, but even a noisy car ride can make me "nuts" now.

Can't imagine hours in a plane.

I am happy for those that can fly without dis-comfort, but for those of you that have symptoms similar to mine
    you are not alone.

By the by I am able to manage day to day [balance and visual distortions] with meclizine. Low sodium (monitored by Mayo clinic) didn't help at all. Hearing aids from the VA and monitoring by VA helps me keep some semblance of a hearing person (but I am not).

For the most part little dizzys (as I call them ) are funny (escpecially when I crash my bicycle) BAM... Cal this disease my own
    private fun house/ circus.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Bill, not sure if you are describing middle ear pressure or not but if you are, plain psuedofed the day before the flight and a cut down (have the pharmacist cut the strength) of neosinphrine spray before boarding and 20 mins before descent might help.

3. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Feel the same way. My major attack was May 11, 2002, and by luck my last flight ever was before 9/11, so I never experienced the joys of TSA or the other enhanced "security." I knew I could not handle flying ever again. I even have trouble riding in a car, and have not driven one since shortly after that massive attack in 2002. Just once, actually, to get my wife to a necessary surgical appointment. And even then, only 4 miles round trip with all right turns. And I still felt like I was on a battlefield dodging artillery and machine gun fire.