1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

focusing at night

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nsully, Jan 22, 2020.

1. nsully

nsully New Member

Jan 21, 2020
    I have had Meniere's for ten years now. luckily, vertigo and tinnitus have in been in remission for the last couple of years. I only really notice vertigo when at night when I look at a light that is far from me. it is impossible for me to focus on the light and it is very confusing and disorienting. also when I am walking it is very difficult for to track objects also in motion such as an airplane. anyone else suffers from minor vertigo but that is amplified in these instances?

2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Granting your inner ear is compromised, your eyes will attempt to seek out set & stable visual cues in an attempt to assist your remaining peripheral sources; your muscles & joints. Focusing on one distant light at night grants only a sense of distance, while decreasing or altogether depriving your eyes—& subsequently your brain—of horizontal & vertical visual cues.

From the perspective of orientation, the difficulty you experience becomes analogous to the greater difficulty (or impossibility) an astronaut with a healthy inner ear will experience when attempting to establish their north, south, east, & west orientation relative to only one visual cue—that of a distant star embedded in the vacuum of space.

If you're willing, walk the same walkway during daylight hours & focus on a single visual cue roughly the same size, shape, & distance as said light at night-time. It is likely you will not find this confusing or disorienting as your orientation in space will be calculated by peripheral visual cues.

Mm, not so much amplified vertigo but rather amplified disequilibrium, yes, re' walking towards a distant light at night. Particularly if the ground I'm walking on is uneven or bumpy. I have no issues watching aeroplanes fly overhead, though.

Watching my niece & nephew jump up & down on a trampoline reliably amplifies my disequilibrium, too, & subsequently induces a slight degree of nausea—which is depressing because they spend all day everyday jumping on trampolines it seems *sighs & chuckles

Welcome to the forum, nsully.