1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Funny prayer

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Pupper, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I'm not a believer. My mom is very religious. We were at a formal family dinner at a nice restaurant a few months ago. My MM was quite bad at the time. And I'd just had a major spinning attack 2 days prior. She was saying the dinner prayer, and she says, "...and we are grateful for Pupper's health". I wanted to yell "WHAT!!!???"

I didn't say anything or hold it against her. I think she just reflexively thanks the lord for everything. But the irony killed me.

2. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    That's a funny story, Pupper. Things that make you go huh? You have a good attitude.

It reminds me of my so called devout aunt. She told me once too often that I was suffering from MM because I hadn't found Jesus. When I told her I wasn't aware that he was lost, she got all annoyed. She never proselytised again, tho so it was worth it.

3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I understand Melc. Funny comeback.

My mother is a good woman. But I can never have a completely real conversation with her about my MM, because I know she thinks if I'd only just be a Believer, the Lord would heal me.

If I actually dwell on that fact, it would bother me a lot. I mean, the fact that she actually thinks I'm at fault for my disease.

But she is sympathetic and caring. And she doesn't actually come out and say I'm to blame. She holds back. She remembers how we used to argue when I was a kid...

Ahh, whatever. No one is perfect. She's there for me if I really need her. That's what matters.

4. Apparently,my family thought I wasn't a good enough Christian. It's never ok to blame an illness(or success for that matter) on someone's illness or lack of illness. I specifically loved that in one conversation my uncle told me I needed to have stronger faith in God, while also telling me I should look up Edgar Cayce?! Huh?? My brand of Christianity is different from most. I don't deal with small minded or judgemental(of me). So, I don't talk to my uncle anymore...somehow, I can still live with myself. Any of you ever have to just let go of people because they wouldn't stop "attacking," you?

5. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I haven't heard of Edgar Cayce. I was tempted to google him, but thought better of it. I don't think I want to know.

Autumninthefall (love your username) getting toxic people out of your life is the best thing you can do for yourself and for the ones you love , as well as the ones that love you.

6. So very true, Mel

Pupper you are certainly missed!