1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

FYI, Copying from the old Database

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nwspin, May 15, 2014.

1. nwspin

nwspin Guest

FYI, I am copying some of the old threads from the old database. I have reported them to Ray so he will be moving them from the living room to the database.

2. nwspin

nwspin Guest

After copying some of the posts in the old database I noticed that I did not credit the original poster. I will try to get that done before Ray moves them to the database.

3. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do this! Just moved a bunch. : )

Ray

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I don't quite know what you mean by "copying" an old thread. Please explain what is you want us to do if we would like to see a thread that was in the old forum moved to this forum so it can be continued.

5. nwspin

nwspin Guest

Donamo,

I'm not sure if your question was for me or Ray (Solari). Last night I decided to copy some of the original posts from the old database and post them to the new forum so Ray could move them to the new database. I just wanted to let people who were on the forum last night know why I was creating so many post last night.

If you would like to see one of the posts from the old database moved to the new forums database, Ray had left a message on how to proceed. http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=8.0. Here's how I moved them.

1) You would need to find a post you would like to move and copy the text of the original (first) post and then in the new forums living room create a new topic and paste the text of the original in the new topic.

2) Then copy the header of the old post and paste it to the header of the new post. Before you hit the "post" button make sure you edit any of the html tools such as bold, hyperlink, etc, they do not copy from the old post. Also make sure you note who the original post was from to give credit to that poster.

3) When you are done hit the post button.

4) Then go back into the post and scroll down to the bottom of the post and you will see a "Report to moderator" link, hit that link and just let Ray know you want this post moved to the database.

Hopefully this helps. Also if anybody wants a topic moved from the old database and is not able to move it themselves, let me know and I will do it for you.

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    NWspin, does this get the whole thread or just an individual post? I would like to copy all of Success Stories but don't know how, unless it is post by post which I would be willing to do if necessary. Same with Dr's you would recommend ..

7. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    It basically works post by post, which is what you would likely have to do for each one as you paste into the new success thread. You don't need to report it since it's already in the database, you can just keep adding more success posts to the existing thread.

If it's a brand new topic/thread then yes, you do need to report it after you paste it as a new thread.

Hope this makes sense.

If you think it would help speed things up, I can give dedicated volunteers the ability to post directly to the database forum without needing to report threads. Just let me know and I can add you.

Thanks!
    Ray