1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Gacek's protocol and his response

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by scott tom, Sep 12, 2016.

1. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    The recent attacks on Dr. Richard Gacek in another thread are completely unfounded and based on interpretations that are not backed by any evidence. To say he has egg on his face only shows that the people who are attacking him are not interested in even asking his side of the story. I did ask him. This is what he said:

It is clear that Gacek stands behind his data and has had great success (90%) with his protocol. Shame on those who attack him without even bothering to hear his side of the story.

2. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I'm on Valcyclovir.
    Dr. Gacek is a highly regarded professional in his field. It's a shame that more research isn't being done to prove his theory. Instead people who desperately need a chance to control their symptoms are left suffering.

I'll stick to the Antivirals.

3. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks for that. I am not sure anyone attacked Gasek. If they did, who cares? We are here for one reason to help each other with a horrific disease. It is interesting though. How could the medical establishment honor Gasek study? As I said in a previous post, I did see a study where Gasek could not reproduce his results. I will try and find it. So are.they basing it on that or the desire to make money on more costly procedures? My doctor who agreed to prescribe anti virals said his highest success rate is steroid shots. He has not had Gasek's initial success. Good health to all.

4. imback

imback Member

Aug 8, 2014
    It is supposed to say how can the medical establishment IGNORE his success.

5. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Thanks for the post. I'm pushing my primary doctor this week to change from 800mg acyclovir daily to 3000 mg Valtrex. Particularly chilling comment about using the treatment to prevent the disease from developing in the other ear. I'm not sure I could handle this thing migrating to my other ear.

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    It's possible that gacek's theory is wrong but antivirals still work for many if his theory is that ALL menieres is caused by a virus. Maybe only half is caused by a virus since there is no definition of menieres other than not caused by anything that can be detected. But if half is caused by a virus then those half want to give it a shot and see if they can benefit. I think it is wrong headed to argue about whether anything causes or cures ALL menieres cases. I think that all or nothing where all or nothing does not apply has impeded progress on the treatment of menieres a great deal. I think if they would spend more time detailing what works and for how many with which particular symptoms the picture might slowly appear and we would find out the several things that have been lumped together under the label menieres and suddenly, the mystery would be solved. Sorry about that runon sentence. ;-)

7. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Yes, this is particularly important. Even a laby cannot stop the progression to the other ear if it's going to occur.

8. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Very Interesting stuff if you ask me?
    Dr. Gacek in his response says it is a New Treatment, yet his papers, research and practice has been prescribing av's for 2 decades.

If Gacek and this world renown hospital were getting and duplicating the success rates of 90% surely they would investigate further and continue to allow him to continue prescribing them. You just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater without further investigation or a least sponsoring a trial. It is basically a hospital telling Gacek that all his academic papers, research and documented patient success over the last 20 years or so was a sham/placebo and that he has to stop.

I think it would be interesting to know now that Gacek (the pioneer and father of Av use for mm) cannot prescribe AV's but i am sure is still seeing patients.......what is his treatment protocol and flow chart for treating this shitty disease now?

What does Gacek say to all those patients he has seen for years who have received benefits and have been cured of mm because of Av's?

Something just does not add up. I feel absolutely awful for patients and sufferers who have traveled across country and from other countries to see him just for his pioneering work, research, papers ect.......I assume many if not most people go to him because they have read his published papers or heard about him on a forum ect....... and is success with AV's. Now just like the snap of a finger after almost 20 years, thanks but no thanks......VERY SAD!!!

I also wonder where does this lead House Ear and Dr. Dereberry.....surely she is aware of this.

I would probably assume that Gacek and his son in Alabama have talked and discussed what has transpired, i wonder what his thoughts are? It would be my recommendation to call the son, as i am sure if Daddy Gacek was getting those results the son would surely be using Av's in his protocol.

Just an awful blow to the mm community IMO and especially those that want AV's as a treatment option.
    Shame of U Mass Hospital!!!

9. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Havent doctors prescribed antivirals for labyrinthitis forever?

Also, are you sure gacek is the first doctor to use antivirals for a so called menieres patient? I doubt that. I think this is a manufactured controversy because we lack contoversy ;-)

10. Lilli

Lilli Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm new and had never heard of Gacek. I looked him up at the American Board of Otolaryngology. I was surprised to see that he doesn't have a specialty (I expected Neurotology) and he also doesn't meet the maintenance of certification requirements. Just FYI.

11. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Oh my
    Uh oh!!!!

12. yellow

yellow Member

May 13, 2014
    OMFG!

So he is just a quack, and the whole AV thing has been no more than the work of a snake oil salesman. People have been cured by the placebo effect!

Time to lie down in a darkened room and take fresh stock.....

13. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    LOL. Some people are so desperate to troll that they'll make up any kind of nonsense about Gacek.

Fine, don't take AVs. It's not like that hurts the rest of us whose lives are now normal thanks to this protocol. :)

14. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    And I know who one of the trolls are, actually two.

Antivirals are helping me as many others here. I learned about it here and all I had to do was call my OTO and she saved me a 75 mile drive each way by putting the script in for me. It definitely didn't seem like she's never heard of it and when I talked to her she claims that she's prescribing it for Menieres patients.

I will say the Acyclovir had me in remission and boom, it's back.
    So I called her and specifically asked for Valcyclovir-1000mg-3X a day. It's been a few months but I'm back on track.

I also learned here that there are specific manufacturers of Antivirals that worked best for others. So I requested her to put Northstar manufacturing on the script.

So my question is this:
    Where did all of the above information come from?

Exactly!

15. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    It came from quacks!!

[​IMG]

;D ;D ;D

16. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    It is kinda important when a Dr. Who claims to know so much about mm does not even have a specialty and does not even keep up the maintence requirements for his license.

Sorry but that is a little odd and now a hospital says no more to one of the so called great doctors who is looked upon as a savior for mm.

17. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Then don't take AVs. It's pretty simple.

And hope your other ear doesn't go down.

18. Lindy56

Lindy56 New Member

May 13, 2014
    I wanted to post this. This is a doctor in Tampa. I've seen him in the past. He has information on is website about antivirals and Menieres. It's Tampa Bay Hearing and Balance Center. He also does Telemedicine which is nice for some people to have that option for second opinions. I just seems unlikely if antivirals don't work at all the clinic would be using them.

http://www.tampabayhearing.com/

A growing body of peer-reviewed, published research suggests that viruses like Herpes simplex (the fever blister virus) and Herpes Zoster (the shingles/chicken pox virus) are the likely cause of Ménière’s disease.[4], [5], [6] We postulate that acute release of virus-related proteins affect inner ear fluid pressures. For those with a history of cold sores, or with evidence of high viral antibodies from a simple blood test, symptoms can often be improved substantially with long-term antiviral medication. The antiviral medication does not kill the virus but suppresses it by preventing the virus’s ability to infect additional cells. A person needs to be on the medication for a few months to notice any significant improvement. Long-term use of antivirals carries a low risk of depressing white blood cell counts or of inducing an allergy to the medication.

Even without antivirals, over 70% of patients spontaneously improve within 6 months with just diet control and a diuretic. Up to 85% of patients have a spontaneous cessation of vertigo and imbalance problems within 5 years. It appears that adding anti-virals improves the rate of establishing control, improves control rate to 85% [7] much sooner, and decreases the risk of recurrence. Being in a hurry to employ surgery or other invasive management make be overly aggressive management. For the 15-30% who persist with highly troubling vertigo spells and fail to establish early control, invasive treatment options do exist. These other treatments are listed below from the least to the most destructive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Lilli

Lilli Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks so much for posting this, Lindy56. This is very helpful.
    For me, personally, I needed to see that a board certified ENT with neuro specialty who keeps up his certification is actually recommending this. Now I feel less timid about bringing it up with the Dr. Thanks.

20. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    How about dr derebery at the House Ear Clinic in LA? She uses famvir but has told me if my insurance only covers acyclovir she is ok with that. I do not know the specifics of gaceks claims or regimen but Dr Derebery does rx antivirals for CH and Menieres and has had good results. I do not know that she makes any claim that menieres is always caused by virus, i doubt that.