1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Gastro element to Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Jeff Paul, May 22, 2019.

1. Jeff Paul

Jeff Paul New Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Might be a weird question but has anyone experienced MD symptoms based on the state of their gastro system? It seems odd to me but pressure "down below" seems to cause issues in my head. I was diagnosed with MD in 09/2018 and my current ENT has been following conventional treatments but truly feel there is a gastro factor he doesn't seem to want to consider. I appreciate anyone's input if they have seen similar issues. Thanks!

2. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    I personally do not, however they say the gut is the second brain...there could be some sort of correlation.

3. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    There certainly can be a connection between gut health and MD. Is there definitely a connection? Who knows? I think doctors a still trying to figure out all of the benefits of gut health and how it correlates to overall body health.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Harvard says there's nothing definitive on the much-touted gut-mind connection of the last decade. Probiotics etc. Yogurt and probiotic pills did nothing for my MM. (Obviously, on a separate subject, eating junk makes you feel bad.) But as far as a stomach-bacteria-brain connection, the jury is very much still out in the rain on a smoke break.

What sucks about Meniere's and the stomach, is how at the beginning of a spinning attack, many of us have to try to stumble our way to the bathroom with sudden upset stomach. And if we don't make it, it'll be a seriously icky 12 hours in bed.

5. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Neurologists at research institutions are studying how the microbiome can drive or affect auto-immune disorders and a variety of chronic illnesses. I think there likely is a connection, but it will be some time before more good information is available to all of us.

6. Dario

Dario Member

Apr 30, 2019
    Melbourne
    Hi, I have always suffered from an ordinary digestive system so who knows - it may very well be. I haven't looked into it though. With MD I have come to realise that anything is possible. Doctors don't really know much more than we do as it's not an extensively researched condition. Good luck with it all and sorry I couldn't be of more use.

7. Rgv

Rgv Member

Mar 30, 2019
    I have celiac, another auto immune deal, and am lactose intolerant so who knows ? Maybe some correlation but doctors have no clue
    Plus hypothyroid to really rock the boat

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I know reflux can affect ears. One of the first things de derebery did was look for that. I do have reflux but i do not think it was considered a factor. Allergies were definitly a factor and also virus.

9. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Joney, your post made me laugh. As a male, I 'm pretty darn sure that
    the "second brain" is not located in the gut.

On the serious side, I've never noticed any connection associated with my
    food-processing innards. I have, at times experienced bouts of vertigo
    accompanied by a stomach flushing (yeah, the D word).