1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Gent perfusion

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Saera, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Good for you! This did make me kind of giggle as I thought when you said “it’s like trying to read while on a trampoline”, I’m wondering how straight your lines were. ;) At any rate, I’m quite sure your fiancé will be so proud of you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Thanks Joney! I did pretty okay.

I write a blog for my family and friends and it’s kind of my niche. I love to tell stories of MM and bring humor to even the crappiest of times. So it’s what gets me through.

I think because I’m doing daily drops that my recovery is a tad different then say Anne’s. But I feel like I should be feeling my worst now. But I’m actually feeling like I’m on the compensation side of things even though I’m still doing drops until 8/1.

But I do confess I worry it could mean it’s stopped working. So I guess we will see.

3. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Haha -- mowing the lawn was one of my first productive activities, too -- 5 days after the roto-rooter job. So much nicer to use a mower than a walker!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    5 days Clare???

That seems awfully soon after a laby to be out doing that? Holy smokes!

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yeah, I don't recommend that much activity right after surgery (which included a BAHA skull implant). I was just so energized being free of fear for the first time in decades that the world was mine to conquer!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Saera
    For lots of my bad decompensation days, it would all feel worse as the day wore on. I guess the brain gets tired!

Mowing the lawn vs. The Blair Witch Project! Ha! Thanks for some humour!

7. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019

You so brave!! Bada$$!

8. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019

I feel like they are quite similar! Lol. It was so bouncy and awful. I was worn out for sure.

I do feel better everyday. But still struggle with stores and lots of movement or mowing the lawn. Hahaha. So I’m hoping it’s still doing it’s thing. I will do surgery but would really love to not have to. Fall is really busy for my family. Fingers crossed!

Today is day 14 and no vertigo or drop attacks thus far.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    How is it today, Saera? Thinking of you!

10. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Today I’m out on the deck. Made it through target with my daughter today. No Valium so far. Just one meclizine (for Target). I think the daily drops is helping me recover quicker. Or they are starting to stop working. Been walking a lot! That might be helping too.

How are you? About to go see if you’ve updated!

• Like Like x 1
  11. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    The walking is key!! Keep it up. And if you made it through Target you really are doing great!!:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Maybe the injection and drops have killed off all there is to kill off, so now your brain is compensating and learning how to live without that balance centre. Maybe you’ve turned the corner hurrah! You are a trooper - Target bleh!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Day 18. Doing okay. Drove a little today on back roads and places where I didn’t have to look around quickly. Felt good to be a bit more independent.

They have tentatively scheduled my surgery for 8/28. Except I signed up to be head coach for my sons baseball coach. And that starts 9/8. Yikes! Hoping I don’t need the surgery. I don’t know how I’d pull it all off.

No vertigo or drop attacks since day two. I get panicky moments still and have trouble with balance a lot and visual issues in certain places. But I feel like I hit my bottom around days 6-9 and have been compensating since. I stop drops after Thursday and see the doc on 8/7 to decide what to do.

I’m curious as to what the hearing test will say and what her opinion will be. If she suggests surgery. I’m sure I’ll do it. But just don’t want to wake up in vertigo and miss out on coaching. But I trust her.

Sigh. Many feelings of uncertainty right now.

14. Tacio Domingos

Tacio Domingos New Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Spain
    @Saera, have you ever taken Serc (betahistine) for your vertigo attacks? I have taken it for 10 years and it does wonders for me. I am pretty much vertigo-free. When I started taking it I was having 2-3 vertigo attacks a week.

That said, I did live in the US for a while and I am aware only compounding pharmacies sell it. And that, as a result, it is more expensive.

I don't understand why the approach to betahistine in the US does not change. I does wonders for many in Europe...

Good luck.

15. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Thank you. I have not tried it and it’s never been offered to me. Some friends in support groups here in the US have used it and did not help them. I wonder if the quality is different between here and Europe?

16. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Most of the studies show Serc to be about equivalent to placebo, though maybe a bit better with high dose regimens. Add that to Menieres randomness - something like 80% get better with placebo or without treatment at all - and it becomes very difficult to say what works. And then all that individual variability. But hey, I am glad for you that you are well!

17. Tacio Domingos

Tacio Domingos New Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Spain
    @Saera, I don't think US doctors will suggest betahistine unless you bring it up. When I lived there I asked for a prescription given I was already on it. And I did not want to move off it. It was the first drug offered to me in Spain once the vertigo attacks became frequent enough. Maybe bring it up with the doctor and see what he/ she says.

Over here they sell 8 mg or 16 mg tablets. A small daily dosage being 3 x 8 mg per day. And a high 3 x 16 mg per day.

If remember correctly (please don't quote me on this! lol), the equivalent of the 3 x 8mg dosage I was taking amounted to roughly 60 dollars a month when obtained from a compounding pharmacy. Which was a real shame given the Serc available here worked out to be about 6 dollars per month.

Luck.

18. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    So today was a long day. No drops. Finished those up on Thursday. But lots of activity and now I’m overtired and feeling wonky. Like vertigo could come. Not to mention I’m stressed because we seem to have a bathroom leak according to the ceiling leaking water on the floor below. Great! Ugh!!

I indulged in some salty shit food as we were on the move and am freaking out that I’ll have an attack.

I just don’t know how to beat the anxiety that comes with menieres. Short of laby.

So I’m going to have a low sodium snack and chew some Valium and go to bed. The leak and the impending stressful expense will have to wait. Bleh.

19. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I can relate Saera. The stress will likely cause more disruption in your cosmos than the salty food will. I learned that they play hand in hand as I turn to bad food for comfort when I crank-up with stress.:mad: For me, it was behavioral.

The bathroom leak can be fixed. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Luckily the leak was an easy fix. The ceiling? Well the fiancé will handle that and save us some money. I think total it cost us $17.00 for supplies. So yay!!

I also have my appointment coming up to see if we are doing surgery or not. I’m torn on what to do. Part of me says just get it over with and pray your recovery is easier because of the gentamicin. The other part says trust the gentamicin. Which leads to anxiety. And then it starts all over.

Big decision to be made and want to do the best things for me. Just wish I knew what that was. I guess I’ll know when I know!