1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Gent perfusion

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Saera, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    No. I get them when stressed. And it’s been a tough week. How are you doing?

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’m doing ok, I guess. Still feel quite wonky with walking, especially in the house where there’s more back and forth movement. I wake up having some subtle visual movement, but it passes quickly. I feel like I’m in a plateau, not really seeing day to day worsening nor improving.

No full on vertigo attacks so I can drive - I just give myself extra time, so I can stay in the slow lanes, and decrease the need for shoulder checks! And I can make plans with some confidence that I can do them.

I see my vestibular Physiotherapy guy today for a full assessment. Hopefully he can guide me to some improvements.

3. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I see my VT guy next week. Hoping to get back to work. I assume it will be awhile before I feel “comfortable and confident” in my everyday life. So moment to moment is how it is. Tinnitus still goes up and down and so does pressure. Which causes anxiety. But I dealt with that for a long time with no vertigo as well.

So short of a labyrinthectomy do we ever really KNOW? I’m guessing not.

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    And even with laby there’s the dread of going bilateral. But let’s not go there!

How’s it going Saera? How long is it now since your gentamicin treatment started?

5. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Nope, the laby will make you feel normal. No more anxiety!!! No more pressure changes in the ear. Hissing tinnitus/hypercusis and you will have normal energy. I am as normal as any other 49 year old man walking this earth except I am deaf in my rt ear.

I had 3 streptomycin (more powerful than gent) and 3 gent shots and I did not have vertigo but felt like shit most of the time. I am sympathetic to the laby your mm symptoms will be gone forever!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  6. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    My above post was meant for this. ((((Hugs)))) we are all gonna make it. I wanted to die at one time in my life with this and 3 boys under 10 years old with the laby I can’t wait to go to the beach and surf, water ski,snow ski, ride motor cross bikes with my older son ect...

I would get another laby tomorrow if needed....for me life with vertigo and fear of leaving your house is no life.

Praying for u Saera. And everyone else with this shit disease. ❤️

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I started 7/11 with one gentamicin shot and then drops for about 30 days. My balance is recovering. I still have a lot of anxiety and use Ativan for it. Which I know I shouldn’t but the anxiety is there. Doc won’t do a laby unless I get vertigo or a drop attack again. So this is where I’m at. Trying to accept and just have trust in gentamicin every day. No vertigo or drop attacks since 7/13. Just pressure and tinnitus that changes.

I’m going to start VT today and also resume my CrossFit. I need to get working again.

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I think our improvements will now be measured and noticeable by weeks and months.

Whenever I reduced or stopped a drug, I initially thought I was ‘worse’, but then would remember that I’d made a med change. So I would count reduced medications as an improvement. If I was suffering, I’d use it, at the lowest effective dose. So take heart!

I still occasionally use a sleeping pill. Yesterday I took some clonazepam- just needed a break from feeling wobbly, anxious and pain in my ear and neck. Got a lovely long nap out of it and felt saner.

9. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    VT was a nightmare. I’m to focus on a spot on the wall and while doing so gently shake my head no (or yes) and keep focused on the spot for 60 seconds. I want to throw up immediately.

She states this is called your vestibular ocular reflex and mine is shot from the gentamicin. I had my family do it, and they can pretty easily. So I’m to do two rounds of this three times a day until I can do it. This should help with stores and driving and things like that.

The rest of my balance has compensated nicely and probably about as much as it’s going to. All my walking and fishing probably helped with that.

Still having days of louder tinnitus and pressure but I still have the tube in my ear so that helps vent some of that pressure out and gives some relief. I am down to one Ativan pill a day (in the morning) and once I get this VT done I think I’ll be off all meds except the diuretic.

I have my moments where I still get major anxiety but they are becoming less and less.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Oh yeah I do that one too! I couldn’t even watch the physio demonstrate it at the beginning.

Maybe back off a little- do it gently, for a few seconds at a time. Challenge yourself mildly and let the sensation recuperate. Check out my longer post in the vestibular rehab thread.

11. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Oh, I remember that one. I was instructed to do it just until it made me feel sick, and slowly work up to longer times. It's not pleasant, but it does get better and really does help overall functioning.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I am struggling to do them. I’m back working and that’s already a challenge as I work on the computer. I will keep trying to stick with it though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Ugh computer. Poor you! I hope it’s going ok...

14. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I don’t even know what day it is anymore.

I suppose that’s good. Back to work. Kids back to school. Having some hormone issues that sucks but menieres wise I feel good. I have had one instance where I thought vertigo was coming and poof! It was gone. I was told this could happen.

Still get lots of pressure and some louder tinnitus but it’s manageable.

In a funk from hormones but not from MM. for once!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    That's excellent, Saera!

16. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    How do you deal with that? That's what I deal with--or rather attempt to deal with but can't. It's making my life intolerable. It affects my energy level, my appetite, my mood, everything--to the point where I can't live any kind of normal life.

17. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Good to hear, Saera!

I get those poofs too.

My hot flashes come and go. I think they were more prominent during the intense post-gentamicin recovery. My vestibular physiotherapist said that working our vestibulars is heat producing, so makes sense. I keep one of those Magic Bags in the freezer to cool down my neck and face.

I also liked a book The Hormone Cure. It’s a bit ra-ra (made me feel pressured to try too many things at once) but has some good insights and suggestions.

18. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    One thing I found very helpful for the hot flashes was to drink some ice water right away.

19. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    That's promising Saera. Good to hear you're doing better.

Regarding the hot flashes. If I were a woman I'd just jump in my pool. There's no way a hot flash could survive in a cold unheated pool. I do it to wake up sometimes in the morning. Straight from bed naked dive into pool. Works better than coffee.

20. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Pupper - After 3 surgeries on your ear you are able to dive head first into a pool with no inner ear pressure issues? That is amazing!!
    I’ve only had the shunt and they messed it up so bad I have a tube now. Cant even go underwater. That’s pretty cool!