1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Gentamicin or labyrinthectomy or wait

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Raider Nation, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Raider Nation

Raider Nation New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    So, I have MD and VM. I went to neurologist last week and he increased dosage on amitriptyline and I’m still taking timolol eye drops as well as cefaly device and betahistine. I went to ENT yesterday and have pretty much lost all hearing in my left ear. He said might as well do gentamicin or labyrinthectomy and cochlear implants since hearing is gone, but he doesn’t know if my vertigo will go away since could be caused by migraines. I’m not sure what to do. My neurologist had mentioned couple years ago that he wouldn’t do the gentamicin or labyrinth and we still had several options to try on his side. So, I’m thinking of waiting until the neurologist has exhausted all his options before going for something more drastic. Thanks for reading this and please reply with any thoughts or advice.

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    If you endure the symptoms or can live with them, it is best to endure. In about 6 months the results of the final clinical trial of the OTO-104 should come out and if they are positive they would be injections in the eardrum without side effects that would reduce or eliminate vertigo (gentamicin causes hearing loss, for example).

Have you tried SERC?

3. Raider Nation

Raider Nation New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Thanks for replying. Betahistine is serc. Just here in the u.s.a. We can’t get “serc”. We have to go to a compounding pharmacy and get betahistine

4. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Yes is betahistine, but it took a little over a month to clearly notice the effect and if I stop taking it in 48 hours I get dizzy again. I also take JOH, monolaurin, and B vitamins, but if I don't take SERC the dizziness comes back.

What dose do you take? I started at 16mg x 3 times a day, but they changed it to 24mg x 2 times a day and that was when I best noticed the effect. Sometimes becoming 2-3 days without any dizziness and when I had dizziness they did not last more than a few minutes and were very soft as from being "sleepy".

I think you can take up to 24mg x 3 times a day if you need a better effect, but ask your doctor. In any case, all the ENTs I saw the first weeks when I told them that SERC did nothing to me all told me the same thing: SERC (betahistine) takes a month to start taking effect and up to six months it does not take full effect.

And I have to say that it is true, after 40 days I started to notice the effect on dizziness and now it has been 100 days and, except for the two days that I did not take it, I start to be much better from dizziness as I said in the previous paragraph . Unfortunately this only works at 70% (in this disease nothing is 100%), also unfortunately it does not improve hearing or eliminate tinnitus; but for some it reduces the tinnitus somewhat and improves fullness in the ears.

5. Raider Nation

Raider Nation New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    Currently, I take 16mg x 3 times a day (betahistine) and I take amitriptyline and timolol eye drops, vitamins and I use a cefaly device for vestibular migraines

6. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I could not tell you the reason, but 24mg x 2 a day was more effective for me, despite being the same amount as 16mg x3. If it works for you with the current dose, don't change, but if it doesn't, ask if you can take 24x2 to see if it works better for you.

Also, it is more comfortable for me to take two pills a day than not three.