1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Has anyone had success with Medrol 4mg?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Apr 6, 2021.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    A search here came up with a few references within posts, but nothing all that substantial. For the past few weeks - as alluded to in a separate thread - I've been having problems with a sensation of fullness / pressure in (what basically feels like) the left ear. I've had one unusually strong vertigo / dizziness episode (actually the worst ever), and another - more mild but still different than the usual - the other night.

My ENT has had me on a corticosteroid nasal spray the past 3 weeks and it does seem to have helped significantly but not eliminated the problem. I reported to him the most recent episode and so now he has prescribed a dose pack of Medrol 4 mg. I never heard of this before and so had to look it up.

When I saw him a few weeks ago (following the severe episode and feeling like my left ear was completely blocked), he said he was hesitant to try any stronger steroid than the spray due to possibly interfering with the development of immunity from my 2nd moderna shot about a month ago. Thoughts or advice? Thanks...

2. JBR

JBR New Member

Nov 23, 2020
    I have bilateral Meniere's and Cogan's syndrome which required me to go on steroids years ago. I also have RA. Oral steroids are no longer a standard treatment but I have found that short term higher doses of oral steroids has helped in Meneire's flares when the dizziness/vertigo became disabling. Now the standard are the injections in the ears. These are not an option for me due to a septic reaction after the first injection into my more active ear. I have been reading about the suppressed immune response of those on steroids that can affect how the COVID vaccines stimulate your immune system. Since I have been on steroids so long, I do no have the option to not take them before my vaccines. I would think that now you are a month out from your 2nd COVID shot, your immune system has had time to start the process of building an immune response. Of course I am not a doctor and there is still so much they don't know about how the vaccines may be affected by things like immunosuppresant drugs. You did not indicate the length of the medrol dose pack but they are usually short term and should not have a long term affect on your immune system. I hope you find something that works. I know when I have a flare I would take anything offered to stop the vertigo/dizziness.