1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Having my VNS tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Pupper, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    I hope the best pupper. I had the vns three years ago and it was a good decision. Just know when you wake up to vertigo from surgery it will be the finale. Just keep active is my suggestion. I'll be praying for you.

2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Good luck Pupper. Hopefully this one does the trick. You are due for a break.

keep us updated on your recovery.

3. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Pupper, you were the first to welcome me to this forum, at a time when things were awfully low. You're in my thoughts now, and I wish you a smooth and swift recovery.

4. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Good luck Pupper! Fingers crossed

5. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Good luck!!

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Holding a good thought. Let us know how you are doing when you can.

7. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Ditto that.

8. Jsnider

Jsnider Member

Oct 17, 2018
    Pupper - hoping you are doing well.

9. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    How are you Pupper?

10. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    You guys are sweet. Just here to say I'm not dead. Just tired. Update soon.

11. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Well, it's been about a month since my 2nd VNS on Dec 12, '18. There's been no improvement. I feel the same as ever, with fluctuating dizziness (technically "unsteadiness"). After a six hour surgery I'm sure they cut the entire nerve this time. Heck, they probably cut it successfully (or enough of it) after the first VNS. So maybe the nerve isn't/wasn't even the problem. No telling what's wrong with me. Anyway, I see doc for follow up visit in about a month. He and that clinic have done all they can for me. So I consider it an appointment for me to say bye to him and see if he has any more advice. Time to see another doctor. Very disappointed. Trying to keep some optimism. Maybe I need a few more weeks.

I'm going to do some serious rehab exercises at home. I've always been a bit lazy with that. Clare you posted a video of a woman doing exercises in her living room. Can you post it again here? I'm having trouble finding things on this site right now.

12. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Here it is, Pupper:

Today I had my last visit with the vestibular therapist. It's taken a long time and some imperfect diligence with exercises/being active, but today I tested in the normal range for everything (walking while looking up/down/side to side, stairs, gait speed, backwards, turning, etc.) -- so long as they weren't done with eyes closed (without vision I have a tendency to tip over because my brain doesn't get enough balance cues from just feet and remaining good ear -- this probably won't get much better).

For me, surgery put an immediate end to incapacitating bouts of spinning vertigo, (yay!), but it did take a while to regain steadiness and balance (yuk). The first month stunk, but each month was better than the one before, and now I don't think about it except if I'm in the dark.

Be well, and remember, it gets better.

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I don’t know if these are the right home vestibular Physiotherapy exercises for what you need, but I saw on the House Ear Clinic website a video of vestibular Physiotherapy. (I haven’t looked at it yet - I’m afraid it’ll make me queasy just to look at it!)

14. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I’m sorry the second surgery didn’t give you the relief you were seeking. I hope some exercises help. I haven’t been great about doing them either, after the first 6 weeks I kind of petered out.

15. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Pupper hi I hope you regain your balance back. All I can tell you is to be as active as possible. I have had one vns on Nov 2015. I find it interesting that they can do that surgery on both ears. My question is how do you balance since your ears are no longer working? Is walking hard? How bad is your Hearing? Being through that surgery was so hard to recover from the first time. I can't imagine doing it to both ears. My good ear has been fluctuating. No bad vertigo yet but unsteadiness. I've been winderwon if it got bad again if they could do a vns on both ears. I really hope you get back to normal soon. Keep us posted please.

16. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Pupper, so sorry to hear that. Do not give up, do your physio regularly and fingers crossed you will feel better soon. Thinking of you

17. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Just so you know, I'm not stumbling around, and have no spinning attacks. But as always, I feel like you feel after 3 or 4 drinks too many.

Clare, I'm glad you're doing better. Surgery was a big deal for you, after what you went through with the first clinic. Do you do that move that lady does at 6:00, where she kneels, looks to the side, and bends over. That's funny. I'm going to do it though. Thanks for the link. Cochrane, the organization that studies-the-studies (so to speak) said vestibular rehab is moderately successful. They are very empirical, with a sceptical bent (conservative in judgement). So "moderately", coming from Cochrane, is still good to hear.

Vestibular rehabilitation to improve dizziness, balance and mobility in patients with unilateral peripheral vestibular dysfunction

Peter Rabbit. I didn't have VNS on both ears. I had both VNS surgeries on one ear. Because tests showed that the bad ear nerve was still functioning after the first VNS. So they had to do another, from a better angle, to kill it off for "certain". How did your VNS work out for you? Sorry if you've already said. I can't recall.

18. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Thinking of you, Pupper. I hope that you get some relief soon. You’ve been through a lot. Stay strong!

Mel

19. Peter rabbit

Peter rabbit Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Pupper thanks for the reply. I apologise for the misunderstanding. My vns was a total sussecc the first time. The doctor did the retro approach. My doctor is a great surgeon. The hospital told me that he does surgeries on people from around the world. Now the recovery process was rough. I did my at home balance exercises and walked alot. I wanted to get back to my job. The doc kept me out of work for three months because I'm a deputy sheriff. I will say I did go back to early. I'm thankful for my ex partner I had at the time. He really looked after me and understand what I went through. He told me after several months working that I came back to work to fast. I can't imagine going through the vns process again. I really hope well for you pupper. Be active. Don't let anything keep you inactive. I was walking my neighborhood after four weeks post op. Don't be that aggressive because my wife had to come get me. I felt my heart beat in my surgical site lol. Just do what you can

20. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Oh gee Pupper, I am sorry this was not the answer. There is one though and you will find it. What helped me after surgery was walking and lots of it. My dr recommended ‘museum walking’, that is walking moving your eyes from one wall to the next as if looking at pictures in a museum. It is hard and tedious as all the balance exercises are. Just keep walkingif you can. Good luck.