1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by No thanks, Jul 17, 2018.

1. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Quite awhile ago my doctor recommended a hearing aid for my bad ear (moderate hearing loss – 50-60 dB loss) for the purpose of managing the hyperacusis. While reluctant at first, I have been giving this serious consideration. [The hearing level and hyperacusis has improved somewhat while on anti-virals.] I have had consultations with two different audiologists.

I first had a consultation with a local Audiologist. He didn’t seem very confident that I would be able to tolerate the HA’s due to the hyperacusis, and wasn’t confident that I would benefit from them because of the distortion in that ear. He didn’t really understand the theory for therapeutic use. The quote was reasonable ($1,500), and a good portion of it would be covered by insurance. And because he is local, it would be convenient when I needed service.

Dr. Derebery at House Ear recommended one of her affiliates because she had confidence in her knowledge of how HA’s can help hyperacusis. This Audiologist is located 3-4 hours from where I live, but I decided to have the consultation. She was very knowledgeable about the therapeutic use of hearing aids for hyperacusis and although she couldn’t guarantee positive results, she stated that patients in similar situations have benefited from the use. She recommended a specific brand/model with advanced technology for adjustability in order to give this the best chance possible. The price of this aid was much higher ($3,600 for one) and she is not a provider for any insurance. I left with some hope that it may help. She stated I might need up to 5 visits for adjustments within the first year (which is a whole day off work and a 300-mile round trip).

My questions for those who have a hearing aid for a distorted, menieres ear with tinnitus and hyperacusis:
    1) Were you helped by the use of a hearing aid, specifically for hyperacusis? If so, how long did it take for results?
    2) Do you feel that the advanced technology was an important feature in your successful results?
    3) How often did/do you need adjustments?

I’m tempted to try the local option first, just to see what it is like to use an aid. On the other hand, the distant Audiologist was clearly more knowledgeable and offered a better brand/technology (and hope).

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Was not helpful to me although i did not have the kind of aid you are looking at. It just amplified my distortion.

3. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Hearing aids primary function is to amplify hearing. Anything else they accomplish is a plus. I am not sure how a hearing aid would help hyperacusis, but then my experience its that it comes and goes.