1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hearing and fullness

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Lisa, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Does anyone know it the ear fullness and
    Or hearing fluctuating is damaging to hearing?
    Or does it have to be combined with vertigo?
    I think it the fullness I experience mostly seems
    More annoying then the slight loss of lower hearing

2. Muff

Muff Member

Jul 20, 2015
    I am not sure about your question regarding the damage to hearing. But I absolutely hate the fullness. When my fullness is especially bad, my head feels like a bowling ball. It feels so heavy and very, very uncomfortable.

3. snoopy

snoopy New Member

Aug 20, 2015
    describing it as fullness is the proper feeling...I have total hearing loss in left ear and some days are better then others...

4. Lisa

Lisa Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Snoopy, do you have total hearing loss only
    With the fullness? If so was it always
    Total hearing loss? I'm not sure if I have
    Hearing loss with the fullness or not it
    Used to be quite bad the hearing/fullness now
    It seems less the hearing but more the fullness
    I just don't know if that is damaging.
    I hope not bc
    I get it very often

5. linda

linda Member

Jul 8, 2015
    MT
    I have had hearing aides since 2006, with fluctuating hearing loss, and I have experienced Hearing again since starting acyclovir and JOH regime! So I know it is still there! Today I have the fullness and low pitched tinnitus again, it discourages me, but I have to remember just yesterday I didn't have the loud tinnitus and I was hearing! So In my case anyway I know the damage has not been done at least in my left ear! I hope the same for you and everyone else!

6. Lisa

Lisa Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Thanks Linda I do get the fluctuation of
    Hearing and constant fullness (when I eat
    Sweets or carbs especially ) but my hearing
    Does come back too, maybe it is the vertigo
    That does the damage . Very weird disease

7. snoopy

snoopy New Member

Aug 20, 2015
    my hearing has not returned in 10 days with positional vertigo. Fullness and bowling ball like syndrome...I'm at a lost

8. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Excess fluid within the endolymphatic chamber - the physiological occurrence responsible for the sensation of aural "fulness" - effects hearing, yes. In theory, when said pressure breaches a critical level, the thin membrane separating the endolymphatic & perilymphatic chambers ruptures, subsequently inducing vertigo. Once the pressure has been released, this membrane heals & the fluid chemistries return to normal. It is thought that when this healing occurs the hearing recovers, although not always completely.

The Epley maneuver will allow you, alas perhaps only temporality, to remove benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) from this equation. The probability of further calcium crystals dislodging from the utricle & migrating into semicircular canals may hinge on your vitamin D levels; A recent study suggests (credit John) an association of osteoporosis with BPPV.

When you say bowling ball syndrome, how does this differ from aural fulness?

9. Vicki

Vicki Guest

snoopy did you have the epley maneuver done? positional vertigo BPPV is easily treated

10. Vicki

Vicki Guest

BPPV is also associated with MAV. vestibular migraines aka migraine associated vertigo (headache not required)

11. Vicki

Vicki Guest

http://vestibular.org/migraine-associated-vertigo-mav
    ***keep in mind the most common form of MAV is w/o a migraine**

While migraine is often associated with benign recurrent vertigo of adults or paroxysmal vertigo of childhood,5,6,7 some migraine patients also present with true benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) even after the migraine headache event has ceased. This is thought to be caused by a combination of vascular events along with an alteration of neural activity associated with the migraine event.8,9 It is believed that these changes more commonly affect the utricle and/or the superior portion of the vestibular nerve and anterior vestibular artery, rather than the saccule and the inferior portion of the vestibular nerve and posterior vestibular artery.10,11 This may explain why results within the normal range are often obtained with vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials (VEMP) testing of migraine patients in the absence of true BPPV. Similarly normal findings have been reported in cases of migraine in the apparent absence of inferior vestibular neuritis, leading to the belief that if inflammation is in fact present as a result of the migraine, and is a cause for utricular BPPV, the local inflammation of the peripheral blood vessels and/or cranial nerve branches is more prevalent in those supplying the utricle rather than the saccule. However, VEMP also now can be helpful in differentiating the clinical presentation of migraine vs Meniere’s syndrome or BPPV. Usually following a migraine event, the VEMP intensity measures are commonly hyperresponsive, whereas with Meniere’s exacerbation the affected ear intensity response is hyporesponsive, and with BPPV the affected ear latency response is typically prolonged.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Good to see you back, Vicki :)

13. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Thanks Nathan :) Been going on day trips before the summer ended plus I needed a break ;)

14. Lisa

Lisa Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Wow you guys know your stuff :)
    One more question Nathan, you mentioned
    Vertigo when the membranes rupture,
    What is goi g on when the fullness is followed
    By a loud ringing and then relief from fullness
    Without vertigo. This is always the pattern
    For me. I get a little light headed but that's
    Most
    Days anyway,

15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Mmm, I'm not sure. To think out loud I would assume a similar scenario, however in this case the result of the inner ear equalising pressure accordingly, per se - devoid of rupture. Though this newly found, relatively rapid pressure change great enough to cause inner ear stress so to induce a short lived ((?) how long does this loud ringing last for?), higher level of tinnitus.

Have you noticed how many people become so accustomed to a stressful & busy lifestyle (high pressure), that upon receiving time off (equalisation), as enjoyable as time off is, find themselves stressed & irritable (tinnitus), due to the difficultly they're experiencing while having to readjust? The inner ear equivalent of that *chuckles

The level of anthropomorphism here is so great, I feel at one with the ancient greeks.

16. Baloo

Baloo Member

Jul 14, 2014
    thought you might be interested to see some links below to research done by Prof Alec Salt at washington university schoold medicine. some of the pages are quite technical.

http://oto2.wustl.edu/cochlea/intro4.htm

http://oto2.wustl.edu/cochlea/

baloo

17. linda

linda Member

Jul 8, 2015
    MT
    Thanks for posting Baloo

18. Lisa

Lisa Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Makes a lot of sense with presure equalizing .
    My tinitus is high pitch a few hours followed by
    A low pitch for maybe 1/2 a day or so.
    Thanks for letting me pick your brain :))

19. Lisa

Lisa Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Thanks you baloo i don't know how I missed
    Your post. Very interesting and I think
    They are closer to finding better treatments and
    A cure. Nice to see there is still studinf
    This.

20. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    for me, the hearing loss was connected to the times that i have a full vertigo attack. Prior to a/v the ear pressure/fullness was there 24/7 but it was only during/around the vertigo attacks the hearing went away completely. And then each time, not all of it came back.