1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hearing loss versus vertigo: treatment outcomes

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JaneL, Apr 1, 2021.

1. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Hi everyone

I’ve been reading quite a lot of forum posts and I’m starting to think I see a pattern that people who first and primarily experience dizziness/vertigo/maybe slight hearing loss seem to do better on treatments (either medical or alternative) than those whose first symptom is blocked ear and substantial permanent hearing loss.

What do others think about this? Is this your experience?

2. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Jane, interesting observation. I certainly fall into the second category as my first symptom was blocked ear and hearing loss. But then, without the vertigo they would not diagnose meniers so I did not look for treatment for meniers until year later when the vertigo hit.

3. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Thanks Biffer, how are your symptoms now with treatment? I’m also in the same category of ear issues first.

4. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    JaneL it sounds really interesting.

My first symptoms was vertigo and I have had relief from EDB surgery.

5. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    For the past year I have had no vertigo attacks. But I live in a world of perpetual dizziness, sometimes worse than others. I feel it most when indoors. However, compared to vertigo... I can live with it.

6. IvanNew

IvanNew Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I'm at this point too, sometimes I have days when I get dizzy for 30-60 minutes and then maybe I am a few days or weeks without dizziness. I can live with it even though it is not my ideal life dream.

7. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I have cohclear hydrops, primarily hearing loss and fullness, and I did great on antivirals and allergy treatment. Low sodium and diuretics did nothing for me.

8. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    Thanks June, do you still have the symptoms such as hearing loss after the anti virals?

9. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019

I have taken diuretics on and off over the years. They help a little bit, at first, but then don't help anymore. Nothing else I have tried has helped in the least.

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    No I do not have the symptoms any more. But it took several years to get complete relief. My hearing came back except for the very highest range but that is outside the range of speech so I don’t notice. Because I only have one balance nerve to start with, sometimes my balance is not perfect but it is good enough. I ride a bike.

11. JaneL

JaneL New Member

Mar 23, 2021
    That’s amazing that your hearing came back! How much loss did you have? And how long did you have hearing loss for before it returned?