1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hello, I'm New Here

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by WileyCoyote, Aug 28, 2020.

1. WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Hello,

New here but not new to this PITA. I had my first symptoms at the age of 16 and was diagnosed at 18 with Meniere's in my left ear(I am now 45). Had multiple attacks a day and ended up having a shunt implanted, mine was more of a valve the a traditional wedge shaped shunt. During surgery my doctor found my endolymphatic sac was nothing but scar tissue.

Had been doing really well for several years, only an attack every six months or so, but since recovering from Covid I have been having a lot more issues recently. Was wondering if anyone else is experiencing that.

More happy side of me love scuba diving and am an IT data nerd.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Hi WileyCoyote,

I'm sorry you're having so many problems. I'm glad you made it through your bout with Covid and hope you don't have any lasting problems from that.

The Front Porch is the fun side of this forum. To get responses to your post, please try posting in The Living Room.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheryl

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hello Willy and welcome. As you have already been told in this area of the forum they talk about everything except Meniere. Usually happy things, but also sad things that can happen to us unrelated to Meniere.

You can ask your questions about Meniere in this area of the forum: Your Living Room

By the way I admire you for daring to dive with Meniere, I consider myself a hero for daring to go for a 20 minute run 100 meters from my house. :D

4. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Cheryl and Ivan are both correct. You can also make horrible jokes about the treatments that have failed, in order to cope. My sac decompression also failed.

Q. What did the Ménière’s patient say to his doctor before having his shunt removed?

A. “Just shunt up and get on with it already!”

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    The first question my—stereotypically Australian—neurotologist asked me was 'who do you barrack for?'.

Me - 'Mm, my father barracks for Carlton, so… Carlton, I suppose?'.

Neurotologist - 'Oh, I see. Okay, turn your head & let me have a look at you'.

He then shone his otoscope into my ear & said 'Just as I thought, shines right through'.

6. Welcome