1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Hello, I'm new here

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Sister Crow, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Sister Crow

Sister Crow New Member

Sep 15, 2021
    Hello, all! I have a new diagnosis of Meniere's Disease, though my first incident with it was 2007 or 2008. At that time my left ear was affected with fullness and hearing loss; I did a course of steroids and it went away for about a week, but then it came back and they told me they couldn't give me more, as it would damage my liver, so I just adapted to the tinnitus and hearing loss. Last year I had a similar flareup in my right ear, which was beaten back with steroid shots. I suspected the flareup was triggered by cold air blowing into my ear from a fan and protected my ear...up until late August, when I forgot and let a fan blow on me too much. Now I am going through another flareup in the right ear, with mild to moderate hearing loss, fullness and tinnitus. I've had 2 steroid shots, and I'm terrified the third one will not work and this hearing loss will be permanent. I'm lucky in that that I haven't had bad vertigo, but I don't feel lucky at the moment. What's almost worse is that I was so happy and loving life because I'd had a cancer scare in March that turned out to be benign, and I had recovered from the surgery perfectly. Now I'm anxious and fearful and struggling to hear in Skype meetings while I wait to find out if my good ear is damaged. Thanks so much for listening, I appreciate it.

2. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Sorry that you have to come on this site but welcome. You are not alone. We all have some form of anxiety over this disease and how it is affecting our lives and will in the future. The good news is that many people have found relief with a regime of supplementation and changes in diet. Some have found antiviral meds work for them. Anyway, there is a lot of info on here as you go through the forums so take heart.

Specifically look at the top two:
    1. JOH regimen (John of Ohio) - a program of supplements that is well researched and thought out
    2. Reducing sodium intake to 1500mg/day and increasing potassium rich foods

Also:
    • Visiting a chiropractor to check out the state of your neck particularly upper cervical area
    • Avoiding foods that have a high arginine to lysine ratio (ie. high arginine may be bad so avoid, but if there is equally high lysine then okay as they balance). Just Google this and there are lots of lists out there.
    • Consider IgG food allergy testing
    • If you have been on courses of antibiotics through your life, look at Candida imbalance
    • For hearing specifically consider taurine supplementation. Or read this article from Life Extension Foundation: Hearing Loss and Tinnitus - Life Extension

Best of luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. david2salsero

david2salsero Member

Oct 28, 2017
    San Jose
    I’m in the same boat as you. I have been dealing with Ménière’s since 2007. Fortunately, I suppose, I have the atypical form where my hearing has been impacted. That’s not to say I haven’t had the vertigo, but usually after an attack it has gone away within a day. The hearing on the other hand has not come back this time around. I’m now finalizing the decision to move forward with a cochlear implant. I too am on a diet control avoiding the usual foods and keeping sodium intake low. Hang in there.

4. Sister Crow

Sister Crow New Member

Sep 15, 2021
    Thank you for the welcome and the advice! I've had my 3rd shot with no results, so now it's a matter of figuring out how to move forward. David, best of luck with your implant!