1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Histamine Intolerance - Could this be a Cause?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Rubygirl, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Hey all.

So in researching something else, I came across a "condition" known as "Histamine Intolerance". And I'm wondering if this might be a thing for many of us as it seems to be linked to vertigo and tinnitus (among many other symptoms). And let's be honest - many doctors prescribe antihistamines to us OR they are giving us Betahistine (Serc) or similar which are histamine analogs (look like histamine - I wonder if it's to shut down our own production?). Either way, it seems like medically, drugs being prescribed have something to do with histamine metabolism or accumulation in our bodies, so it makes sense to try to reduce the histamine load from our diets to see if this improves our symptoms.

Here's the idea: foods you are eating either contain histamine or trigger a release of histamine in your body or you are deficient in DAO which is the enzyme that breaks down histamine. All contribute to having too much in your body which promotes inflammation and all sorts of allergy symptoms.

I started down this path after thinking about the last two vertigo attacks that I had. I was doing everything else "perfectly" (the low salt, all the supplements, blah blah) yet I still had the attacks. And what was clear is that I had inadvertently eaten something that for me triggers cold sores (lemon juice and some other acidic things). So I figured that just kicked up the Herpes virus and off we went with the vertigo. But now when I think about those foods, they are all BIG causes of a histamine blast in your body (which in turn could trigger the vertigo with our without the cold sore which I did not get in fact). And then when I think about other times when I got vertigo and possible triggers there could be some correlation again. For example, twice I got attacks following eating sushi. Well we all know soy sauce has lots of salt. But it is also a fermented food which contains a lot of histamine. So double whammy!

I have known for many years that eating certain foods (citrus, pineapple, eggplant, strawberries, vinegars, ketchup & tomato sauce, kiwi) causes my mouth to tingle immediately and can make it red. I would also get wicked heartburn with these things.... now I realize these are all high histamine foods (either containing histamine themselves or triggering its release).

Anyway, it's looking to me like there may be some merit in this. Feel free to investigate yourselves and see if a 3-4 week "elimination diet" of removing the offensive foods helps you. You can just do a search on "Histamine Intolerance" or "Low Histamine Diet"..... I hope some of you find this useful!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  2. Lilja

Lilja Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Thank you, Rubygirl, for this interesting post and theory.
    I am pretty sure the Menière attacks have something to do with histamines.
    Same symptoms and foods with me.
    So I am trying to avoid as best as I can. (When I had my last attack last May, my daughter had seen that my face and neck had been very very red before, especially the right side including my Menière ear)
    My blood pressure falls, the pulse raises.
    Before I recognized a pattern, food could also lead to anxiety attacks. They are gone since I eat and drink also histamine avoiding.
    As I am on betahistine , I'm not sure if it might be an "artificial", medicine induced histamine sensitivity.
    My daily dose ist three times 48 mg since May, double of the dose I had before.
    It seems to work, I feel much better.
    Very strange: I had to take a lot of Ibuprofen after an accident with a broken shoulder, and I had nearly no MD symptoms since this time in October.
    The same phenomenon I had twice before.
    Maybe Ibuprofen healed an inflammation.
    Thanks again for sharing your interesting thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lilja

Lilja Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Hi Jon, I am not good with abbreviations - what means HSV, OLE, ML?
    Thanks in advance for explaining.

4. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    HSV = herpes simplex virus, OLE = olive leaf extract, ML = monolaurin—my assumptions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    So yes, I have HSV, I have no doubt of that. And I'm doing the JOH regimen. Yes, perhaps saying "cause" is misleading as I do also agree that there is no one "cause" for this disease.

But what I am suggesting is that while some people get relief from antivirals - that is not enough for many. While others get relief from just a low salt diet - that is definitely not enough for many. I just wanted to point out to folks that they should look into having a histamine overload in their bodies and if they agree this might be a thing, that they educate themselves on what foods are high in histamine because many such foods are "healthy" but would be terrible for someone with high loads. Fermented foods, spinach, bananas, avocado, beans, citrus fruits for example. "Healthy"? Supposedly. But also trigger histamine release (therefore by definition, inflammation). So I believe that for some, it might be the missing link when you 're not quite getting there with the antivirals, etc. This might help get you over the finish line.

If anyone has had issues with seasonal allergies, chronic migraines, or with skin ailments (hives, eczema, etc) or like me, with the obvious tingling/red mouth after eating certain foods.... it's a definite possibility worth checking out.

And with so many of us feeling no control over "the beast", I am hoping this may help at least someone find they do have some control as they can be more careful with their diet. Worth a shot!

Interestingly enough, those motion sickness meds? Are all antihistamines. So science has understood for years the connection between histamine and feeling "yech".

• Like Like x 1
  6. MikeyP

MikeyP New Member

Jun 26, 2022
    Would be willing you explain this further.

I’m going for allergy testing in a couple of days. If any are found I’m going to get compound sublingual drops to take 3x daily for 3 years. I was told that I will no longer be allergic at the end of the process.

When you say that they might prescribe damaging meds, might these drops be the type of med you’re referring to or is it something else?

7. tek465b

tek465b Member

Feb 27, 2022
    I tryed histamine agonist and antagonist drugs and i didnt see much effect on meniere.