1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

How do you know if the gentamicin has worked?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by AnneT, May 16, 2019.

1. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    That is, roughly speaking, one thousand, six hundred & eighty metres closer to where you want to be.

*fist bump

And it wasn't you 'trying', by the way. It was you doing.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Keep up the good work AnneT:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks for cheering me on!

Yesterday was rough, with more wobbly gait and nausea. I also had a couple of almost vertigo episodes - one at the computer, and one while chatting. Caved and took some Gravol and clonazepam. Didn’t bother with vestibular Rehabilitation exercise. Walked with a cane for 5 minutes. Harvested some mint in my garden. Rested lots. Painted a little. Made easy dinner, but got hubby to take stuff out of hot oven because it felt risky.

Day 11. Today I got my hubby (family doc) to look in my ear. Sometimes it feels a bit sore. He says it looks a little inflamed and retracted (like pressure on an airplane) but no signs of infection. Our otoscope battery is a little low, but he thinks the hole is closed but still healing. I’ll stay hydrated, suck lozenges etc to try to release the pressure.

4. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Hang in there, Anne.

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    There is no turning back AnneT. I doubt you would seriously consider it. Onward and upward is my new mantra. We gotta rid ourselves of this beast. I'm looking forward to my VNG tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Managed to be a passenger in a car for 20 minutes, enjoy a river walk and picnic with one of our sons - groovy glasses, hat and cane helped.

I think my brain is working really hard to adjust, as I get very tired and groggy.

Sometimes I see and feel a really slow counter-clockwise thing with my vision - not fast enough for me to label it vertigo. ( I think all my attacks were clockwise.). Anyone else had this post gent?

Emotionally, I’m working for the optimism. But also feel like on one hand, I have nothing to do, and on the other hand, I can’t keep up.

I’m treating myself to a sleeping pill tonight. And will phone my vestibular Physiotherapy dude tomorrow.

7. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    AnneT it sounds to me like you are making progress and doing all the right things. You will be tired as your brain adjusts. I never had the vision issue you described. Taking an afternoon nap is always a good thing after your walk to calm down. Keep soldiering on each day should start getting better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yes, the brain is working really hard, and it is very exhausting. I think the recovery from gentamicin is similar to the recovery from laby surgery. I had similar vision issues for a while which cleared up in the first week or two post-laby. All of your symptoms are good signs that the vestibular function in your bad ear is undergoing the destruction that will end your vertigo. Tell your vertigo anxiety system it can shut off now.

My vestibular therapist cautioned me to avoid vestibular depressants like benzodiazepines, alcohol, etc. during this period. You want your brain to really connect to the vestibular capability on your good side, so it's got to be in top shape. It's great that you're walking so your brain can pick up those proprioceptor signals from your ankles and leg muscles. Do the one-foot standing. And work the vision exercises as well. As redwing1951 said, indulge in naps, and keep soldiering on. Anticipate the discomfort you feel now may last over a few months but it will decline noticeably each week, exchanged for increased confidence and functionality that bring meaning back to your life. It's truly a time to be hopeful!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks sooooo much for that Clare!

I’m on day 3 of pretty constant but slow counterclockwise vertigo. I sure just want to drug up and hide away, but all I’m reading says exactly what you say too.

I’m booked to see the physio tomorrow for a full assessment - I’d love his input right now, but not sure it’s useful to do the assessment, since the situation is still in flux, while still so early and feeling yucky? Or should I go anyway and view it as more activity? Hmmm.

I read that caffeine and amphetamines (Ritalin etc) can speed vestibular compensation. I’m on a low dose long-acting Ritalin, Concerta for mild ADD, so maybe I’ll bump up that dose. I’ve been off caffeine but maybe I’ll treat myself to some green tea and half-caffeine coffee.

And yes I’ll keep walking and doing the rehab exercises. And napping!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    At my post-laby assessment the vestibular therapist had me do various activities -- walking, standing on one leg, eye movement, head movement, and so on. With that she was able to quantify a baseline of functionality at that point in time. That proved useful later on in determining the percent of improvement over time.

The other thing the initial assessment did was allow the therapist to observe and tailor exercises that would be most helpful over my progression. The set of exercises I started with changed at following visits. For example, oscillopsia was more of a problem in the early days, so exercises to focus on a point while moving my head was important. It was months later that I stood on one leg and tried closing my eyes (still have difficulty with that). She tried to keep my exercise time to a minimum by prescribing only the most productive activities. Knowing what the purpose of each exercise was and how it would help me regain function made me know what hopeful signs to look for. The exercises never made me sweat, but they unquestionably were mentally exhausting.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Both physically & psychologically, in this instance, the irony of actively drugging up & hiding away lies in the allowance you grant that which you hide from to likely metastasise, & grow to scales that become impossible to escape.

*nods… exercise your proprioceptors whenever possible.

Added to this equation, by voluntarily exposing yourself to scenarios, such as physiotherapy, that may trigger balance related social anxieties will allow you to enter these given scenarios in a braver manner every time you expose yourself to them.

Emphasis is placed on voluntary exposure. A stressor imposed voluntarily activates psychophysiological systems associated with approach & challenge, as juxtaposed to a stressor imposed involuntarily which activate systems associated with defensive aggression &/or withdrawal—which may lead you to back to the desire to drug up & hide away.

The systems associated with approach & challenge a) feature positive emotion, rather than negative emotion, & b) are much less hard on you, physically & emotionally, as involuntary systems will have you push your peddle to the metal while your breaks are on.

Moreover, by viewing yourself as a creature who's ready to apply stressors upon yourself willingly on a habitual basis, to take risks in a non-naive way, & to act in a voluntarily courageous, forthright manner while encountering the world & the unknown, will allow you to forge & harbour something within yourself to behold. Something you can subsequently use to "treat", award, & comfort yourself at night, or during moments that you would otherwise resort to the comfort of sleeping pills.

Decompose what may at times appear to be a monolithic, unclimbable cliff face into much smaller, manageable footholds. View not the difficult days ahead, the rate in which they will come, or the difficult weeks or months ahead, view instead the intermediate, smaller, manageable, & easy to reach footholds amid the larger spans, one step at a time, one minute at a time.

12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    (Please do excuse any possible typos or grammatical errors that my eyes simply aren't noticing at this moment. It has been a long & exhausting 48 hours)

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Clare
    I’m still in this slow spin and nausea. I hope the physio and I can do something useful tomorrow in spite of it. Although, even if we have to cut the appointment short, I’m sure he’ll be able to give me some guidelines to help me through this. Aaand... I’ll be providing some useful education to him, being his first post-gentamicin patient. Im assuming he’s seen other patients with similar situations (laby, acoustic neuroma etc.) but perhaps will ask.

Nathan,
    Amen to all that. I’m refraining from any sedatives now. The only way out is through. I catch myself thinking “I don’t know how much more of this I can take” - so yes the moment to moment approach gets me through so far.

At least I know the gentamicin seems to be providing the intended effect! Ugh!

14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Ha. There it is. 'Gentamicin' in its full, unclipped, beautifully sounding form.

Excellent, as I was beginning to question the purpose &/or services provided by public rooms labeled 'Gents'.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Bad bad night of vertigo. Took Meclizine to prevent puke. Taking clonazepam now to try to make it more manageable.

Maybe this is how people feel when they wake up from a laby?

So much for Dr Hwangs statement that gentamicin wouldn’t cause vertigo??? It’s been 5 days of it now, each day worse. I’m getting scared I’ll never turn the corner into vestibular compensating.

Cancelled Physiotherapy- can’t drive like this, testing would be torture, and not valid because of drugs.

Ok that’s more typing than I thought I could do but nausea again Please send positive vibes

16. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    AnneT sorry you are experiencing such awful side affects. I hope you turn the corner soon. Try to rest and don't let anxiety take over. I know easier said then done. Positive vibes coming to you right now!

17. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Anne -- so sorry you are going through this. In your post just after meeting Dr. Hwang she mentioned that the worst imbalance would come about 2 weeks post-injection. That's where you are now; hopefully the awfulness will begin to subside and you will start seeing improvement week by week.

In the database there is a thread from 2015 by mbach. Here's an excerpt:
    The "off" feeling was fairly profound for around 2 weeks once it kicked in. I had at least a week where it was strong all day. Then things slowly and I mean very slowly began to improve. If I had to drive myself to work, I would assume 2 weeks into this I probably could have. Not including the first week while i was "waiting" for the Gentamicin to take effect. I suppose many people could go to work right after the injection and just wait for it to take effect before taking a leave. It didn't just begin like a ton of bricks hitting me in the face, this was a gradual build up. So you would have time to figure out what to do.

Believe that it will get better. There is a bright light at the end of this tunnel.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks ladies.

Dr Hwang’s office staff got back to me. Dr Hwang is away, but gave her answer to the staffer by email. She is sticking to her story that “gentamicin doesn’t cause vertigo”?? therefore I’m just having a bad Menieres time (never had it this pattern before)??, the gent isn’t working (so what about the other jumpy vision symptoms that are new?) and we’ll do another injection when she gets back.

I’m ok to go along to get along, as long as I’m getting the treatment that makes sense. My understanding is that a second shot does increase the odds from 80 up to 93% chance of being vertigo free, but her opinion just seems strange to me. If you kill off the vestibular input, why wouldn’t vertigo be a possible part of the off-balance period? Maybe I’m wrong... maybe the gent just altered the expression of my Menieres? But usually my vertigo would last a few hours or less (not days), and usually be relieved with drugs and sleep (not this variant).

19. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Ok, I’m not losing my mind. I just found an article by Dr. Timothy Hains that mentions gentamicin causing this temporary vertigo.

20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Aaaand... the physio phoned me! He agrees with my interpretation of what’s going, and chuckles in bafflement at Dr Hwangs take.

He advises not to do any rehab exercises until the spin stops, that my brain is doing enough work with that going on. To move slowly, take drugs to prevent nausea and vomiting, and to wait for 1-2 good days before I start trying to catch up on chores etc.

And he’s totally ok with me booking appointments and having to cancel last minute as needed. What a lovely man.

• Agree Agree x 1