1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

how to cope with hearing loss & balance problems

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by verti, May 21, 2014.

1. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    I'm bilateral, pretty much homebound except for doctor visits. Last week I had to go to hospital to have blood work done. From where I was sitting I couldn't actually see any of the nurses but I kept hearing someone call my name. I could not tell where it was coming from. I finally got up, walking like I was drunk, trying to get myself oriented so I could find the person calling my name. Not having any balance to speak of, & hearing distortion, I can't tell you how disoriented I felt & I was having a good day for me. I was thankful I wasn't having the vertigo. How do you cope with this? I don't ever want to leave my home again.

2. sirlanc

sirlanc New Member

May 20, 2014
    Be active, walk, run if you can. The brain has an amazing ability to adopt if you give it a chance. If its hard to walk or run do simple balance exercises, stand with your feet together and move your head from side to side slowly at first.

Staying in doors might seem like a good idea, but walking outside into the world is the route to a better future.
    Be well
    Be strong
    Chance are that things will get much better

S

3. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Verti

Do you have any balance function left in your ears?
    Have you considered a CI?
    Do you still get vertigo?
    Maybe use a stick, cane or wheelchair if needed?

Hang in there!

4. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    Thank you all. My balance is pretty much gone. I still get what I call a "spin" that makes me nauseous & have to sit down. I also get what feels like someone has hit me in the back or head & I almost fall. So far I've managed to catch myself before I hit the floor or wall. After all these years I still live in fear of full blown attack. In order to walk to bathroom at night, even with 2 - 40 w lamps on, I have to hold to the walls & scoot my feet to keep from falling. I also have Dysautonomia which probably makes it worse. I've tried balance exercises many times but always have to hold to a chair. I wouldn't dream of trying to run, altho at one time that was an important part of my life I loved. I can see now I will always live my life in anxiety & fear.

5. Karenplus8

Karenplus8 Active Member

May 12, 2014
    ohio
    I have balance issuses as well and one that has helped me a lot is to get a walking stick. It helps a lot. When the world is sliding out from under me I can stop and use it like a wall. Also when I go somewhere like a doctors office. I tell the lady I am going to sit there I may not hear them call my name. They usually come get me then if I don't hear them. I also try to go sit outside somewhere every few days. I practice focusing on one thing and walking to it outside. I have convergence problem with my eyes they don't want to work together. So the first thing for me when an attack is coming it my eyesight. Anyway.... I think you might feel better if you just get outside. I purchased my stick from Brazos online.

6. chermcgr

chermcgr New Member

May 14, 2014
    I am bilateral and walk into things all the time. I did not leave my house for 4 months. I finally started a counselor and thinking of trying Vestibular rehab again. I think it is tough mentally but I got try to live a life. I just am always bruised and afraid ppl will think I am drunk.

7. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Verti, I relate to not knowing where sounds come from. I have no balance in one ear but have been able to compensate very well over the years. I can see that your situation is more challenging than mine but I have a few suggestions.

First, when you go to a doctor's office or hospital waiting room, tell the receptionist where you will be sitting and that you are hearing impaired. Ask her to have someone come get you when it is your turn. Tell them no matter how loud they yell you will not know where the sound comes from. Most will be happy to oblige if they know what they are to do.

Then, do you use a walker, cane or walking stick? This can make a big difference in getting your bearings.

Finally, the more you walk the better you will do. You will not regain normal balance but you will do better and be more confident. I think it is important to go out and do some fun things, not go out only for doctor's appointments. It is really motivating. Do as much as you possibly can, just always do it in a safe way. Watch those cars, steps etc.

8. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    Thanks for all your help. I do feel better mentally when I go out even if the trip was stressful & I am exhausted. I will enjoy being out more once the pollen is gone & summer is almost here. I seem to feel better in hot weather. Good luck to you all!

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I've learned that:
    the days are long, so I need to fill them.
    I take a rest every afternoon.
    Better to be occupied/engaged - fatigue is easier to cope with than loneliness and anxiety.